Poll: Is there hope without a god?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 56
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Is there hope without a God?

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    Narnia
    Posts
    20
    Rep Power
    1

    Is there hope without a God?

    Is there hope in the world without a god? If so what is this hope, where is the basis of this hope found? If not what hope does this God bring to human life or what do you do without hope in such a world as this?

    I think that it is important to bring up these sort of topics once in a while and to listen to what people say and read there comments then respectfully reply with our point of veiw. Please try and take the time to be respectful. It is good to get to understand different points of view so that we can make informed decisions and reply without ignorance
    Last edited by OrangeTasselBluebird; 23 Jun 2016 at 12:31 AM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Orwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Nineveh.
    Posts
    773
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Is there hope without a God?

    I'm a Catholic and despite not going to Church or 'expressing' my faith in the sense of adhering to a routine schedule of devout servitude, I still feel as if I maintain a connection with the deity. What you've stated above, I took to mean two things;

    1) Is there hope for mankind without the existence of God but the belief in God?
    2) Is there hope for mankind with/without the existence of God but no belief of a God?

    Which is it you're asking?
    Kreisler likes this.
    HSC 2017: English Advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Economics, Legal Studies, Business Studies, SOR 1

  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    Narnia
    Posts
    20
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Is there hope without a God?

    belief in God is a personal decision and needs to be carefully considered. What I am asking is
    If god does not exist is there hope and where is that hope found (i.e. in family )
    does the existance of hope in life rely upon the existance of a god (i.e. would there be no hope with no god)

  4. #4
    Senior Member Orwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Nineveh.
    Posts
    773
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Is there hope without a God?

    Yes, but you're saying that belief in God is a personal choice made according to one's volition and then you got on to say what if God does not exist. What doesn't make sense is that if you can believe in God then the notion of God's nonexistence is downplayed, in addition to this, if God truly didn't exist we wouldn't even know.

    However the question of 'Does hope rely upon the existence of God?' Hope in the afterlife? Yes. Hope in the second-coming? Yes. Hope in whether or not McDonald's opens a restaurant near you? No. I find this question difficult to answer, and I found myself circulating back to the meaning of life and I also began to ask myself if whether or not I'll be petrified by the notion of no afterlife. Granted I live a fulfilling life, I don't care.

    "You are the accidental by-product of nature, a result of matter plus time plus chance. There is no reason for your existence. All you face is death." I'd like to think it's more than this, it's definitely not accounting for the life we lead and of course, the part of us we leave behind. Ultimately, to answer 'Is there hope without a God?' in a very broad and general sense, I guess so.
    Kreisler likes this.
    HSC 2017: English Advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Economics, Legal Studies, Business Studies, SOR 1

  5. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    Narnia
    Posts
    20
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Is there hope without a God?

    My intentions in posting this were to allow people to delve into such questions of existance and the notion of hope. It is an abstract existential question and I am glad that it allowed you to think about life's meaning and your views on this. Maybe I should start a new thread about what hope is but I feel like maybe thats for another night.
    The question of god's existance does go hand in hand with a question like this and thus is open to respectful discussion here.
    I think the question you are battling with is what does hope mean. I am refering to a longer lived hope than that of the hope of an open mcdonalds around the corner. I guess my hope links more in with the purpose of life. Does life have a purpose? Is God the purpose of our lives? What brings hope to our existance.

  6. #6
    I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    HSC
    2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Shh
    Posts
    6,739
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Is there hope without a God?

    Inb4shitstorm
    Drsoccerball likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    what are you studying at uni? try and get some relevant stuff on your resume if possible

    So like, I volunteered for Girls Do The Maths
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradoxica View Post
    Of course you did.

  7. #7
    real human bean Absolutezero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    15,055
    Rep Power
    20

    Re: Is there hope without a God?

    Quote Originally Posted by Queenroot View Post
    Inb4shitstorm
    Just play nice kids

  8. #8
    Disillusioned BandSixFix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,503
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Is there hope without a God?

    Not necessarily God - but a belief in a higher form of enlightenment/figure is a requirement for hope.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    855
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Is there hope without a God?

    Quote Originally Posted by Orwell View Post
    I'm a Catholic
    The hypocrisy mate. You even have a symptom of internalised racism against your own ethnicity and culture that you belittle and insult.

    Funny how you argue for other religions to reform in your many posts, whereas Catholicism hasn't faced any reformation in the many centuries?
    Last edited by Simorgh; 23 Jun 2016 at 6:34 PM.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Orwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Nineveh.
    Posts
    773
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Is there hope without a God?

