ISIS - Are we doing enough? (1 Viewer)

Stimuli

HSC
N/A
Hi.

Curious to see what everyone's opinion is about ISIS. I've been researching the topic recently and they're reported to be worth 2 billion dollars, and make $3 million a day from their seizing of oil mines.

Despite the fact Australia has tightened its anti-terror laws by not allowing people who have fought in Syria to return, has the world acted in a similar way?

FlyingKanga

The optimistic pessimist.
HSC
I think I read only like 8% of the territory of ISIS was reclaimed since 2015. That doesn't seem like a lot.. Saw it somewhere on Reddit and my memory is horrible, so someone confirm.

Stimuli

HSC
N/A
I think I read only like 8% of the territory of ISIS was reclaimed since 2015. That doesn't seem like a lot.. Saw it somewhere on Reddit and my memory is horrible, so someone confirm.
Around 8-9%

Stimuli

HSC
N/A
How big is the threat in Australia? Even though the Sydney Siege wasn't instigated by an ISIS militant, is it the start?

Drsoccerball

HSC
If it weren't for the West and the Sunni Persian gulf regimes like Qatar, Saudi Arabia and others heavily and carelessly funding the Syrian government's opposition, we wouldn't have had any entity like ISIS.

Syrian conflict has always been between the Sunni Extremists and Secular/Moderate Syrian government. If you didn't know majority of ISIS were originally apart of Free Syrian Army. The Free Syrian Army is near defunct as a fighting force.

Hopefully the West finally cooperates with Assad to bring stability to the region as a whole. Leaving Assad in power is the only perfect solution. He is not like any psychopathic dictator like Saddam or Gaddafi, unlike them he is intelligent, moderate and especially bold. He is even heavily supported by non-Muslim groups like Maronites and Orthodox Christian in Syria.

Hopefully the Shia and Kurdish militias will get rid of ISIS. The only country in the region in my honest opinion that is seriously trying to get rid of ISIS is Iran.
Brother how can you support Assad... How can people support ISIS...

Because of that, We decreed upon the Children of Israel that whoever kills a soul unless for a soul or for corruption [done] in the land – it is as if he had slain mankind entirely. And whoever saves one – it is as if he had saved mankind entirely. And our messengers had certainly come to them with clear proofs. Then indeed many of them, [even] after that, throughout the land, were transgressors. 5:32

Surely this contradicts both what ISIS and ASSAD are doing and as a muslim you should agree

INADIKAP95

HSC
N/A
If it weren't for the West and the Sunni Persian gulf regimes like Qatar, Saudi Arabia and others heavily and carelessly funding the Syrian government's opposition, we wouldn't have had any entity like ISIS.

Syrian conflict has always been between the Sunni Extremists and Secular/Moderate Syrian government. If you didn't know majority of ISIS were originally apart of Free Syrian Army. The Free Syrian Army is near defunct as a fighting force.

Hopefully the West finally cooperates with Assad to bring stability to the region as a whole. Leaving Assad in power is the only perfect solution. He is not like any psychopathic dictator like Saddam or Gaddafi, unlike them he is intelligent, moderate and especially bold. He is even heavily supported by non-Muslim groups like Maronites and Orthodox Christian in Syria.

Hopefully the Shia and Kurdish militias will get rid of ISIS. The only country in the region in my honest opinion that is seriously trying to get rid of ISIS is Iran.
Excellent. Totally on point. Couldn't have said it better my friend.

Drsoccerball

HSC
Brother I can neither support those "rebels" fighting Assad. Assad is still seen as a viable leader by the majority of Syrians irrespective of their religious ties. He is formally a practicing eye surgeon in London, who is truly humble and moderate leader who doesn't have a sectarian agenda towards his people a moderate and secular leader.

Assad could have avoided all this mess in the first place if he had implemented meaningful reforms at an opportune time. I had praise him if he stepped down and or changed his country regime to a parliamentary electoral "democratic" one. I want to finally see one Arab leader with enough dignity, wisdom and cleverness to do that. No doubt he and his father have committed some atrocities in the past. The fact that stands is that he's fighting for this small fragile country that has been tired and exhausted from these extremist retards.

Just because of his close ties with Russia and Iran and support for Hezbollah and Hamas, he has become scapegoat and vilified by countries like the US, Israel, Saudi Arabia, Qatar and many other countries. He is a man against Western and Zionist aggression.

Those Rebels were extremists from the beginning, where the West and its allies like Saudi Arabia have long funded these groups and now we have ISIS as a result. The ones that support the opposition are ultra-conservative Muslims that want Syria governed by an extremist regime.

