End looms for $150 million Opal card loophole used by Sydney commuters Read more: ht (1 Viewer)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: End looms for $150 million Opal card loophole used by Sydney commuters Read more

There goes my travelling on Sunday to usually more expensive places

FlyingKanga

The optimistic pessimist.
HSC
Re: End looms for $150 million Opal card loophole used by Sydney commuters Read more

isn't opal becoming wayy more expensive than the old paper tickets? I guess I might have to drive to uni after all. :l

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC

Do other cities that have similar systems (London, New York, etc) have these kinds of problems too? Or is it just because it's a very new thing for Sydney...

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A

Do other cities that have similar systems (London, New York, etc) have these kinds of problems too? Or is it just because it's a very new thing for Sydney...
I'm pretty sure in both places travel fares are much cheaper. And in NY I believe taxis are cheap too so people use them.

enoilgam

HSC

Absolutely outrageous - the Opal card has been a fantastic development from the State Government but we are already paying enough. The Sydney Trains service is overall quite mediocre - I mean, a little bit of rain pretty much guarantees some form of delay on the network. I work FT and pay around $30 a week in travel and to me, I think that's only just worth it for the service. With no competitors, Sydney Trains are already grossly inefficient and adding more money to their pockets isn't something Im keen on doing.

I will be happy to pay more if Sydney Trains introduce a rule that offers a refund if your train is more than 5 minutes late (I have a feeling this rule will cause a big shift in reliability).

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
End looms for $150 million Opal card loophole used by Sydney commuters Read ...

I'm pretty sure in both places travel fares are much cheaper. And in NY I believe taxis are cheap too so people use them.
London is just as expensive if not more expensive than Sydney. However, they have a massive underground rail system which makes travel within the city very convenient (whereas we only have 6 train stations within the city).

Their travel card (the Oyster card) does not have the same extent of discounts or frequent traveller benefits that Opal currently has though, as far as I am aware.

Last edited:

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad

Sydney has one of the more cheaper transport systems in the world when compared against our pay rates.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A

saves me 1 dollar pls

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC

saves me 1 dollar pls
but do you do that opal run thing that SD is always on about

or just jump it like ur bf does apparently

or are you a true Queen and be like:

Last edited:

sinophile

HSC
N/A

state govt has to literally destroy every nice thing we have #boycottshittyrail

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A

but do you do that opal run cheating shit that SD is always on about

or just jump it like ur bf does apparently

or are you a true Queen and be like:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f9/3a/3a/f93a3a3f44852ccbdf7f813738c0898e.jpg[//IMG][/QUOTE]We don't jump the gates that's for dumb people

we have an elabourate scheme/scam/loophole that pretty much costs the same amount that SD spends (without the physical labour)

anyway, seems like the govt patched up every loophole there is so even SD's legal scheme won't work

rip savings

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC

We don't jump the gates that's for dumb people

we have an elabourate scheme/scam/loophole that pretty much costs the same amount that SD spends (without the physical labour)

anyway, seems like the govt patched up every loophole there is so even SD's legal scheme won't work

rip savings
When I say jump I don't mean literally jump the gates lol I just meant getting on the train without tapping on/off

But aww rip your savings :(

Glad I don't really public transport too often

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A

When I say jump I don't mean literally jump the gates lol I just meant getting on the train without tapping on/off

But aww rip your savings :(

Glad I don't really public transport too often
i don't use opal cards llol

well rip your savings too unless you gon drive to uni

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC

i don't use opal cards llol

well rip your savings too unless you gon drive to uni
But aren't paper tickets being eradicated as of next week? Unless you don't use those either lol

And nah driving to wsu but still rip my savings bc petrol

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

The only good thing to come out of this was the whole "we'll measure your fare by the distance you travel" thing, even though this means we can no longer Opal run in the usual way by overloading the card to rack up free journeys

Unfortunately while that's good for lots of people, it still means I have to pay like $22 a week, over double what I pay now <_<

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A

But aren't paper tickets being eradicated as of next week? Unless you don't use those either lol

And nah driving to wsu but still rip my savings bc petrol
yes they are so rip scam

The only good thing to come out of this was the whole "we'll measure your fare by the distance you travel" thing, even though this means we can no longer Opal run in the usual way by overloading the card to rack up free journeys

Unfortunately while that's good for lots of people, it still means I have to pay like $22 a week, over double what I pay now <_<
have to pay $30

kinda unfair how it's by distance tbh

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)