Federal Budget 2015 (1 Viewer)

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
why is everyone complaining about the paid parental leave scheme being greatly reduced, last year so many people (including myself) questioned why the FCK this policy was being introduced in the first place, and now when Abbott fixes it up people are complaining about it?

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
^ Welcome to politics lol

Also, AFAIK the university fee deregulation is still on the budget right? Quite surprised there's not much talk about that though, I guess maybe it's lost its shock value.

Axio

=o
HSC
^ Welcome to politics lol

Also, AFAIK the university fee deregulation is still on the budget right? Quite surprised there's not much talk about that though, I guess maybe it's lost its shock value.
The media is tending to convey that the budget has completely changed trajectory from last year, which wouldn't be aided by mentioning policies that have been retained from last year's budget.

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
To be fair, while it hasn't completely changed from what the Libs were trying to push last year, there are quite a large number of changes. Apart from the individual changes itself, there's also a shift in how he Libs want to approach the next 10 years from an economic perspective.

I'm not talking about just the media, I'm referring to student action as well. Last year around this time, there were massive rallies and what-not being held by left-leaning organisations in university after they heard what the government was trying to do. This year, the government is still pushing for it, but no one seems to care anymore. In fact one of the the only times I've seen it mentioned since the new budget came out was from an email from USYD's Vice-Chancellor.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
why is everyone complaining about the paid parental leave scheme being greatly reduced, last year so many people (including myself) questioned why the FCK this policy was being introduced in the first place, and now when Abbott fixes it up people are complaining about it?
because it's the hip thing to do to talk shit about the liberals. kinda like how everyone in the UK kept saying how labour was going to cream the tories and look at what happened.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
To be fair, while it hasn't completely changed from what the Libs were trying to push last year, there are quite a large number of changes. Apart from the individual changes itself, there's also a shift in how he Libs want to approach the next 10 years from an economic perspective.

I'm not talking about just the media, I'm referring to student action as well. Last year around this time, there were massive rallies and what-not being held by left-leaning organisations in university after they heard what the government was trying to do. This year, the government is still pushing for it, but no one seems to care anymore. In fact one of the the only times I've seen it mentioned since the new budget came out was from an email from USYD's Vice-Chancellor.
The error that the Coalition made last year was that they tried to force all the changes into one budget. The writing was on the wall after they made that decision.

With that being said, either approach has it's pros and cons.

A. Force everything into one budget
- get all the 'unsavoury' policies in the open in one hit and see what can be pushed through
- use subsequent budgets to improve the party's standing and to show that 'we learned'

B. Do everything across the the party's term equally
- 'negative' talking point each financial year
- negotiations might be easier with Senate

HecticSandWitch

2007 fuccboi hustler king
HSC
The error that the Coalition made last year was that they tried to force all the changes into one budget. The writing was on the wall after they made that decision.

With that being said, either approach has it's pros and cons.

A. Force everything into one budget
- get all the 'unsavoury' policies in the open in one hit and see what can be pushed through
- use subsequent budgets to improve the party's standing and to show that 'we learned'

B. Do everything across the the party's term equally
- 'negative' talking point each financial year
- negotiations might be easier with Senate
Problem is when 'unsavory' measures don't pass the senate and you try to pretend that it never happened, leaving you with double the level of national debt you inherited from the previous government. No doubt the coalition could've gotten most of their policies through the senate if they tried to introduce them equally over their three year term, there'd be less political backlash and maybe they'd be elected for more than one term. Don't see that happening.

HecticSandWitch

HSC
because it's the hip thing to do to talk shit about the liberals. kinda like how everyone in the UK kept saying how labour was going to cream the tories and look at what happened.
Not a single person thought the Tories would be 'creamed', every single poll before the exit polls predicted a hung parliament with a slight Tory advantage by one or two seats.

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad
As a proud Australian I too am concerned with the direction Australia is headed under Abbott government. The government is living beyond its means - as working families tighten their budgets the government should tighten its budget. Under the Liberal National Party there are budget deficits as far as the eye can see with no plan to pay down debt and get the budget under control. The Abbott government is engaged in pork barreling to win votes without regard for the national interest. The Abbott government is robbing you blind with increased taxes such as via bracket creep and other fiscal measures. The Abbott government is a high taxing and high spending government. The 2015 budget is anti youth- if you respect young people you wouldn't be tying a load of debt around their necks and it breaks your heart to see it. You can take any building and have it blown up but it will take many years to rebuild the building- that's where we are with our economy.

Last edited:

mreditor16

HSC
Tbh thought there wasn't much to this budget - mostly, trimming around the edges. A saving of 1 billion dollars might sound like a lot, but they are actually talking about the magnitude of the saving over the budget forward estimates (which is actually four years). So in a sense its only a saving of 250 million a year, which doesn't do too much in terms of helping a budget deficit of 33 billion dollars (2015-16).

HecticSandWitch

HSC
^ That's definitely not what I heard.
I'm not making it up.

The Independent had Tory's and Labour with an even split (33/33):
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...ws-labour-and-tories-deadlocked-10230273.html
The Guardian had Labour at a 1 point lead over the Tories: http://www.france24.com/en/20150507...surge-labour-but-hung-parliament-still-likely
ComRes actually gave the tories a three point advantage: http://www.lse.co.uk/AllNews.asp?co..._In_Slight_Lead_Going_Into_Final_Campaign_Day
You Gov had Tories and Labour with another even split, this time (34/34):
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/election-2...ver-labour-final-poll-before-election-1499907

There was an overwhelming consensus that there was going to be a hung parliament, with the conservatives forming government with UKIP. Making a claim that the media tipped an overwhelming Labour majority based purely on what you've heard and absolutely zero supporting evidence is just a bit silly to be perfectly honest.

Last edited:

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
I'm not making it up.

The Independent had Tory's and Labour with an even split (33/33):
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...ws-labour-and-tories-deadlocked-10230273.html
The Guardian had Labour at a 1 point lead over the Tories: http://www.france24.com/en/20150507...surge-labour-but-hung-parliament-still-likely
ComRes actually gave the tories a three point advantage: http://www.lse.co.uk/AllNews.asp?co..._In_Slight_Lead_Going_Into_Final_Campaign_Day
You Gov had Tories and Labour with another even split, this time (34/34):
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/election-2...ver-labour-final-poll-before-election-1499907

There was an overwhelming consensus that there was going to be a hung parliament, with the conservatives forming government with UKIP. Making a claim that the media tipped an overwhelming Labour majority based purely on what you've heard and absolutely zero supporting evidence is just a bit silly to be perfectly honest.
I should have rephrased it saying that most people thought the tories would lose a lot of seats. Which is still the same as getting creamed in my mind but nobody really expected the tories to actually gain a majority nor did the SNP take all of Lib dems and labours seats.

jdennis

HSC
You're right, how dare people have a negative opinion of the Liberal Party?

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
You're right, how dare people have a negative opinion of the Liberal Party?
It's not that, it just doesn't deal with political realities. Labour's support and the disdain for the liberal party is over-represented, it does not reflect election results.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)