EU referendum: BBC forecasts UK vote to leave (1 Viewer)

Red_of_Head

HSC
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-36615028

"The UK has voted by 52% to 48% to leave the European Union after 43 years in an historic referendum, a BBC forecast suggests.

London and Scotland voted strongly to stay in the EU but the remain vote has been undermined by poor results in the north of England.

Voters in Wales and the English shires have backed Brexit in large numbers.

The pound fell to its lowest level against the dollar since 1985 as the markets reacted to the results.

Referendum turnout was higher than at last year's general election.

Labour's Shadow chancellor John McDonnell said the Bank of England may have to intervene to shore up the pound, which lost 3% within moments of the first result showing a strong result for Leave in Sunderland and fell as much as 6.5% against the euro."

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
I hope they enjoy their recession.

On the plus side, it's probably a good time to buy stocks.

Red_of_Head

HSC
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-36599102

"Scotland has voted in favour of the UK staying in the EU by 62% to 38% - with all 32 council areas backing Remain.

But the UK as a whole has voted to Leave - raising the prospect of Scotland being taken out of the EU against its will.

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said Scotland had delivered a 'strong, unequivocal vote' to remain in the EU.

Leave has built an insurmountable lead in the race - with the BBC forecasting a win for Leave by 52% to 48%.

Ms Sturgeon's predecessor, Alex Salmond, said the result could lead to a second independence referendum.

The SNP manifesto for May's Scottish Parliament election said there should be another referendum if there was a 'significant and material' change in circumstances, such as Scotland being taken out of the EU against its will.

Mr Salmond told the BBC he was 'quite certain Nicola Sturgeon would implement the SNP manifesto.'

Glasgow voted by 168,335 (67%) to 84,474 (33%) in favour of Remain, although turnout was relatively low.

Edinburgh backed Remain by 187,796 (74%) to 64,498 (26%), but results in England and Wales were much better for Leave.

Ms Sturgeon said the vote had made clear 'that the people of Scotland see their future as part of the European Union'.

She added: 'We await the final UK-wide result, but Scotland has spoken - and spoken decisively.'

The Scottish government's external affairs secretary, Fiona Hyslop, said all options were being looked at in order to 'protect Scotland's interests' and warned there would be 'consequences' if the UK made a decision against the will of the Scottish people."

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
As a case study, I'm excited to see the after-effects, both short term AND long term. (Don't post what you think will happen, I have already consumed enough Economic studies etc..)

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
As a case study, I'm excited to see the after-effects, both short term AND long term. (Don't post what you think will happen, I have already consumed enough Economic studies etc..)
lol yeah, from our (fairly) neutral standpoint it will be interesting to see what happens

Orwell

HSC
Anyone willing to trade short term monetary gain over freedom deserves neither.

Orwell

HSC
We haven't won, our battle is just beginning.

Orwell

HSC
You aren't even from the UK let alone living there lel.
I don't understand your point. Just because I'm not from the UK I don't want their people to have freedom?

Red_of_Head

HSC
Here's the data on the election: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-36616028

The young mostly voted Remain. Those areas with the most elderly, the least education and the most identification with their nationality voted Leave.

Northern Ireland, Scotland and London voted largely to Remain, while Wales and England mostly voted to Leave.

Red_of_Head

HSC
It'll be interesting to see how this affects Scotland and Northern Ireland and their place in the UK.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-36599102

"Scotland has voted in favour of the UK staying in the EU by 62% to 38% - with all 32 council areas backing Remain.

But the UK as a whole has voted to Leave - raising the prospect of Scotland being taken out of the EU against its will.

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said Scotland had delivered a 'strong, unequivocal vote' to remain in the EU.

Leave has built an insurmountable lead in the race - with the BBC forecasting a win for Leave by 52% to 48%.

Ms Sturgeon's predecessor, Alex Salmond, said the result could lead to a second independence referendum.

The SNP manifesto for May's Scottish Parliament election said there should be another referendum if there was a 'significant and material' change in circumstances, such as Scotland being taken out of the EU against its will.

Mr Salmond told the BBC he was 'quite certain Nicola Sturgeon would implement the SNP manifesto.'

Glasgow voted by 168,335 (67%) to 84,474 (33%) in favour of Remain, although turnout was relatively low.

Edinburgh backed Remain by 187,796 (74%) to 64,498 (26%), but results in England and Wales were much better for Leave.

Ms Sturgeon said the vote had made clear 'that the people of Scotland see their future as part of the European Union'.

She added: 'We await the final UK-wide result, but Scotland has spoken - and spoken decisively.'

The Scottish government's external affairs secretary, Fiona Hyslop, said all options were being looked at in order to 'protect Scotland's interests' and warned there would be 'consequences' if the UK made a decision against the will of the Scottish people."
The EU were enormous opponents to scottish independence so scots are just massive fucking morons at this stage

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
I hope they enjoy their recession.

On the plus side, it's probably a good time to buy stocks.
If there is a recession then that simply means a recession was needed to undo the damage of the EU.

In any case, the economic damage will be far, FAR less than say, being forced to take millions of immigrants from Turkey.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)