Labour and Liberal (1 Viewer)

zy

HSC
In a few words, how can you describe these parties and what are their overall goals and social objectives?

I want to become more educated about politics and I think this will help some members here as well. Can anyone post info as objective as possible?

Thanks,

(P.S. what would be other good resources to learn more about the goals of these parties?)

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
In a few words, how can you describe these parties and what are their overall goals and social objectives?
labor's goals are to provide for equality and justice for all peoples in australia

liberals goals are to exploit and oppress anyone who isn't a rich white male

this is what people actually believe

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
traditionally

labor = larger government (more spending, more taxation), more economic intervention, socially progressive (adopting new ideals)
liberal = smaller government (less spending, less taxation), less economic intervention, socially conservative (protecting old ideals)

labor are considered centre-left, liberal centre-right

*braces for abuse about how my interpretation is wrong/biased*

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
I say traditionally because both parties sway away from this ideology at times

for eg.

Liberal's rejection of Emissions Trading Scheme, a market-based policy &

Labor's promotion of free trade, the reduction of government intervention in bilateral/multilateral trade

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
EMT is still an economic intervention that would not exist on a free market
ETS is far more market orientated than the Direct Action policy, which involves providing companies with concessions for reducing their emissions, based on how many emissions they were producing previously.

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad
The Australian Labor Party is the party of fairness and opportunity where every one can get ahead. The Liberal National Party is a puppet of big business and stands for the few elite at the top rather than for the many. Take for example Tony Abbott's Paid Parental Leave which gives $50,000 to millionaires to have children. The LNP are anti social mobility and want to leverage Australia's future so that the mega rich get richer.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
The Australian Labor Party is the party of fairness and opportunity where every one can get ahead. The Liberal National Party is a puppet of big business and stands for the few elite at the top rather than for the many. Take for example Tony Abbott's Paid Parental Leave which gives $50,000 to millionaires to have children. The LNP are anti social mobility and want to leverage Australia's future so that the mega rich get richer.
yes getting high IQ people of means to raise more children is truly insane

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
yes getting high IQ people of means to raise more children is truly insane
Sorry, I'm not familiar with that study that draws a causal link between wealth and intelligence quotient.

Gary_Oak

Taking a Piss
HSC
I'm a liberal voter

So vote liberals, even though i don't have a reason for it

fuck labor.... im a solid liberal now.... i refuse to vote anything less than labor scum, lol

Time for me to get high, lol

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Sorry, I'm not familiar with that study that draws a causal link between wealth and intelligence quotient.

wealthier people have higher IQs and IQ is largely hereditary (see: twin adoptions studies et al.)

cho6092

HSC
Labor focuses on giving everyone a go and ensuring equality across the nation
Liberal is quite economically oriented/driven (e.g. deficit vs. surplus) and also may aspire to bring the country to become more globally competitive in terms of the economy
Also, Greens...nice intentions but often contradictory and idealistic.

P.S. I personally believe that - with the rise of social media e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Forums, Memes - current and future Prime Ministers (especially since Rudd, Gilliard, Abbott, etc. etc) will find it increasingly harder to gain the respect of the nation due to commenters influencing other commenters, as opposed to us getting info from TV and the newspaper in the old days.

Personally, I would advise you reading from a wide range of sources (mainly newspapers from both sides e.g. The Australian, Financial Review) and stay away from reading the comments on facebook,etc. However, newspapers do have their biases too. And ultimately, go with the party that aligns with YOUR own values and beliefs, not influenced by friends.

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
Such a simple question OP, but just wait for this to turn into a 1000 page argument lol.

Also, don't listen to Sathius.

Also, whenever you ask anything about politics, most of the answers are going to be biased in some form. It's in the very nature of politics.

If you want to learn more about these parties, I guess you could check out their websites. They'll obviously be biased towards their party, but you can get an idea of what each party stands for and what they focus more on.

Also, become more educated about science, industry, finance, etc. Politics is just putting all of those together in a sustainable fashion. That, plus politics is cancer.

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
Such a simple question OP, but just wait for this to turn into a 1000 page argument lol.

Also, whenever you ask anything about politics, most of the answers are going to be biased in some form. It's in the very nature of politics.

If you want to learn more about these parties, I guess you could check out their websites. They'll obviously be biased towards their party, but you can get an idea of what each party stands for and what they focus more on.

Also, become more educated about science, industry, finance, etc. Politics is just putting all of those together in a sustainable fashion. That, plus politics is cancer.
I think its a bit of a shame there is no truly unbiased source of information regarding the objectives of each party. Perhaps it should be the job of the AEC to produce a document of somesort, outlining the objectives of each party, and their respective policy suites. Maybe in some way this would reduce the need for politicians to make pre-electoral promises, which both parties find difficult to commit to, but also to simply reduce the outrage of the public, when ultimately shit changes in the political/economic landscape and promises need to be broken.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)