Just remember what happened in Afghanistan decades ago, the US and its allies funded extremists groups like the Taliban and Al-Qaeda who were fighting the Soviets, later on those same groups turned into America's enemies and 9/11 happened, they realised their mistake. Same thing happened when the US and its allies supported and funded Saddam in Iraq's unjustified invasion of Iran, later on Iraq turned on America's back and so we had the Gulf War and later 2003 invasion of Iraq. The US and the West is making the same mistake of supporting these fringe extremists groups.

Its better if the world had left Assad in power, instead of doing a mistake by supporting these rebels. Its only the beginning, the US and its allies are air bombing those very same rebels they funded and supported.

If the world really cared about human rights and freedom, they would been long supporting the Bahraini people to overthrow their authoritarian monarchy. Instead business and military ties matter more. Bahraini people were left in the dark.
I didnt say i supported the fighting on either side all im saying is that killing of an innocent human or animal etc... shouldn't be honoured whoever it is.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Well they havent infiltrated into Ruse yet. All good boiz.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
if you dont support assad youre basically a terrorist/terrorist-sympathiser

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
At the moment they are in no way a threat to Australia. The only thing Australia is to effectively prevent people from getting radicalised and preventing them from going to the ISIS occupied territories.

That siege that happened months ago, had nothing to do with terrorism or any sort of extremism. It was just some crazy guy with a mental illness going at it. I hate some people who keep fear mongering of an ISIS sort of infiltration in Australia and in various other Western countries.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
those foiled terrorist attacks in australia were like, totally fake and stuff

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
The United States live broadcasts the invasion of Iraq (which was predicated on a false pretence) to the world with cheers and the affectionate "mission accomplished" slogan which killed countless civilians and no one bats an eyelid...

The United States savagely shoots their most wanted and arbitrarily kills him without a trial and conviction to the cheers and applause of others, no one bats an eyelid and actually celebrate instead...

Terrorists behead a few chaps in Iraq and everyone loses their shit... The pot is kind of calling the kettle black... THAT IS NOT TO SAY I CONDONE WHAT THEY ARE DOING! IT'S DISGUSTING! It does not make you a terrorist sympathiser to criticise US foreign policy... Although some would make you think otherwise... I personally class both ISIS and the US government as human sewage (it is just that the US is arguably the better of two evils) ...

I'm just saying, you can't base everything on the notion of freedom and liberty and then go do the exact opposite... It's obviously bound to piss people off...

Any response which is going to actually not make things worse is probably best coming from a local level... eg: internally using the Iraqi Army, the PKK (which is actually happening), Turkey, Jordan, etc... Any response by the US would just plays into the mantra they are pedalling... The mantra being that US is colonialising the Middle East for their own ends...

If anything, the US is probably doing far too much... It's up to the local players to step up to the plate and assert themselves to stamp out the scourge that is ISIS... However, none seem willing to come to the table and actually do something about it...

Last edited:

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
if you dont support assad youre basically a terrorist/terrorist-sympathiser
Or you're a member of the Russian Government... In that case, you're worse than Hitler... :lol:

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah man we(the west) continue to arm Syrian "Moderate" Rebels, which we all know ends up being ISIS, so of course we are doing enough, just using the excuse of ISIS to try and overthrow another government in the Middle East

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
hurr if a muslim rapes somebody they arent a musim so that doesnt count !!!!!

Stimuli

HSC
N/A
Slightly off topic, but does anyone have a numerical value of ISIS's territory? I've read its larger than the UK (94,000 miles square) but also that its only 13,000-35,000 miles squared?

The ANZAC day terror plot can not be another couple insane people, can it?

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
That siege that happened months ago, had nothing to do with terrorism or any sort of extremism. It was just some crazy guy with a mental illness going at it. I hate how some people keep fear mongering of an ISIS sort of infiltration in Australia and in various other Western countries.
Man Haron Monis had a long history of violent crime, infatuation with extremism and mental instability. He tried to simply cloak his actions with the symbolism of ISIS and Islam.
First you say it had nothing to do with extremism, then you say he had a history of extremism? Ok then.

Also, if he is in fact extremist as you say, then what is he extremist about? You can't just be an extremist, you're some kind of extremist (e.g. Islamic extremist, right-wing extremist, etc).

Stimuli

HSC
N/A
Since we (Western countries) arn't directly under threat from an ISIS invasion, is the main issue we need to address conscription?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)