Generation Y keen to head overseas and escape slowing Australian economy (1 Viewer)

astroman

HSC
Generation Y is saying "catchya 'straya" as they head overseas to escape our country's slowing economy and rise in unemployment, a new report shows.

Recruitment firm Robert Walters has found almost nine in 10 Millennials working in Australia and New Zealand want to head overseas to work.

Despite this, of over 400 employers surveyed, three in four said they did not offer these opportunities.

Robert Walters ANZ managing director James Nicholson said speculation of economic downturn and rising unemployment was motivating Gen Y to go international with their job prospects.

"Millennials, or Gen Y, have grown up in a borderless world with greater access to international travel, so their sights are set high to begin with," Mr Nicholson said.

"With a lot of discussion around economic downturn locally, we are seeing a reverse trend from the post-GFC period when we were dealing with an influx of foreign workers looking for gainful employment."

He said it was alarming organisations were not offering overseas opportunities which Gen Yers viewed as critical to career growth.

Career expectations causing conflict

The whitepaper also found that just over half of Millennials have experienced or witnessed inter-generational conflict at work.

Eight out of 10 employers believe the biggest source of conflict stems from younger generations' expectations of rapid career progression.

All three employee generations surveyed - Millennials, Gen X and Baby Boomers - agreed the main source of inter-generational conflict was "difference in expectations of organisational values".

One in four Millennials said conflict also arose from older generations' reluctance to use new technologies.

Despite this, the survey found Gen Y was less attached to technology than employers might expect.

While 87 per cent of employers thought Millennials would leave an organisation if it did not invest in emerging technologies, just over half of Millennials said they would consider leaving their job for this reason.

Other findings showed a third of Gen Yers work because they want to earn money to support their lifestyle, while another third said it was to fulfil their potential.

Salary and benefits meeting expectations was the most important factor when choosing a job, closely followed by career progression opportunities.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-27/gen-y-want-to-take-their-work-elsewhere/6808476

Flop21

HSC
I've heard people travel overseas to escape their HECs debt as well, and never end up having to pay it.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd like to move overseas to the UK sometime after university.

Chris_S

HSC
Rio De Janeiro is my dream destination!

astroman

HSC
I really don't like England for some reason...

Would love to be able to work in the US as a part of my job. But honestly I love Australia and would always want to have it as my home.
economy is shit and foreign investors are taking jobs and driving property prices through the roof, also property in US is cheaper I believe.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
move to London and work for f1 ;D
Would be maaaaaad!!!!!

I like how everyone thinks the Australian economy has gone down the shitter and they think they can have better luck overseas... :lol:

where are you going to go? Europe, where they overall average unemployment rate is at around 10%... US, same shit, different story, etc...

It's not because of job prospects, it's because Australia is, in some manner of speaking, a shit hole... :lol:

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Would be maaaaaad!!!!!

I like how everyone thinks the Australian economy has gone down the shitter and they think they can have better luck overseas... :lol:

where are you going to go? Europe, where they overall average unemployment rate is at around 10%... US, same shit, different story, etc...

It's not because of job prospects, it's because Australia is, in some manner of speaking, a shit hole... :lol:
top kek when people bitch about sydney housing and rent and they want to move to london or new york. or bitch about work hours and want to work in asia xD.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
most of Western USA is like that, most opportunities are in the east, Washington DC, New york for example
gl getting a job in DC without being a citizen. most of it is political work like canberra.

Flop21

HSC
What's with science in Australia? Is there a fair amount of biotech startups here, comparable to the US? Or no way?

astroman

HSC
What's with science in Australia? Is there a fair amount of biotech startups here, comparable to the US? Or no way?
highly doubt it, that's why B.Science in Australian uni's has a low ATAR, UTS is 74 and UNSW is about 80, same for USYD.

Flop21

HSC
gl getting a working visa as well. companies have to justify hiring a foreigner v local.
Solution > work for a company that is global and gives you the opportunity to work in their offices overseas.

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
I wanna work in the financial services in the middle east..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)