Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 101 to 122 of 122
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Testing times: selective schools and tiger parents

  1. #101
    Junior Member kuromusha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    185
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Testing times: selective schools and tiger parents


  2. #102
    Loquacious One turntaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,956
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: Testing times: selective schools and tiger parents

    Quote Originally Posted by kuromusha View Post
    thats a pretty bad meme
    "I have crippling depression" -Mahatma Gandhi
    Quote Originally Posted by Katsumi View Post
    lol

  3. #103
    Senior Member MilkyCat_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    604
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Testing times: selective schools and tiger parents

    Quote Originally Posted by turntaker View Post
    thats a pretty bad meme
    Terrible meme

  4. #104
    Junior Member kuromusha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    185
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Testing times: selective schools and tiger parents

    How is it terrible?

  5. #105
    Senior Member MilkyCat_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    604
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Testing times: selective schools and tiger parents

    Quote Originally Posted by kuromusha View Post
    How is it terrible?
    Good idea, however,

    1. Worded poorly
    2. Clunky to read
    3. Could have chosen a better picture

    Meme level: amateur

  6. #106
    Junior Member kuromusha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    185
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Testing times: selective schools and tiger parents

    Quote Originally Posted by MilkyCat_ View Post
    Good idea, however,

    1. Worded poorly
    2. Clunky to read
    3. Could have chosen a better picture

    Meme level: amateur
    How me the way master.

    Make one that you think would not be "terrible".

  7. #107
    将来: NEET Sien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    大学入試地獄
    Posts
    2,220
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Testing times: selective schools and tiger parents

    You know it's terrible when you have multiple people criticizing it

    Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

  8. #108
    Junior Member kuromusha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    185
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Testing times: selective schools and tiger parents

    They're just not smart enough to get into selective.

  9. #109
    将来: NEET Sien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    大学入試地獄
    Posts
    2,220
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Testing times: selective schools and tiger parents

    Quote Originally Posted by kuromusha View Post
    They're just not smart enough to get into selective.
    Yea and if you're so smart,instead of begging your parents for your uni fee, why didnt you get a scholarship for uni

    Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

  10. #110
    Junior Member kuromusha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    185
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Testing times: selective schools and tiger parents

    Last edited by kuromusha; 13 Sep 2015 at 5:18 PM.

  11. #111
    RISK EVERYTHING Kiraken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,921
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Testing times: selective schools and tiger parents

    u go kuromasha! preach to these evil internet student website oppressors about the superiority of our asian people!

  12. #112
    Junior Member kuromusha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    185
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Testing times: selective schools and tiger parents

    http://tenplay.com.au/channel-ten/th...n-1/episode-12

    In the final spelling between Harrison (white), Mika (half white, half asian), Aniruth (India) and Grace (Chinese).

    The frequency of the word as given in table below, frequency taken from COCA corpus

    Last edited by kuromusha; 13 Sep 2015 at 7:21 PM.

  13. #113
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    HSC
    1998
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Testing times: selective schools and tiger parents

    @Kuromusha, I am a newbie here and for some reason, this thread caught my eye. Let me put it this way, I see nothing that you mention to be reality. If you think that asians have a high IQ, then why do their parents need to spend hordes of money on coaching. Trust me, coaching continues throughout the education years for asian kids. I am amazed at why kids with higher IQ even need to be coached. I know of so many cases where kids simply struggled to find their feet once coaching was taken off. I have to concede that asian kids have tremendous work ethics and they work very hard. Absolutely no doubt that that. But then to attribute higher IQ to kids who would otherwise struggle the moment coaching is taken off, is not something that I would agree to.

    I see that you have posted pictures of Grace Du on this thread. What you failed to see is that the kid that followed Grace on winning the NSW Premier Spelling Bee is my daughter, Sri Vaishnavi Kolluri, and we have an Indian background. The kid who won the Seniors was an Aussie girl from a Rural school. And just for records, there are a number of kids before Grace from European / Caucasian backgrounds who have won the same contest. Unfortunately, I find your arguments quite shallow.

    Coming back to selective test, yes, the Eastern Asians do dominate the scene, but that is thanks largely to their work ethics, hard work and above all coaching. I know of Caucasian kids from my daughters school, who were coached and got into selective. I know of Caucasian kids who made it to selective without coaching. I know of asian kids who made it to selective with and without coaching. I also know of my own daughter, who made it to selective without coaching. So, your argument of higher IQ being associated to eastern asian kids is quite shallow.
    Last edited by kvskpin; 10 Jul 2017 at 12:53 PM. Reason: minor correction
    Kolmias likes this.

  14. #114
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    HSC
    1998
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Testing times: selective schools and tiger parents

    @Kuromusha, So much for the perceived higher IQ level of East Asian people, can you now list out the innovations that these high IQ mobs have come up with for the rest of the world? If anything this whole place is mostly known to the rest of the world for only two things:

    1. Manufacturing - Driven primarily by the cheap labour and lack of proper labour laws, hence driving down the cost of production for the rest of the world. And no doubt, people work hard here compared to the rest of the world. So, have to give it to them.
    It is exactly for the same reasons that companies set-up their manufacturing hubs over there and the services industry predominantly in India.
    2. Fakes - No matter which nook and corner of the world you go, you will find fakes originating from this part of the world.

