Student OPAL cards (1 Viewer)

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
So far eligible students from the following tertiary institutions will be able to apply for their Concession Opal card from early next year, with more institutions expected to come on board:

University of NSW
Notre Dame University
Macquarie University
Navitas English
Australian Catholic University
Once again, USYD fall short

emilios

HSC
i actually have no clue what all these cards are that everyone's using for transport someone pls halp

when i had to go in to UNSW for an interview i was awkwardly fumbling with coins trying to pay the bus driver...

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
i actually have no clue what all these cards are that everyone's using for transport someone pls halp

when i had to go in to UNSW for an interview i was awkwardly fumbling with coins trying to pay the bus driver...
Didn't you buy paper tickets? lol

Well you can get an Opal card when you start uni.

QZP

HSC

Yeah it's so confusing for new transport users... the buses I take in my area you can pay the driver but when I had to go to UNSW for a competition you had to buy prepaid tickets at like a newsagency or something. How was I supposed to know? Why is a newsagency even partnered with government transport...

mreditor16

HSC
yay. I wonder what's going to happen to the HS student free train and bus passes. Are they eventually going to become free opal train and bus passes?

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
yay. I wonder what's going to happen to the HS student free train and bus passes. Are they eventually going to become free opal train and bus passes?
I assume they will have student opal cards but they will be programmed so they don't charge for the trip to and from school

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah it's so confusing for new transport users... the buses I take in my area you can pay the driver but when I had to go to UNSW for a competition you had to buy prepaid tickets at like a newsagency or something. How was I supposed to know? Why is a newsagency even partnered with government transport...
Its faster than paying manually, which prevents delays and increases customer satisfaction. Sydney transport getting overhauled and has been for the past few years.

No other way to distribute tickets other than newsagencies. And tbh it would it beneficial to them anyway, cause it brings in customers who might buy something

Reactions: QZP

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

If you don't buy a mymulti for that week, then what you can do is buy a concession mybus2 travel ten for $14.40.

I always have one of them in my wallet in handy for whenever I use a bus.

If I'm only going into uni once or twice a week (especially during my holidays), then:

In terms of a return train ride, I'll save money instead of having to pay like $5.20 for a return ticket.

In terms of bus rides, the mybus2 travel ten still seems like the cheaper option.

Might use this rather than mymulti from now on.

Also, after first 8 trips with the card that week, does it become unlimited use for the rest of the week as normal Opal cards?

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
There a few loopholes that I've done. Travel 1 stop on the bus to count that as one trip. Then walk back home. Lol

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Nah the newsagency buys them and sells them to attract more customers to buy from them.

Tbh bus passes are easier as then students will abuse transport to other places other than school.

With bus passes, at least the driver can check if you are jigging school/home or not.

There a few loopholes that I've done. Travel 1 stop on the bus to count that as one trip. Then walk back home. Lol
That's pretty much what everyone with heaps of time on their hands does.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I find it much cheaper.

Get a whole weeks travel for $18.48, which is much less than a mymulti or daily return tickets.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Finally. I was hoping this would come out soon.

Going by their prices, I'd be about paying half the price I usually would for a standard week's travel. I'm good with that :).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)