Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: "Bamboo Ceiling": Where are all the asians?

HSC

Re: "Bamboo Ceiling": Where are all the asians?

Quote Originally Posted by Soulful View Post
    Ahhh victim complex at its finest. How DARE those pesky Asians disagree with my VALID and REASONED contributions to this discussion!

lmao you're in luck
    hey good job that bit was pree impressive
    Veni, Vidi, Vici

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Zen2613 View Post
    I got a 97 atar, I work a McJob and I completely disagree with you. HSC marks don't mean a single thing in the real world because there are way to many Uni grads who can shit on hsc grads in terms of 'skills'. Also the atar only measures how good you were. If you did physics, chem, mx2 and eng adv, none of those subjects are useful in the real world unless you go to uni. If you did society and culture, english extension 2, visual arts and music, in those fields marks don't matter, it's all about social skills. Try asking any hsc grads if the 'skills' they learnt were not solely for the purpose of getting into uni (or maybe also for self interests) and were useless jobwise.
    That misses the entire point of my post. My argument is that the system should be designed in such a way that HS and University carry more weight, so that it provides a much higher reward and incentive for those that do well.
    Moderator: Modern History, Legal Studies, Studies of Religion (SOR), Commerce/Business and The University of Notre Dame Australia

Essay Guides:
    - Modern History
    - Legal Studies
    -
    Ex-HSC Student (2010) ****
    Advanced English l Maths 2U l Economics l Legal Studies l Modern History l Studies of Religion I

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by enoilgam View Post
    That misses the entire point of my post. My argument is that the system should be designed in such a way that HS and University carry more weight, so that it provides a much higher reward and incentive for those that do well.
    but why should our existence be based on how well we regurgitate information?

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by BandSixFix View Post
    but why should our existence be based on how well we regurgitate information?
    Again that's missing the point, Im not debating the merits of the HSC or Uni as indicators for success, Im saying that performance in education should have more of an impact on your trajectory in the professional space. As someone who works in HR, I know that the HSC/Uni arent good indicators of workplace skill, I would argue that the system needs to change so that they are better indicators.
    Moderator: Modern History, Legal Studies, Studies of Religion (SOR), Commerce/Business and The University of Notre Dame Australia

Essay Guides:
    - Modern History
    - Legal Studies
    -
    Ex-HSC Student (2010) ****
    Advanced English l Maths 2U l Economics l Legal Studies l Modern History l Studies of Religion I

HSC

No, that's really dumb. Your trajectory in a professional space should be based on your productivity and the economic value you bring to your employer, which is largely how things work now. And it makes sense, because you're providing value to the company and the economy as a whole and get rewarded for it accordingly. Acing exams bakes no bread and its value is only in making people learn things and giving the world an indication of your intelligence. It's a means to an end, and the end is economic productivity.

If there isn't a clear correlation between academic performance and professional aptitude, then why does it matter if people do better in university or not?

People who do really badly at school and in their careers aren't doing so because of a lack of incentives. They're either dumb, lazy and/or uninterested in success (ignoring cases of genuinely challenging childhood circumstances). Your proposed changes won't make a difference to them.

HSC

the difference exists because of the enormous size difference between australia and america

america has around 15 times as many people than australia

Australia has 43 universities, america has over 2000

there's simply no way that australia's "system" could exist in america

a top company would be considering applications from potentially tens of thousands of people for a single position

If australia had that many people and that many universities, then your university would matter enormously

and the value of a university has very little to do with the actual teaching quality. Harvard students are valued because first of all they usually have fantastic extra curricular and internship experience available to them, and secondly harvard has very strict admissions policy and so companies know that anyone going to harvard (or any ivy league) is going to be very smart and capable to begin with so its a very good way to filter out candidates for a job. The average intellectual/whatever standard of somebody who made it into harvard to begin with is going to be so much higher than XYZ state university that for the most sought after companies, it's not even worth considering applications for other universities

If australia's population were to expand massively over the next century such that there were many multiples of the number of university age students compared to today, then the admissions policies at sydney and melbourne would (assuming they dont massively expand their intakes, which would be unlikely) become extremely strict and the value of an education at these institutions would increase hugely because there would be so many more people applying for jobs and all the new universities opening up to accomodate population increases would be much worse than syd and melb
    Kolmias likes this.

