Penrith Selective High School Hacking (1 Viewer)

astroman

HSC
Penrith High School students disciplined over HSC computer hacking claims

Students at a selective high school in Sydney's west have been disciplined after hacking into a computer system, allegedly in an attempt to change their HSC assessment marks.

Up to 10 Year 12 students at Penrith High School have reportedly been questioned over the security breach, which the NSW Department of Education said occurred when students obtained a teacher's log-in details for the online database that contains student marks.

It was not known whether any HSC assessment marks were actually altered.

A spokesman for the department said the Board of Studies, Teaching and Educational Standards had received an allegation about assessment marks at Penrith High School.

"Penrith High School has taken appropriate disciplinary action against a small number of students who accessed the computer systems using a teacher's log-in," the spokesman said.

"The school is looking into the matter and is working with the [board of studies].

"The students will undertake their HSC examinations at the school."

He said students could face severe penalties for cheating in the HSC.

"They may receive zero marks for a school assessment or zero marks for an exam, and potentially not receive the HSC," he said.

The Penrith Press reported that a person, who wished to remain anonymous, contacted the newspaper to report a number of students were questioned over the incident, which had raised concerns about the storage of critical information in the computer system.

The database contains students' assessment marks, which account for 50 per cent of a student's final HSC result.

Students at Penrith High School recently sat their trial HSC exams, and students across the state will begin their final exams on October 12.

The Department of Education spokesman said Penrith High School had assured education authorities that the correct student marks would be submitted following the breach.

He also said other students should be assured that "stringent assessment and exam rules and procedures are applied ... to ensure the HSC's fairness and integrity".

"If the allegation is substantiated, [the Board of Studies] will act to ensure no student is disadvantaged, and the examination process remains fair," he said.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/penrith-h...-computer-hacking-claims-20150910-gjk1rl.html

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Ye saw this - I dunno if I would do it given the chance - in that the most you're able to usually change is maybe two or three ranks IF you're average or just below average in the cohort and this would happen only with decent sized subjects (not too hard for Penrith I guess if you're doing popular subjects) - otherwise teachers know who the top kids are and easily sus a jump in ranks by some average kid - which I'm guessing these kids were stupid enough to do and that's how they got caught.

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
how did they get a teachers login deets lolol

D94

HSC
N/A
This is old news. Happened last week, media reporting a week later. There are a lot of finer details that the media doesn't know. What you are reading is the rather generic stuff, the crazy stuff is obviously more interesting.

astroman

HSC
This is old news. Happened last week, media reporting a week later. There are a lot of finer details that the media doesn't know. What you are reading is the rather generic stuff, the crazy stuff is obviously more interesting.
If you know more, then please contribute.

BlueLucario

Star-Lord
HSC
I don't know if this is true or not ( heard from a friend of a friend) so take this with a grain of salt, apparently the teacher left their laptop open being logged in, so the students just went and changed their marks, and apparently the students that changed their marks can't do the hsc this year.

HecticSandWitch

2007 fuccboi hustler king
HSC
Lol dropkicks, hope they enjoy another year of high school. The solution to this is not to do shit in your assessments in the first place lol.

RecklessRick

HSC
N/A
Why? It's absolutely none of your concern.
Great point, we shouldn't care about anything that happens to anyone at any other school

Chronost, the kids were not average kids, some were near the top of the cohort.
Sentiment still applies though doesn't it?

si2136

HSC
N/A
And I applied for Penrith High School.

Kolmias

HSC
Have newspapers always been this brutal? O.O
Are you kidding? The Daily Telegraph is owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation: a media behemoth which sells newspapers by publishing libelous, attention-grabbing tabloids.

D94

HSC
N/A
Are you kidding? The Daily Telegraph is owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation: a media behemoth which sells newspapers by publishing libelous, attention-grabbing tabloids.
It's only attention grabbing when people bring up 'news' that lasted for 5 minutes, which occurred a couple of months ago.

I bet most people have forgotten about this, but you've done the job of Rupert Murdoch by reviving this.

Kolmias

HSC
It's only attention grabbing when people bring up 'news' that lasted for 5 minutes, which occurred a couple of months ago.

I bet most people have forgotten about this, but you've done the job of Rupert Murdoch by reviving this.
What if Rupert and I were the same person?

#Conspiracy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)