Women-only ‘pink carriages’ - Aussie trains (1 Viewer)

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/womenonly-pink-carriages-idea-for-aussie

A CALL for women-only “pink carriages” has caused uproar as passengers and train operators weigh into the debate.

Rail, Tram and Bus Union national secretary Bob Nanva says public transport needs to be safer at night and is proposing a trial of all-female carriages, seen elsewhere in the world.

He is proposing a trial of Safe Carriages in NSW, with carriages installed with extra distress buttons, on-board CCTV and more regular checks by staff.

“Since September 2012, there have been 2859 criminal offences against women on public transport, including almost 19 sexual offences against women on NSW bus, tram and train networks every month,” he told news.com.au.

“A survey of NSW commuters a few years ago found that 64 per cent of women felt unsafe on public transport after dark. But this is not just a NSW problem — commuters across the country have told us that something must be done.

Thoughts?

Flop21

HSC
Not needed. Just make sure there's a carriage with security in it at all times at night or any other time.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
Increase security. This solution proposed just adds to the problem, and does not fix anything.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Not needed. Just make sure there's a carriage with security in it at all times at night or any other time.
Increase security. This solution proposed just adds to the problem, and does not fix anything.
Agreed. It's not feasible and it's just a band aid fix.

What if people end up waiting outside just to do sex crimes? (then make the whole station female only?)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Doubt it would stop men entering the "female" only carriages but like people mention above, more security at night would be better.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
have you seen the security on night riders lol

i was on one and a fight broke out and i had to intervene and the security guard was on his phone the whole time

having police walk throughs more often would be a better idea

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Doubt it would stop men entering the "female" only carriages but like people mention above, more security at night would be better.
This

and also this is saying like men aren't the victims of crimes either
It's unsafe for everyone who is alone, not just women.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Also there are heaps of fucked up women who are the perpetrators of late night crime too

pls why can't this shitty transport dept ever come up with plausible solution

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
How could anyone, with even an ounce of intelligence, possibly think this is at all a good idea?

When the problem emanates from society itself, you find the problem and fix it, not lock it away in the broom closet and hope it disappears.

Flop21

HSC
I didn't say that, I'm saying that expecting it to be 100% safe at night is ridiculous.
No place is 100% safe and we all know that, hence why no one said it's 100% safe...

Doesn't mean we shouldn't try our best to make it as safe as we reasonably can.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
It's partly their fault.

Then that's my problem, not yours.

If it does, then that's my problem. I'm not going to blame anyone else for it.
Why can't you accept that there do exist people in this world who would care about you if you tried to reach out for once?

Everything in the world is a spectrum, human compassion is no different.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)