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by SylviaB View Post
    It has nothing to do with a "fair go". Academic marks alone are not a reliable indicator of future performance and employers know this. They seek people with strong communication skills, leadership potential and the right culture/personality.
    Implying that "strong communication skills, leadership potential and...personality" is somehow determined by your race.

lel discrimination at its finest right there
    Sien likes this.
    When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. It's just difficult for others.
    It's the same when ur stupid

HSC

are you stupid or something? My point was OBVIOUSLY that academic marks alone are a poor indicator of workplace performance and there isn't a perfect correlation between ATAR scores and desirable qualities and therefore we shouldn't expect top ATAR performers to necessarily excel in e.g. the business world

but anyway yes of course there is a correlation between race and personality, how is that even a remotely controversial concept?

let's say though that we are living in your fantasy land where all personal traits are distributed perfectly evenly between all racial groups: why would you expect overrepresentation of asians in certain roles? After all, their personal traits are on average no different to any other group, right?

HSC

Employment and advancement in the fields they especially are talking about has a lot to do with social skills, charisma and drive.

HSC
    Uni Grad

I think what's a more interesting perspective on this topic is the diversity/composition at different levels within organisations.

2000-05 BHHS UAI: 97 Ext 1 Mathematics, Adv English, Economics, Business Studies, IPT (SR)
    2006-09 UNSW B Commerce Accounting, Finance
    2010-11 Institute of Chartered Accountants GradDipCA TAX110, MAA210, AAA310 (M), FIN111, EBA211 (M)

Back in the day I would have asked you to please give me rep by clicking .

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Occupied View Post
    Implying that "strong communication skills, leadership potential and...personality" is somehow determined by your race.

" discrimination at its finest"

It's either true or its untrue. What the fuck does discrimination have to do with anything?

Is it "discrimination" to point out that asians can't run as fast as whites?

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Soulful View Post
    Ahhh victim complex at its finest. How DARE those pesky Asians disagree with my VALID and REASONED contributions to this discussion!
    man what a faggid

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by Flop21 View Post
    A lot of people in those positions are quite old. Were there really as many asians in the school system 30 years ago?

I think we will start to see them popping up in the near future.

(maybe?)
    exactly

An associate professor at my uni went to James Ruse and topped maths there
    But like
    She's white
    Because there were less Asians in general back then

The Asians are coming though
    Pauline Hanson was right ~~~

HSC

becoming maths professor requires different personal traits to becoming a manager in large business

I mean, do you really think that some 99.95 james ruse basement asians like these guys:

are going to make better leaders than some white dudes who got 93 but were captain of their rowing team and played rugby?

I don't think so.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Occupied View Post

No.

These can largely be influenced by culture - no one mentioned race, you're paranoid.

The Asian culture is very different to Western culture. I have one Asian parent and one Western parent - their cultures could not be further from the same. In saying this though, it's not a blanket case for all Asians - the world is more globalized and cultural barriers are now less dissimilar, the trend will only continue.

1000 years from now, we will all be 8 feet tall, olive skinned, speak one language - which will be variation of all dialects and no more war. Also Trump will be immortalized as the President of the Universe.

Tl;Dr: Calm your tits, there is no "Bamboo ceiling" - you're just lazy.
    Last edited by chiefpasco; 7 Nov 2016 at 10:07 PM.

HSC
    Uni Grad

becoming maths professor requires different personal traits to becoming a manager in large business

I mean, do you really think that some 99.95 james ruse basement asians like these guys:

[video=youtube;jVu3xb8IQew]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVu3xb8IQew[//video]

are going to make better leaders than some white dudes who got 93 but were captain of their rowing team and played rugby?

I don't think so.
    why do you watch high school boys and girls?
    Free MX1 Notes: http://tinyurl.com/freeMX1notes
    TAFE Diploma of Technical Engineering @Ultimo Campus

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Squar3root View Post
    m8888888888888

HSC

you know the answer to that.
    If I am a conic section, then my e = ∞

Just so we don't have this discussion in the future, my definition of the natural numbers includes 0.

HSC

Pedo alert :O

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Sien View Post
    Pedo alert :O

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
    you jerk off to anime kiddies and call me a pedo

gtfo

HSC

I don't think so.
    lmao sylviaB why are you obsessed with me

~ First in Drama 2015 ~

HSC

because you epitomize the low-test cry-baby asians that inhabit these boards

HSC
    N/A

because you epitomize the low-test cry-baby asians that inhabit these boards
    He's a fucking disgrace to his own race.

Less 99.95 ATARs and more rap stars pls

This motherfucker taught himself English from rap and youtube and he only 17.

This kid has bigger fucking balls than these cuck asian nerds.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information