Safe Schools Coalition: sexual politics in the classroom (1 Viewer)

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
The All of Us teaching manual has been ordered by 350 schools.

A taxpayer-funded sexuality program that instructs 11-year-olds to role-play gay teenagers has been accused of crossing the line between education and advocacy in the classroom.

The controversial Safe Schools Coalition program, which teaches high school students in years 7 and 8 about sexual diversity and inclusion, is pitting religious groups against gay rights advocates.

Ostensibly an anti-bullying program, it takes a politically correct approach to sex education. Teachers are told it is “heterosexist’’ to refer to students as “girls and boys”. Prepubescent children are taught the meaning of terms such as “queer’’, “pansexual’’, “sister girl’’ and “trans guy’’.

Nearly 500 of Australia’s schools are using the program and Victoria has ordered all government schools to sign on by 2019.

The program’s teaching guide, All of Us, includes a role-playing lesson plan in which kids as young as 11 are told to imagine they are 16 and going out with “someone they are really into’’.

"http://www.safeschoolscoalition.org.au/app/theme/default/design/assets/all-of-us/documents/unit-guide.pdf" = the booklet.

What do people think about this?

Kolmias

HSC
The All of Us teaching manual has been ordered by 350 schools.

A taxpayer-funded sexuality program that instructs 11-year-olds to role-play gay teenagers has been accused of crossing the line between education and advocacy in the classroom.

The controversial Safe Schools Coalition program, which teaches high school students in years 7 and 8 about sexual diversity and inclusion, is pitting religious groups against gay rights advocates.

Ostensibly an anti-bullying program, it takes a politically correct approach to sex education. Teachers are told it is “heterosexist’’ to refer to students as “girls and boys”. Prepubescent children are taught the meaning of terms such as “queer’’, “pansexual’’, “sister girl’’ and “trans guy’’.

Nearly 500 of Australia’s schools are using the program and Victoria has ordered all government schools to sign on by 2019.

The program’s teaching guide, All of Us, includes a role-playing lesson plan in which kids as young as 11 are told to imagine they are 16 and going out with “someone they are really into’’.

"http://www.safeschoolscoalition.org.au/app/theme/default/design/assets/all-of-us/documents/unit-guide.pdf" = the booklet.

What do people think about this?
Excellent idea but I believe it is going a little too far.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Don't really care

But the girls and boys thing is kinda weird, if the child doesn't want to be called that, then they should let the teacher know, otherwise I don't see a problem.

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
Maybe the role-playing aspect is a bit excessive but that aside

I don't get why people say that teaching kids this stuff crosses the line into advocacy... Like remember that video a few months ago about marriage equality or something that was shown in the primary school of which the creators attended, then a bunch of parents and the media were like "hey no this is political they are trying to sway my kid's political views no that's my job blah blah" like no. How the hell is teaching kids that homophobia is wrong a "political agenda"?

When I was young and my teachers told me that saying the N-word and being racist is bad, that was acceptable wasn't it?

The only people who have problems with teaching (in a reasonable manner) kids from a young age that discrimination is bad are bigots IMO.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Excellent idea but I believe it is going a little too far.
Agreed.

Maybe the role-playing aspect is a bit excessive but that aside

I don't get why people say that teaching kids this stuff crosses the line into advocacy... Like remember that video a few months ago about marriage equality or something that was shown in the primary school of which the creators attended, then a bunch of parents and the media were like "hey no this is political they are trying to sway my kid's political views no that's my job blah blah" like no. How the hell is teaching kids that homophobia is wrong a "political agenda"?

When I was young and my teachers told me that saying the N-word and being racist is bad, that was acceptable wasn't it?

The only people who have problems with teaching (in a reasonable manner) kids from a young age that discrimination is bad are bigots IMO.
The role playing bit may influence people into thinking people into something that they're not.

It's like people googling diseases and symptoms online may subconsciously think that they have it.

That's how I think it's a bit on the advocacy side.

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
Agreed.

The role playing bit may influence people into thinking people into something that they're not.

It's like people googling diseases and symptoms online may subconsciously think that they have it.

That's how I think it's a bit on the advocacy side.
Yeah I agree with this point which I addressed in the first line of my post hehe

Kolmias

HSC
The resident fascist of the Liberal Party, Corey Bernardi has come out in opposition to this initiative (what a surprise) and he says that the program "indoctrinates kids with Marxist cultural relativism".

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
The resident fascist of the Liberal Party, Corey Bernardi has come out in opposition to this initiative (what a surprise) and he says that the program "indoctrinates kids with Marxist cultural relativism".
Sometimes I look at the people in power and I want to kms

durrrrr

Banned
HSC
if bernadi is a "fascist" then most muslims around the world are "fascists"

Loudvicuna

HSC
Nothing wrong with choosing to be a homosexual or a trans + all the other new age sexuality trends (everyone has a right to do what they want in life even if its for attention) but to make kids role play as mentally ill people to please the PC leftist crowd is sad

Kolmias

HSC
Nothing wrong with choosing to be a homosexual or a trans + all the other new age sexuality trends (everyone has a right to do what they want in life even if its for attention) but to make kids role play as mentally ill people to please the PC leftist crowd is sad
There is nothing new about homosexuality or being a trans. lol

"PC leftist crowd is sad"
You wouldn't know a leftist if they shoved the Communist Manifesto up your arse.

