Blacktown name change (1 Viewer)

astroman

HSC
Blacktown name change on the cards as council agrees to stage referendum

Blacktown residents will go to the polls to decide if Blacktown Council and the region should change its name.

WHAT’S in a name?

Enough to send Blacktown residents to the polls after Blacktown’s Liberal councillors successfully moved for the region to vote on a name change.

Blacktown Council last night passed a recommendation for a referendum on the issue expected to take place during next year’s council elections.

The push for change was led by Ward 3 councillor Karlo Siljeg who said the name Blacktown no longer reflected the region.

Blacktown Council general manager Kerry Robinson revealed the cost of staging an election was in the vicinity of $1.2 million dollars.

Last week, Blacktown Council released information about a rebranding exercise recently undertaken at a cost of $130,000.

The rebranding included new logos, slogans and marketing direction for Blacktown Council

Cr Siljeg had earlier suggested the region and council be renamed West Sydney but stressed the suburb of Blacktown would not be changed.

He also moved the Blacktown CBD be rezoned as a new suburb and renamed.

“There are many people who live in the Blacktown LGA who don’t associate with Blacktown,” he said.

Blacktown Ward 3 councillor has led the charge for Blacktown Council to change its name.

“A name chance will help bring back a sense of association to the region.

“Our council area is large and diverse. We need to ask ourselves, ‘where will we be in thirty years and how do we want to market ourselves in the future?’

“The people need a chance to have their say.”

Blacktown Liberal Councillors Karlo Siljeg, Mark Holmes, Walter Smith and Isabelle White were behind a push to stage a referendum for a potential name change for Blacktown Council and the region.

Blacktown mayor Stephen Bali slammed the name change idea before Wednesday night’s meeting.

“It’s the most ridiculous thing I have seen,” he said.

“It doesn’t even mean anything. West Sydney means the entire western Sydney — it doesn’t even make logical sense.

Blacktown mayor Stephen Bali opposed the idea of name change for Blacktown.

“We have 332,000 people that live in the city of Blacktown and it’s their city of choice. If you don’t like the name, don’t come.

“I think the vast majority of people are happy with the name. To call it West Sydney, it has no identification. Every other council in western Sydney is going to be upset.”

A Blacktown Council spokeswoman said further details on any potential name change referendum would be released in the coming days.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...k-lane-blacktown/story-fngr8i5s-1227469248932
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...e-to-west-sydney/story-fngr8i5s-1227469371933
http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/news...k=4d26d6b396b3bbefcd725ff29bd7328d-1438859840

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
I agree that is unnecessary. For what reason would you want to change the name?
(I understand changing maybe the council name but not to Western Sydney)

Mr_Kap

HSC
Riquel: "Blacktown really has become black town".
"When you go to blacktown it's really black-town"

Flop21

HSC
I think it's called Blacktown because it was near an Aboriginal school in the 1800s.

slapme

HSC
N/A
nothing racist about the word 'black'
soon we'll be saying 'blackboards' are racist.
I was told off once for saying "blackboard", it's apparently more politically correct to say "chalkboard"

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
I was told off once for saying "blackboard", it's apparently more politically correct to say "chalkboard"
like it's not even black, it's green. Idk who even came up with the idea of "black" board

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
like it's not even black, it's green. Idk who even came up with the idea of "black" board
The original blackboards were made up of black/dark grey slate, technically modern day blackboards are chalk boards.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
White guilt taken to the extreme... Generation of fucking soft cocks...

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
I was told off once for singing baa baa black sheep lol

mreditor16

HSC
I think it's called Blacktown because it was near an Aboriginal school in the 1800s.
IIRC it actually was going to be called "Blacks town". But when they put up the sign for the train station, by mistake, they wrote it as "Black town", and because they were ceebs, they just went with that.

D94

HSC
N/A
lol they stopped teaching that in school

but what about whiteboards?
i mean they don't have a proper/alternate name like black/chalk boards

It doesn't need an alternative name. The problem lies in that person who finds something like that racist. Why should the rest of society accommodate for their shortcomings?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)