Tony Abbott's insult to Diggers is extraordinary (1 Viewer)

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
http://www.smh.com.au/comment/smh-l...-diggers-is-extraordinary-20140711-zt28o.html

"Tony (George W.) Abbott has done it again (‘‘Abbott upsets balance between Japan and China’’, July 11). He’s quoted as saying he admires the skill and sense of honour that Japanese soldiers brought to their task in World War II. My late father, Harry, survived the Kokoda Track. Many of his friends didn’t. I’d like to ask him if he admired those qualities in the Japanese. I bet he’s turning in his grave now, as must be those who suffered in Changi, on the Burma Railway and on the Sandakan Death March."

enoilgam

HSC
The Japanese and Nazi's commited some pretty horrific war crimes, but many of their soldiers fought and died bravely for their country just like any other Allied soldiers (who arent innocent of war crimes either, albeit not on the same level). History cant be viewed in black and white terms such as good vs evil because history is indeed a study of perspective.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
did it take you 2 weeks to calm down or enough to post this

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
My uncle fought on the Kokoda Track and he did admire their courage and tenacity - hated them but admired them - same with another uncle who fought the Germans in North Africa.

These guys didn't suffer in the camps etc and so had a different view based on their experiences of fighting.

Nowadays there are regular 'reunions' of Kokoda veterans - from both sides and they share experiences - just as the Germans and French do e.g. at the end of the recent commemorations of D-Day in France the last image was a German and a French survivor hugging each other - the years have allowed us to view the events differently and allow us to acknowledge that there were brave men on both sides - as well as ghastly ones who committed awful atrocities and those shouldn't be forgotten either.

Admiring the courage of the Japanese who fought over Kokoda isn't the same as condemning the guards in places like Changi and Burma - different situations and different outcomes.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
OP of course doesn't actually care about the diggers. He simply hates the Japanese.

reallydontcare

HSC
lmao nerdasdasd strikes again
how do you have the confidence to keep posting?
haven't you been beaten down enough?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)