Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Other

Votes: 3 6.7%

• Total voters

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
3 months out, time to get the ball rolling.

The NSW State election will be held on Saturday 28 March 2015.

NSW Labor leader John Robertson has just resigned.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/nsw-opposition-leader-john-robertson-resigns-20141223-12d06w.html

John Robertson has resigned as NSW Labor leader just hours after moves began to dump him over revelations he signed a letter of request for Lindt siege gunman Man Haron Monis.

Mr Robertson's decision to quit came after senior colleagues made him aware they had planned to visit him at 5pm on Tuesday in a bid to resolve the leadership issue.

The decision means the ALP will elect a new party leader only three months before the March 2015 state election. The new leader is likely to be chosen by a ballot.

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad
You gotta vote for the NSW Labor party its something that I have been expecting. Our great state of NSW can't afford four more years like the last four years under the Liberal National Party. Mike Baird the Premier of NSW is the puppet of big business and is kicking NSW in the guts via his cuts to health, education, TAFE and the public service. Mr Baird wants to privatize hospitals and schools as well as public electricity companies. The cost of living keeps on increasing under Mr Baird and opportunities for young people are simply disappearing. You don't earn any more but you keep paying more under the NSW Liberals.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
The Baird Government appears to be relatively competent; Labor may make up a little bit of ground but I expect the Coalition to win comfortably in March. I'll be voting for them in the Lower House, and the Liberal Democrats in the Upper House. Hoping that we can have another libertarian in Australian politics after Leyonhjelm's election to the Senate last year raised our public profile.

On another note, can't say I'm a big fan of John Robertson or the Labor party in general, but the circumstances surrounding his resignation seem a bit trivial. So what if he helped Monis in a child custody matter? He was trying to get Monis visitation rights, not aid him in terrorist activities. Terrorist or not he was still a member of the community, and Robertson's job as a politician is to represent those in his community, not to judge whether they are worthy of representation. If allowing Monis visitation rights was deemed not to be in the children's best interest, which it probably wasn't, then the Department of Community Services would reject his application, which it did. It's their responsibility, not Robertson's.

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad
The Baird Government appears to be relatively competent; Labor may make up a little bit of ground but I expect the Coalition to win comfortably in March. I'll be voting for them in the Lower House, and the Liberal Democrats in the Upper House. Hoping that we can have another libertarian in Australian politics after Leyonhjelm's election to the Senate last year raised our public profile.

On another note, can't say I'm a big fan of John Robertson or the Labor party in general, but the circumstances surrounding his resignation seem a bit trivial. So what if he helped Monis in a child custody matter? He was trying to get Monis visitation rights, not aid him in terrorist activities. Terrorist or not he was still a member of the community, and Robertson's job as a politician is to represent those in his community, not to judge whether they are worthy of representation. If allowing Monis visitation rights was deemed not to be in the children's best interest, which it probably wasn't, then the Department of Community Services would reject his application, which it did. It's their responsibility, not Robertson's.
Hit the bricks pal the NSW Liberal National Party is a one term wonder as was manifested by the 2014 Victorian State election when the Victorian Liberal National Party lost after just one term of being in government. The NSW Liberal government has let the people of New South Wales down and taken them for granted. Barry O Farrel was the scape goat that the NSW Liberals used with a view of hanging on to power. We are seeing a desperate NSW Liberal government blaming everyone but themselves for the scandals and failures of the O' Farrel government. O Farrel was found to be in contempt and engaged in misleading conduct at the ICAC inquiry. Out out foul spot Mr Baird said it and will be judged against it. Good bye Mike Baird good bye.

Last edited:

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Well, empty rhetoric aside, please enlighten me on what you consider to be the "failures" of the current Government.

I feel there have been a few, but I doubt they are same as yours.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Guys kind of off topic here but do you support the Baird Governments privatization of the power line assets of NSW to get more funding for projects across NSW?

Ununoctium

Che barba
HSC
Hit the bricks pal the NSW Liberal National Party is a one term wonder as was manifested by the 2014 Victorian State election when the Victorian Liberal National Party lost after just one term of being in government. The NSW Liberal government has let the people of New South Wales down and taken them for granted. Barry O Farrel was the scape goat that the NSW Liberals used with a view of hanging on to power. We are seeing a desperate NSW Liberal government blaming everyone but themselves for the scandals and failures of the O' Farrel government. O Farrel was found to be in contempt and engaged in misleading conduct at the ICAC inquiry. Out out foul spot Mr Baird said it and will be judged against it. Good bye Mike Baird good bye.
Labor certainly isn't free of ICAC investigation either.

Guys kind of off topic here but do you support the Baird Governments privatization of the power line assets of NSW to get more funding for projects across NSW?
Privatisation of an asset does not always lead to a negative outcome for consumers. Sometimes it can very advantageous for the public as the result potentially removes a lot of red tape and improves economic efficiency, which can be seen in the case of the privatisation of Telstra. Alan Kohler, a finance expert for the ABC, argues very strongly for privatisation of power in Queensland: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-01-24/kohler-privatisation-is-good-for-qld/4482140 .

On the other hand, here is an article that generally opposes privatisation, arguing that it doesn't remove red tape but in fact creates more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/privatisation-doesnt-always-lead-to-public-good-20140112-30oqu.html .

Anyway, to answer the question, yeah I support the Baird Govt.'s privatisation of power line assets.

Last edited:

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Prices won't increase because it's all regulated by the Australian Energy Regulator. Reliability won't change because that's also regulated too.

Believe it or not, the industry has learned from privatisation in Victoria. Regulatory frameworks have evolved quickly as a result of past experiences.

There's nothing inherently wrong about the move. The only issue is how that money is managed after the lease.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
I support privatisation so I just wanted to get some ideas of why 'you' would support it :) Thanks

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
If the private sector can do it more efficient job then yes.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
I strongly support privatisation in general. Of course there are practicalities to take into account, but in the case of the power line assets I don't think there should be too many problems.

I'm more interested in why you support it though? It's rare to find a Labor voter/lefty that supports privatising anything haha.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
I strongly support privatisation in general. Of course there are practicalities to take into account, but in the case of the power line assets I don't think there should be too many problems.

I'm more interested in why you support it though? It's rare to find a Labor voter/lefty that supports privatising anything haha.
Haha I guess I just held onto it from my parents, they supported Labor and I just joined in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)