Loudvicuna

HSC
There is nothing new about homosexuality or being a trans. lol

"PC leftist crowd is sad"
You wouldn't know a leftist if they shoved the Communist Manifesto up your arse.
i said all the other new age sexuality trends and said that making kids role play mentally ill people to please PC leftists is sad. Go suckle on your mothers teets, child.

Last edited:

Kolmias

HSC
i said all the other new age sexuality trends and said that making kids role play mentally ill people to please PC leftists is sad. Go suckle on your mothers teets, child.
We have a three year age gap. I wouldn't be calling anyone who is three years younger then me 'child'. lol

And apparently, trans people are "mentally ill now"? Oh? Please direct me to the website of Fascist Fortnightly where you obviously pull this crap out of.

If you can not tolerate another human being for something they cannot changed (last time I checked, being LGBT is something you are born with and is not a 'lifestyle' choice), you are a bigot, plain and simple.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
We have a three year age gap. I wouldn't be calling anyone who is three years younger then me 'child'. lol

And apparently, trans people are "mentally ill now"? Oh? Please direct me to the website of Fascist Fortnightly where you obviously pull this crap out of.
Cannot comment on the first bit, although if people act like children, they get it. That said, haven't read the reply that you are replying to.

Concerning your second one, considering its proper name: gender identity disorder:
"Gender dysphoria or gender identity disorder (GID) is the formal diagnosis used by psychologists and physicians to describe people who experience significant dysphoria (distress) with the sex and gender they were assigned at birth."

That said, it is kind of irrelevant, whether it is mental illness or not, because you still treat people with mental disorder or not, the same anyways, i.e. with respect (does not equal agreement)

If you can not tolerate another human being for something they cannot changed (last time I checked, being LGBT is something you are born with and is not a 'lifestyle' choice), you are a bigot, plain and simple.

Last time I checked, being LGB is something more likely discovered rather than born, and it is certainly not fixed/unchangeable*. That said, yes it isn't a choice either. (Maybe different for transgenderism). (*Bisexuality for instance is fairly fluid)

"In interviews to the press, researchers have pointed that the evidence of genetic influences should not be equated with genetic determinism. According to Dean Hamer and Michael Bailey, genetic aspects are only one of the multiple causes of homosexuality"

For me, the studies range in the results, depending on what data you use and how selective you use it.
Bailey for instance ran two studies, one was 1991 which had a favourable result (data was taken from Chicago), one was 1999-2000 (used the Australian twin registrar, one of the most accurate in the world), the result was less favourable. The latter can be read here http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10743878

"Bailey is well known for research involving biology and sexual orientation. In the early 1990s Bailey and Richard Pillard coauthored a series of twin studies which examined the rate of concordance of sexual identity among monozygotic twins (52% concordance), dizygotic twins of the same sex (22%), non-twin siblings of the same sex, and adoptive siblings of the same sex (11%). More recent research by Bailey et al. [1999-2000 study this is referring to] on twins however found much lower concordance rates for monozygotic twins regarding homosexual orientation of only 20% for men and 24% for women pointing to a significant contribution of environmental factors in sexual orientation; Bailey suggests an explanation for the much lower concordance rate among monozygotic twins in this study as opposed to previous studies: In those previous studies, twins deciding whether to participate in a study clearly related to homosexuality probably considered the sexual orientation of their co-twins before agreeing to participate"

My conclusion, the science is sketchy at time in its neutrality; and when it isn't, its inconclusive.

And yes excuse the copy/paste.

Political correctness needs to go sometimes out of the window. This program has its issues, that it needs to fix seriously if it is going to remain in schools. Just because someone disagrees (and I have made this point several times), does not equal bigot. Yes there are bigots, homophobes and the whole circus if you like. But it doesn't necessary mean that everyone who disagrees with transsexuality or homosexuality is one. Period.

Here is the Herald Sun on the article:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...t/news-story/5c8951d312f18e8860ef77b094364c90

The Victoria Premier (Daniel Andrews) said in this article "Schools can voluntarily choose to take part in the program and receive free teacher training, resources and support to help address homophobia in schools." - Actually he also wishes to make it compulsory in Victoria by 2019 for all government schools.

While addressing bullying is a good thing, especially in this hot topic, you don't have to I guess, put students in their shoes, with role-plays. Educate respect of those who are different, or whom you may disagree with etc. you don't have to teach them the ins and outs of the LGBT movement and its values. But the school needs to be sensitive with these issues, and clearly SSC in its currently form isn't.

Last edited:

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
Not necessarily wrong...

It seems our education system has drifted away from the notions of free thinking and more to the notions of indoctrination... This is not designed to educate people about the values of a sexual relationship or respect, it is designed to indoctrinate tolerance with complete disregard to freedom of thought and expression that is contra to the narrative... People have a right to their own free opinion (particularly when being educated)... This style of teaching discards that code... This quite obviously sets a very, very dangerous precedent which in itself is just as regressive as Fascism...

Would not really classify those comments as Fascist, I would call them more Conservative... Learn what Fascism actually is before throwing out that label...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)