    Dude, read the rest of my post. I don't like to affiliate with the Church at all and I'm disgusted by the lack of transparency shown by the Church especially when it pertains to pedophilia. I prefer a more intimate connection with God and I think of him more as a fatherly figure than someone I got to kneel down to just to speak with.
    Kreisler likes this.
    HSC 2017: English Advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Economics, Legal Studies, Business Studies, SOR 1

  11. #11
    Senior Member Orwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Nineveh.
    Posts
    773
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Is there hope without a God?

    But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most, our one fellow and brother who most needed a friend yet had not a single one, the one sinner among us all who had the highest and clearest right to every Christian's daily and nightly prayers, for the plain and unassailable reason that his was the first and greatest need, he being among sinners the supremest?

    Not going to start praying for Satan but it's interesting. It's a Mark Twain quote.
    Kreisler likes this.
    HSC 2017: English Advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Economics, Legal Studies, Business Studies, SOR 1

  12. #12
    Executive Member sinophile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,367
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Is there hope without a God?

    god god god 123 123 123

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    585
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Is there hope without a God?

    Quote Originally Posted by Orwell View Post
    But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most, our one fellow and brother who most needed a friend yet had not a single one, the one sinner among us all who had the highest and clearest right to every Christian's daily and nightly prayers, for the plain and unassailable reason that his was the first and greatest need, he being among sinners the supremest?

    Not going to start praying for Satan but it's interesting. It's a Mark Twain quote.
    Satan worshipper confirmed

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    585
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Is there hope without a God?

    Quote Originally Posted by sinophile View Post
    god god god 123 123 123
    Illuminati confirmed
    sinophile likes this.

  15. #15
    Cadet cookie_dough's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    don't look up
    Posts
    75
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Is there hope without a God?

    Hope should solely come from within, we all have the strength within ourselves to persevere and achieve our strongest desires. It is this self-belief which provides the greatest hope that what we want will come to be. It is foolish to think a belief in God is a requirement, if god does exist he/she will not randomly grant everyones wishes

  16. #16
    Junior Member durrrrr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    HSC
    2004
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Macau
    Posts
    206
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Is there hope without a God?

    Quote Originally Posted by Orwell View Post
    But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most, our one fellow and brother who most needed a friend yet had not a single one, the one sinner among us all who had the highest and clearest right to every Christian's daily and nightly prayers, for the plain and unassailable reason that his was the first and greatest need, he being among sinners the supremest?

    Not going to start praying for Satan but it's interesting. It's a Mark Twain quote.
    praying for satan is heresy

  17. #17
    ремове кебаб wannaspoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    HSC
    2007
    Uni Grad
    2014
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,382
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Is there hope without a God?

    There is no hope, with or without "God"

  18. #18
    Executive Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    HSC
    2014
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Wollongong
    Posts
    1,906
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Is there hope without a God?

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeTasselBluebird View Post
    Is there hope in the world without a god? If so what is this hope, where is the basis of this hope found? If not what hope does this God bring to human life or what do you do without hope in such a world as this?

    I think that it is important to bring up these sort of topics once in a while and to listen to what people say and read there comments then respectfully reply with our point of veiw. Please try and take the time to be respectful. It is good to get to understand different points of view so that we can make informed decisions and reply without ignorance
    you do realise there is a related thread on this...
    2014 HSC - E4 in MX1 (90)
    2015 Gap Year (Youthworks)
    2016 UOW - Mathematics (Completed: MATH201, MATH202, MATH203, MATH204)

    Papers & Links for the HSC 2017 students
    View English Notes (no download)

  19. #19
    Executive Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    HSC
    2014
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Wollongong
    Posts
    1,906
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Is there hope without a God?

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeTasselBluebird View Post
    My intentions in posting this were to allow people to delve into such questions of existance and the notion of hope. It is an abstract existential question and I am glad that it allowed you to think about life's meaning and your views on this. Maybe I should start a new thread about what hope is but I feel like maybe thats for another night.
    The question of god's existance does go hand in hand with a question like this and thus is open to respectful discussion here.
    I think the question you are battling with is what does hope mean. I am refering to a longer lived hope than that of the hope of an open mcdonalds around the corner. I guess my hope links more in with the purpose of life. Does life have a purpose? Is God the purpose of our lives? What brings hope to our existance.
    there is a thread for that, note
    Does God exist?
    2014 HSC - E4 in MX1 (90)
    2015 Gap Year (Youthworks)
    2016 UOW - Mathematics (Completed: MATH201, MATH202, MATH203, MATH204)

    Papers & Links for the HSC 2017 students
    View English Notes (no download)

  20. #20
    Executive Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    HSC
    2014
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Wollongong
    Posts
    1,906
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Is there hope without a God?

    Quote Originally Posted by Simorgh View Post
    The hypocrisy mate. You even have a symptom of internalised racism against your own ethnicity and culture that you belittle and insult.

    Funny how you argue for other religions to reform in your many posts, whereas Catholicism hasn't faced any reformation in the many centuries?
    The ignorance in this post (although I won't comment on the first); there was the Reformation in the 1600s, which led to what we call Protestantism; originally Luther's aim was to reform the church, especially he was opposed was with indulgences (paying for closer access to God); not start a new separate denomination.

    There was also the counter-reformation movement as well. Even as a non-Catholic, I comment that there have been indeed movements within Catholicism to reform it in some measure; more recently, to put to end those things which you mentioned.

    ====

    I will say even as one who believes in God and Christ; there is hope, especially in the concept of a resurrection; obviously there in most religions that believe in religion, including mine, there isn't really hope for those who don't believe.

    I personally don't see any hope in reincarnation, and also hope is not in religion more generally (since I am using a broad category of religion, whose definition resembles that more so of "worldviews").
    Last edited by dan964; 24 Jun 2016 at 9:44 AM.
    2014 HSC - E4 in MX1 (90)
    2015 Gap Year (Youthworks)
    2016 UOW - Mathematics (Completed: MATH201, MATH202, MATH203, MATH204)

    Papers & Links for the HSC 2017 students
    View English Notes (no download)

  21. #21
    Cadet Comensite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    HSC
    2004
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    48
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Is there hope without a God?

    Quote Originally Posted by dan964 View Post
    The ignorance in this post (although I won't comment on the first); there was the Reformation in the 1600s, which led to what we call Protestantism; originally Luther's aim was to reform the church, especially he was opposed was with indulgences (paying for closer access to God); not start a new separate denomination.

    There was also the counter-reformation movement as well. Even as a non-Catholic, I comment that there have been indeed movements within Catholicism to reform it in some measure; more recently, to put to end those things which you mentioned.

    ====

    I will say even as one who believes in God and Christ; there is hope, especially in the concept of a resurrection; obviously there in most religions that believe in religion, including mine, there isn't really hope for those who don't believe.

    I personally don't see any hope in reincarnation, and also hope is not in religion more generally (since I am using a broad category of religion, whose definition resembles that more so of "worldviews").
    dw ignore the cuck, he just tries to make his version of "Islam" better when its all the same shit

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    855
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Is there hope without a God?

    Quote Originally Posted by dan964 View Post
    The ignorance in this post (although I won't comment on the first); there was the Reformation in the 1600s, which led to what we call Protestantism; originally Luther's aim was to reform the church, especially he was opposed was with indulgences (paying for closer access to God); not start a new separate denomination.

    There was also the counter-reformation movement as well. Even as a non-Catholic, I comment that there have been indeed movements within Catholicism to reform it in some measure; more recently, to put to end those things which you mentioned.

    ====

    I will say even as one who believes in God and Christ; there is hope, especially in the concept of a resurrection; obviously there in most religions that believe in religion, including mine, there isn't really hope for those who don't believe.

    I personally don't see any hope in reincarnation, and also hope is not in religion more generally (since I am using a broad category of religion, whose definition resembles that more so of "worldviews").
    I know all this! But was I talking about Protestantism which is definitely reformed and branched out of Catholicism so not relevant? When talking purely about Catholicism its hasn't been reformed to that extent.

    The rest is me not agreeing with Orwell, for instance his perceived hypocrisy and internalised racism.

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    855
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Is there hope without a God?

    Quote Originally Posted by Comensite View Post
    dw ignore the cuck, he just tries to make his version of "Islam" better when its all the same shit
    I don't speak for Islam or Muslims. Neither do I wish to.

    Yes its all the same 'shit'.

  24. #24
    Junior Member Red_of_Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    154
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Is there hope without a God?

    Quote Originally Posted by Simorgh View Post
    Catholicism hasn't faced any reformation in the many centuries?
    What about the 21 Catholic Ecumenical Councils they've had?

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    855
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Is there hope without a God?

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_of_Head View Post
    What about the 21 Catholic Ecumenical Councils they've had?
    And yes there have been small negligible changes but not to a large extent to consider it a reformation. The only Catholic reformation was Protestantism which later on became a sect of its own independent of Catholicism. The Reformation movement ended being really violent cause and claimed the lives of 5-15 million Europeans.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •