University sector bound by constraints that kill innovation (1 Viewer)

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/hig...-kill-innovation/story-e6frgcko-1226892513741

"In an ideal world, government would fund universities differently for different types and quality of education. But in a challenging economic climate, this is unlikely to happen. An alternative is that government deregulates the amount which universities can charge for the student contribution to education."

"Previous attempts to deregulate student contributions have failed because an arbitrary cap has been placed on the amount that can be charged. Any price competition which might have eventuated beneath that cap evaporated as institutions moved in lock-step to match it."

Do you think that they should remove income caps on universities and de-regulate fees?

I think this is a good idea as this would give universities the income required to expand services, and to improve the quality of their education. This would improve it's reputation, attract more international students, and vice versa....

Last edited:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Nah universities have too much money any way.

We have BBQ's every two weeks which probably cost $800 for just our society. We have heaps of cash already so there is no need as we still are improving (and still are in terms of renovating buildings and stuff).

So money at UNSW is not an issue afaik.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

We have BBQ's every two weeks which probably cost $800 for just our society. We have heaps of cash already so there is no need as we still are improving (and still are in terms of renovating buildings and stuff).

Isn't that all union-related? I was under the assumption that the universities did not micromanage things like this.

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/hig...-kill-innovation/story-e6frgcko-1226892513741

"In an ideal world, government would fund universities differently for different types and quality of education. But in a challenging economic climate, this is unlikely to happen. An alternative is that government deregulates the amount which universities can charge for the student contribution to education."

"Previous attempts to deregulate student contributions have failed because an arbitrary cap has been placed on the amount that can be charged. Any price competition which might have eventuated beneath that cap evaporated as institutions moved in lock-step to match it."

Do you think that they should remove income caps on universities and de-regulate fees?

I think this is a good idea as this would give universities the income required to expand services, and to improve the quality of their education. This would improve it's reputation, attract more international students, and vice versa....
I don't go to uni, so I don't know how much money they have and whatnot, but isn't the article using the fact that Higher Education rates are rising, to push for deregulation and increase uni costs?

That's complete bullshit, look at what happened in the UK when the government attempt to lift uni fees in 2010, to save money. If the government would like to save money, they should make the selection process for academically rigorous.

By deregulating fees, unis will be filled with private school kids, and the whole system will serve "the nation" even less.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't go to uni, so I don't know how much money they have and whatnot, but isn't the article using the fact that Higher Education rates are rising, to push for deregulation and increase uni costs?

That's complete bullshit, look at what happened in the UK when the government attempt to lift uni fees in 2010, to save money. If the government would like to save money, they should make the selection process for academically rigorous.

By deregulating fees, unis will be filled with private school kids, and the whole system will serve "the nation" even less.
1) HECS isn't going to go away. Accessibility will not change.

2) Students will pay an amount which is reflective of the private earnings associated with each unit of study.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

society funds and uni funds are different

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad

That's totally separate from the university itself, the Student Union or Amenities Service is completely independent from your university... However, not paying your student amenities usually means you are ineligible to graduate...

Funds for amenities come from separate payments... either you pay or use fill out an SA-HELP form and it's paid for with HECS styled payments... the money they collect from student amenities goes to your sausage sizzles and other events...

However, I do think universities are just crying poor... I mean come on, a Melbourne University Juris Doctor costs over $100,000! there's no shortage of people enrolling, and it is a massive cash cow... If universities are cash strapped, put simply, there's must be a management issue that is an issue...

Innovation died from universities when universities became degree factories and not place that you go to for learning... If anything, deregulating fees, enrolments, etc will only make the problem a lot worse than what it already is...

Last edited:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
society funds and uni funds are different
But if there are less society funds being put in, then there are more uni funds being put in.

Either way the uni practically gives a society money when they ask and provide evidence that it is a necessity for the society.

BBQ's are said necessities lol.

That's totally separate from the university itself, the Student Union or Amenities Service is completely independent from your university... However, not paying your student amenities usually means you are ineligible to graduate...

Funds for amenities come from separate payments... either you pay or use fill out an SA-HELP form and it's paid for with HECS styled payments... the money they collect from student amenities goes to your sausage sizzles and other events...

However, I do think universities are just crying poor... I mean come on, a Melbourne University Juris Doctor costs over $100,000! there's no shortage of people enrolling, and it is a massive cash cow... If universities are cash strapped, put simply, their must be a management issue that is an issue...

Innovation died from universities when universities became degree factories and not place that you go to for learning... If anything, deregulating fees, enrolments, etc will only make the problem a lot worse than what it already is...
tbh the amenities provided would be in excess of the SSAF.

But I think that cleared it up and makes sense to me now thanks.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
But if there are less society funds being put in, then there are more uni funds being put in.

Either way the uni practically gives a society money when they ask and provide evidence that it is a necessity for the society.

BBQ's are said necessities lol.
Isn't it all done through a central body though?

It's not like a society goes up to uni admin and asks for funding. A lump sum is given to Arc (or whatever it is at UNSW) and then they distribute the money as they see fit.

Of course, the university could decrease funding but students love to cry foul at anything which involves taking away money. It's much easier to give money and be done with it.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Isn't it all done through a central body though?

It's not like a society goes up to uni admin and asks for funding. A lump sum is given to Arc (or whatever it is at UNSW) and then they distribute the money as they see fit.

Of course, the university could decrease funding but students love to cry foul at anything which involves taking away money. It's much easier to give money and be done with it.
Yeah they go through Arc. Not sure though.

I think maybe how wannaspoon said the SSAF (which mainly goes to Arc), is used for the funding.

So we are supposed to be paying for them anyway from the beginning of semester, but since the government also covers until we pay back I'm not sure.

However, now I am wondering if uni fees are keeping up to date with inflation rates (which cause the uni to spend a little more each year).

Because I think the first concern in this matter would be keeping up to date with costs which increase every year due to inflation, and then worrying about paying for other stuff to improve the uni.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)