Mum charged for slapping son (1 Viewer)

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/26247921/mum-charged-for-slapping-son/
"
A mother of three is "mortified" after being charged with common assault for allegedly slapping her four-year-old son twice in the face when he had a tantrum at the shops.

The six-year-old has encouraged the four-year-old to pinch an apple off a shelf, have a bite and put it back - and he has," the man said.

The 34-year-old's husband said yesterday that he believed police had overreacted by charging his wife and instead should have let her off with a warning after checking the children were not abused."

What are your thoughts on this?

IMO....

There is nothing wrong with slapping a child in the name of discipline, as long as it isn't overboard. A good slap for discipline is different to assault and abuse. Abuse is much more sever than ONE OR TWO SIMPLE SLAPS. Slapping a child for a wrong doing sends the message that they should not do it again, as there will be a punishment.

ASSAULT FORMAL DEFINITION: "An assault is any act — and not a mere omission to act — by which a person intentionally — or recklessly — causes another to apprehend immediate and unlawful violence"

ABUSE: neglect, sexual, physical and emotional abuse.

cormacshaw

HSC
N/A
Nah that's too young. You're pretty much teaching your child it's okay to hit / touch another human.
Hardly. You're teaching them discipline. If they grow up thinking that it's because your parenting is screwed up, not the physical aspect itself.

HSC
Okay, so we don't know all of the events leading up to and after the incident, however, I am of the view that the occasional (and I stres: occasional )gentle smack can be used as one of a range of tools to teach discipline. That being said, I don't think hitting a young child in the face is the appropriate action - perhaps a gentle hit on the arm or leg would have been more suitable. Tbh, I think this is an over reaction from the police. That being said, it must have been fairly bad for an employee/member of the public to call the police in the first place.

Too many things which aren't known

classicjimbo

HSC
N/A
Assaulting your own children is not the behaviour of a good or mentally stable parent let alone on a tiny four year old

The only people I've noticed that defend it
1. Were assaulted enough by their bad parents for it to be normalised and have a stockholm syndrome/apologist mentality about it
or 2. Have problems with verbal communication and envision themselves preferring to chimp out and hit their kids rather than appropriate lectures and non-violent punishment

Shaz8teen

HSC
There is nothing wrong with slapping a child in the name of discipline, as long as it isn't overboard. A good slap for discipline is different to assault and abuse.
I agree.
It's the same principle as when a child touches something hot and get burnt, they probably won't touch it again.

classicjimbo

HSC
N/A
I agree.
It's the same principle as when a child touches something hot and get burnt, they probably won't touch it again.
the child might not touch it again if the parent is there but as soon as that child is out of the vicinity of their parents and in a school yard they repeat the behaviour because all it taught the child was not to do the thing in front of their parents and not that the behaviour was wrong

or even worse the child learns to anticipate pain and intimidation from every superior or authority figure in their life and becomes a meek spineless person

and even worse yet that hitting is a normal punishment which they then bring to the school yard and begin to assault other children when they feel wronged

i work with children i see it all the time, these assaulted children are not well socially adjusted

enoilgam

HSC
I've always been sceptical of this new age thinking - corporal punishment has been used for ages against kids, Ive never seen why we should stop. I mean, I got hit and I turned out fine. I never remember all the stupid "naughty corner" punishments, but I remember copping a hiding from my dad when I was three. That I wont forget.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
I didn't get hit and I turned out fine. So I would never hit my kids.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
I did get hit and I turned out fine. But I would never hit my kids and take other method like reasoning and explaining why they're wrong and not to do it over hitting

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
I agree.
Forcing a child not to do something bad by shit scaring via physical trauma has no effectiveness in deterring them from shitty behaviour when ur not gonna find out and doesn't actually teach them WHAT is wrong about what they did, which should be the main point of discipline

People are less likely to do something bad if they actually UNDERSTAND why it is bad, otherwise it's just a matter of not doing it if their parent is gonna find out and hit them for it

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Forcing a child not to do something bad by shit scaring via physical trauma has no effectiveness in deterring them from shitty behaviour when ur not gonna find out and doesn't actually teach them WHAT is wrong about what they did, which should be the main point of discipline

People are less likely to do something bad if they actually UNDERSTAND why it is bad, otherwise it's just a matter of not doing it if their parent is gonna find out and hit them for it
Here goes Kira posting on my behalf again LOL

Bingobango

HSC
What happens when you catch you kid hitting someone and you hit the kid to discipline them? :tennisclap:

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
I just don't understand how even thinking of hitting your own child goes through someone's mind. Like wtf, who thinks "oh I'm going to use my hand to hurt my child" or "I'm going to hurt my child to make him/her be good"???????? Doesn't even make sense and is really weird IMO.
You're right, it doesn't make sense, which is why the reasons for disciplining are not "oh I'm going to use my hand to hurt my child" or "I'm going to hurt my child to make him/her be good". If you're against something, fine, but at least understand the thing that you're against so you don't make a fool out of yourself again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)