    Wonder where the high IQ suddenly disappears..Oops !!
    Last edited by kvskpin; 10 Jul 2017 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Minor addition

  15. #115
    the head cheese cosmo 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    cool 3D world
    Posts
    170
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Testing times: selective schools and tiger parents

    lion parents

  16. #116
    Junior Member Jaxxnuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    159
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Testing times: selective schools and tiger parents

    Quote Originally Posted by kvskpin View Post
    @Kuromusha, I am a newbie here and for some reason, this thread caught my eye. Let me put it this way, I see nothing that you mention to be reality. If you think that asians have a high IQ, then why do their parents need to spend hordes of money on coaching. Trust me, coaching continues throughout the education years for asian kids. I am amazed at why kids with higher IQ even need to be coached. I know of so many cases where kids simply struggled to find their feet once coaching was taken off. I have to concede that asian kids have tremendous work ethics and they work very hard. Absolutely no doubt that that. But then to attribute higher IQ to kids who would otherwise struggle the moment coaching is taken off, is not something that I would agree to.

    I see that you have posted pictures of Grace Du on this thread. What you failed to see is that the kid that followed Grace on winning the NSW Premier Spelling Bee is my daughter, Sri Vaishnavi Kolluri, and we have an Indian background. The kid who won the Seniors was an Aussie girl from a Rural school. And just for records, there are a number of kids before Grace from European / Caucasian backgrounds who have won the same contest. Unfortunately, I find your arguments quite shallow.

    Coming back to selective test, yes, the Eastern Asians do dominate the scene, but that is thanks largely to their work ethics, hard work and above all coaching. I know of Caucasian kids from my daughters school, who were coached and got into selective. I know of Caucasian kids who made it to selective without coaching. I know of asian kids who made it to selective with and without coaching. I also know of my own daughter, who made it to selective without coaching. So, your argument of higher IQ being associated to eastern asian kids is quite shallow.
    Quote Originally Posted by kvskpin View Post
    @Kuromusha, So much for the perceived higher IQ level of East Asian people, can you now list out the innovations that these high IQ mobs have come up with for the rest of the world? If anything this whole place is mostly known to the rest of the world for only two things:

    1. Manufacturing - Driven primarily by the cheap labour and lack of proper labour laws, hence driving down the cost of production for the rest of the world. And no doubt, people work hard here compared to the rest of the world. So, have to give it to them.
    It is exactly for the same reasons that companies set-up their manufacturing hubs over there and the services industry predominantly in India.
    2. Fakes - No matter which nook and corner of the world you go, you will find fakes originating from this part of the world.

    Wonder where the high IQ suddenly disappears..Oops !!
    if you're going to restart this convo then don't mention that kuromusha troll in this

  17. #117
    the head cheese cosmo 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    cool 3D world
    Posts
    170
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Testing times: selective schools and tiger parents

    lmao

  18. #118
    Loquacious One
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,605
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Testing times: selective schools and tiger parents

    Yea I tend to agree with kvskpin. Unlike their Indian counterparts, where would the Asian kids be without a heavy dose of coaching. (by the way, India is not in Asia) All the Chinese are good for is churning out shonky goods using cheap labour.

    Just look at India. It's way ahead of China, anytime.
    Last edited by Drongoski; 19 Jul 2017 at 8:35 AM.
    1-on-1 Maths Tutoring(IB & HSC): Epping, Beecroft, Eastwood, Carlingford & Beyond
    IB: Maths Studies, Maths SL & Maths HL; HSC: 2U, 3U & 4U
    Highly Qualified & Highly Experienced. Estimated ATAR > 9.995
    There are IB Maths Tutors and there are IB Maths Tutors.

  19. #119
    the head cheese cosmo 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    cool 3D world
    Posts
    170
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Testing times: selective schools and tiger parents

    Just look at India. It's way ahead of China, anytime.

  20. #120
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    HSC
    1998
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Testing times: selective schools and tiger parents

    @Cosmo 2 @Drongoski, I beg to slightly differ with you both. My intention was not to undermine China in any manner. It is a great country, no doubt and a country that is on the verge of taking over US as the largest economy. The point I want to differ here with is the view posted that the east Asian kids have a higher IQ over others - that is definitely not true. If anything, I haven't come across any piece of scientific analysis that clearly proves IQ to be a relation to race - It isn't. Neither is it my intention to portray India being better than China.
    seremify007 likes this.

  21. #121
    Loquacious One
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,605
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Testing times: selective schools and tiger parents

    Don't worry: India has produced Srinivasa Ramanujan, C V Raman, his nephew S Chandrasekar, S N Bose, Homi Bhabha, Subhas Chandra Bose, Gobind Khorana, Indra Nooyi, Satya Nadella, Sundar Pichai, R Tagore, M G Ramachandran, N T Rama Rao, Tata Consulting Service, Infosys, Wipro, Tech Mahindra and an endless list of very talented people in religion, philosophy and various branches of human endeavour.
    Last edited by Drongoski; 21 Jul 2017 at 4:44 PM.
    1-on-1 Maths Tutoring(IB & HSC): Epping, Beecroft, Eastwood, Carlingford & Beyond
    IB: Maths Studies, Maths SL & Maths HL; HSC: 2U, 3U & 4U
    Highly Qualified & Highly Experienced. Estimated ATAR > 9.995
    There are IB Maths Tutors and there are IB Maths Tutors.

  22. #122
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    HSC
    1998
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Testing times: selective schools and tiger parents

    Finally, something is the right direction according to me - they are trying to work out at a model that alleviates the coaching factor. Interesting read I shall say -

    http://www.smh.com.au/national/educa...21-gxfpxq.html

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •