Poll: Is there hope without a god?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Is there hope without a God?

HSC

Re: Is there hope without a God?

Quote Originally Posted by Simorgh View Post
    I know all this! But was I talking about Protestantism which is definitely reformed and branched out of Catholicism so not relevant? When talking purely about Catholicism its hasn't been reformed to that extent.

The rest is me not agreeing with Orwell, for instance his perceived hypocrisy and internalised racism.

HSC

Thanks for all your replies its really interesting hearing peoples perspectives on hope and religion how they interconect.

Quote Originally Posted by Comensite View Post
    dw ignore the cuck, he just tries to make his version of "Islam" better when its all the same shit
    Quote Originally Posted by Simorgh View Post
    I don't speak for Islam or Muslims. Neither do I wish to.

Yes its all the same 'shit'.
    Can we please try to be respectful to other religions even if you dont believe in them or agree with the person who is saying things about them !!!
    Thank you

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by wannaspoon View Post
    There is no hope, with or without "God"
    Are you then saying that there is no hope at all?
    Without hope what is it that drives you? how are you able to look to the future and say hey its gonna be ok? Is it possible to live with no hope. Is it not true that Humanity needs hope because as soon as there is no hope there is no will to live?

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by dan964 View Post
    there is a thread for that, note
    Does God exist?
    Hey there! yeah I had seen that thread and I was quite intrigued but some of the discussion got a bit out of hand. And this thread is different as it refers to more specifically the link between religion and hope not just the existance of god which undoubtedly would appear here as it has to do with religion. Maybe I havent phrased myself properly but I appreciate your help with finding the link! It was very thoughtful of you. <3

HSC

Also I would love to hear the opinions of an atheist or angnostic(ist) [IDK is that how you say it ...]
    Where is your hope found? Is there hope?

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeTasselBluebird View Post
    Also I would love to hear the opinions of an atheist or angnostic(ist) [IDK is that how you say it ...]
    Where is your hope found? Is there hope?
    The only hope lies in the constant struggle between the selfish "rational" side of humanity and the "irrational" piece of decency that is inside of every one of us.

I hope the latter wins. Forever.
    If I am a conic section, then my e = ∞

Just so we don't have this discussion in the future, my definition of the natural numbers includes 0.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Paradoxica View Post
    The only hope lies in the constant struggle between the selfish "rational" side of humanity and the "irrational" piece of decency that is inside of every one of us.

I hope the latter wins. Forever.
    Thats an interesting perspective! Does this provide a hope for the future of yourself or for humanity or does it create only little hope for you?

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeTasselBluebird View Post
    Thats an interesting perspective! Does this provide a hope for the future of yourself or for humanity or does it create only little hope for you?
    It gets me through the daily struggle of my mundane existence but sometimes it does not suffice.

Just so we don't have this discussion in the future, my definition of the natural numbers includes 0.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by i1337 View Post
    Hope is not the right word. I'm not sure hope means what you think it means. Hope for what?
    This depends on how you define "hope",
    hope is something that drives you and gives you confidence for the future because you know that what you are hoping in will prevail, hope is to trust that good will happen and be certain that what you hope will prove true and have a confident expectation of something. (Obviously there are other versions of hope most people today see hope as a wishy washy maybe or a kind of unsure optimism to wish for, to expect, but without certainty of the fulfillment; to desire very much, but with no real assurance of getting your desire... i.e. I hope that I locked the door or I hope that the food tastes good tonight. etc. this is just as the word peer means both people of your own age / status and to look / squint at something, and the word pole means a cylindrical stick and is also used to denote input and output points of a magnet or electrical device. These type of words are known as Homonyms)
    I want to see what your views on this are, does hope have to rest in god/s? For the religious maybe so, for the not so religious probably not. For Christians, hope lies in the knowledge that the messiah will return to claim them as his own and finish the process of salvation and the restoration of the world, For Jews, hope lies in the knowledge that the messiah is to come and fulfil the prophesies written in the tanakh in the future.
    Where does your hope lie? What is your hope for?
    Is your hope an internal thing that is for you as a person only or is it for the future of humanity or for society or... (you finish the sentence )

~~~~
    HSC
    Uni Grad

That's not what hope means. Hope is the feeling or desire for a particular thing to happen, taken straight from the OED (Oxford English Dictionary).

What **are** you hoping to prevail?

"hope is to trust that good will happen" Hope is not to trust that good will happen. Hope is not an entity that you can trust. Hope just refers to a desire that a particular specific thing will happen. You can hope that some specific *thing* will happen, which may be objectively just.

"and be certain that what you hope will prove true and have a condfident expectation of something"

You can hope that your beliefs are true, but hope is not the desire for a belief to be true. Hope is not limited to beliefs, infact I argue it rarely is so.

It seems to be you are talking about faith, not hope. You can hope that your faith is true, but you cannot have faith that your hopes are true. These are two different scenarios.

I hope this post makes sense.
    Typically what you find with hope, is that isn't just particular things to happen, it is the desire for a particular best outcome, such as the world becoming better or utopia for an example (or equality).

Faith and hope are interlinked, but certainly not interchangeable.
    Faith is more likened to trust.
    Hope is more so anticipation of a future positive event.

Faith leads to one having hope in something: because I trust my friend, I hope that he will do this.
    ; and certain hope leads to faith.

There is somewhat a requirement of evidence, knowing and experience (in the case of the religious, it is their religious text), in order to trust that the hope is certain (rather than being true).

For instance, I'll use the perspective I am familiar with.
    Christians have hope because of the resurrection; that is certainty of the future of things for the best (new life) and that, which drives perseverance in faith.
    But perseverance in faith, also produces hope as well. As we continue to trust, one either loses out, or continues (persevering), see the effects of that trust resulting in the change, leading to the very thing hoped for.

Just an example.
    2014 HSC - E4 in MX1 (90) / 2015 Gap Year (Youthworks) / 2016-2017 UOW - B. Maths Adv. (done math110, 201, 202, 203, 204)

Links:
    View English Notes (no download)

Oo, a moderator...

HSC

That's not what hope means. Hope is the feeling or desire for a particular thing to happen, taken straight from the OED (Oxford English Dictionary).

What **are** you hoping to prevail?

"hope is to trust that good will happen" Hope is not to trust that good will happen. Hope is not an entity that you can trust. Hope just refers to a desire that a particular specific thing will happen. You can hope that some specific *thing* will happen, which may be objectively just.

"and be certain that what you hope will prove true and have a condfident expectation of something"

You can hope that your beliefs are true, but hope is not the desire for a belief to be true. Hope is not limited to beliefs, infact I argue it rarely is so.

It seems to be you are talking about faith, not hope. You can hope that your faith is true, but you cannot have faith that your hopes are true. These are two different scenarios.

I hope this post makes sense.
    Hi Im sorry if Ive confused you, as I said earlier hope can have different meanings not just the wishful thinking one you are saying that it means. If it helps you can answer using the word "faith" but that isn't really what I mean.
    Hope is hard to describe I did my best before but maybe I wasn't clear enough. dan964 seems to have a closer understanding of the hope I was talking of.
    i1337 likes this.

Exalted Member
    HSC
    N/A

It's funny how christians are so willing to redefine standard English words. I'm surprised they haven't tried to capitalise the word.

HSC

God is dead and we have killed him.
    HSC 2017: English Advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Economics, Legal Studies, Business Studies, SOR 1

Exalted Member
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Orwell View Post
    Time for celebration.

~~~~
    HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by braintic View Post
    Time for celebration.
    nah you guys have only replaced him; mind you humans make a very poor substitute of keeping the universe, let alone the Earth, in balance !!!!
    2014 HSC - E4 in MX1 (90) / 2015 Gap Year (Youthworks) / 2016-2017 UOW - B. Maths Adv. (done math110, 201, 202, 203, 204)

Links:

Oo, a moderator...

~~~~
    HSC
    Uni Grad

It's funny how christians are so willing to redefine standard English words. I'm surprised they haven't tried to capitalise the Word.
    ah, no but your other arguments tend to be more convincing though.

Faith comes from the latin fide, or the Greek pistis, same word the often "believe" is used (because unlike in Greek, faith doesn't have a verb). The Greek verb based on pistis (which is pisteuo) is actually closer but not quite to the word "trust" hence the difficulty. It is we modernists who reinterpret words such as faith, to mean superstitution. The word confidence literally means "with faith" or at least its route meaning. And this term, for Christians is often linked in with evidence and such. So I don't see any problem with the definition used by myself and other fellow Christians, we are only trying to be consistent linguists. Also we are also addressed a false strawman commonly perpetrated by those of non-theistic beliefs....

here are the modern definitions of faith
    noun
    confidence or trust in a person or thing:
    faith in another's ability.

belief that is not based on proof:
    He had faith that the hypothesis would be substantiated by fact.

I highlight this one, because this is the definition you are most likely using. Unfortunately while
    in the case of some religions it might cut it, in this discussion it doesn't (see below***). Hence I think either (1) or (6)/(7) more accurately describe the nature of the Christian faith...

belief in God or in the doctrines or teachings of religion:
    the firm faith of the Pilgrims.

belief in anything, as a code of ethics, standards of merit, etc.:
    to be of the same faith with someone concerning honesty.

a system of religious belief:
    the Christian faith; the Jewish faith.

the obligation of loyalty or fidelity to a person, promise, engagement, etc.:
    Failure to appear would be breaking faith.

the observance of this obligation; fidelity to one's promise, oath, allegiance, etc.:
    He was the only one who proved his faith during our recent troubles.

A quick google search is sufficient...
    https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sour...0word%20pistis

also to stir the pot, isn't the atheists the ones who redefine "nothing"? and then call that learning.
    I call that inconsistency.

Also meaning of words change all the time, since the faith in question is several millenia old, it makes sense that Christians would be referring to an older definition. (some Christians prefer to use the word trust, but that is a personal opinion).

====
    ***So let us actually address what is really at hand then. The issue is not the existence of faith, trust or confidence; but what that trust is in. IT IS ONLY REALLY at this point then you claim that Christians have no evidence, but that requires a very SPECIFIC and narrow definition of evidence. This subtle difference is key.

that which tends to prove or disprove something; ground for belief; proof.

something that makes plain or clear; an indication or sign:
    His flushed look was visible evidence of his fever.

Law. data presented to a court or jury in proof of the facts in issue and which may include the testimony of witnesses, records, documents, or objects.

If we consider the 3rd definition and apply it to common events in the passion, then you see why Christians quantify certain things as evidence that you would reject on a given basis.
    Last edited by dan964; 14 Nov 2016 at 12:19 AM.

Links:

Oo, a moderator...

~~~~
    HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by Orwell View Post
    love a good Nietsche, clearly he forgot all those die hard soccer fans; or better the singing shows !!!

or if its Jesus, he'll should apparently back, eta 3 days or so. they tried killing him the first time !!!
    Last edited by dan964; 14 Nov 2016 at 12:23 AM.

Links:

Oo, a moderator...

HSC

I love how tense these type of threads are ahahah

Exalted Member
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Drsoccerball View Post
    I love how tense these type of threads are ahahah
    Yep - PAST tense.

HSC

Yep - PAST tense.
    Funny guy

Exalted Member
    HSC
    N/A

Funny guy
    Where?

HSC

I don't understand? Hope for what?
    2015 HSC: English Adv, Mathematics, Business Studies, Biology, Multimedia.

HSC Biology Flashcards

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Flop21 View Post
    I don't understand? Hope for what?
    asking the important questions

time to get semantic and pedantic

~~~~
    HSC
    Uni Grad

Yep - PAST tense.
    Pass tents
    Haha good joke, love it.
    Last edited by dan964; 14 Nov 2016 at 10:55 PM.

Links:

Oo, a moderator...

~~~~
    HSC
    Uni Grad

Fun[ny] guy
    mushroom

Links:

Oo, a moderator...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information