Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 117
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Is there such a thing as Gender?

  1. #26
    I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    My bathtub
    Posts
    7,227
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by boredofstudiesuser1 View Post
    A - That's not evolution, it's adaptation (not the same thing)
    B - You can't even prove this. The differences in the brain could be linked to something else...
    C - If part B were to be true, how does evolution make this happen?

  2. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    464
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by Queenroot View Post
    They're not going to be growing limbs and turning into humans... they're just adapting and becoming stronger

    Adaptation stays within the species, evolution is things changing kinds completely.

  3. #28
    Supreme Member Flop21's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2,865
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by boredofstudiesuser1 View Post
    A - That's not evolution, it's adaptation (not the same thing)
    B - You can't even prove this. The differences in the brain could be linked to something else...
    C - If part B were to be true, how does evolution make this happen?

    A - They are adapting through evolution. The basic principles of evolution is being demonstrated in that video. The bacteria that have a genetic mutation that allows them to survive the drug, allows them to survive, and thus reproduce (produce more bacteria with that mutation), repeat for the next set of drugs. The ones that cannot survive the drug?? They die and DO NOT reproduce. Hence you can see that over time you will have more bacteria with this survival mutation.

    Let me know if you have any more questions about this.



    I don't understand what you both are talking about in B and C.
    2015 HSC: English Adv, Mathematics, Business Studies, Biology, Multimedia.

    HSC Biology Flashcards

  4. #29
    Supreme Member Flop21's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2,865
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by boredofstudiesuser1 View Post
    They're not going to be growing limbs and turning into humans... they're just adapting and becoming stronger

    Adaptation stays within the species, evolution is things changing kinds completely.
    What has your first sentence got to do with evolution being demonstrated with bacteria and antibiotics?


    Your second sentence doesn't make sense. Evolution can result in traits that stay in the same species. The peppered moth became more dark during the industrial revolution, but it's still the same insect.
    2015 HSC: English Adv, Mathematics, Business Studies, Biology, Multimedia.

    HSC Biology Flashcards

  5. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    464
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flop21 View Post
    What has your first sentence got to do with evolution being demonstrated with bacteria and antibiotics?


    Your second sentence doesn't make sense. Evolution can result in traits that stay in the same species. The peppered moth became more dark during the industrial revolution, but it's still the same insect.
    Well then it's not evolution, it's just adaptation.
    My first sentence is pretty self-explanatory... The bacteria are not a form of evidence for evolutionary process (where things come from common ancestors (whales, humans etc.) and is just a simple observable adaptation.

  6. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    464
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flop21 View Post
    A - They are adapting through evolution. The basic principles of evolution is being demonstrated in that video. The bacteria that have a genetic mutation that allows them to survive the drug, allows them to survive, and thus reproduce (produce more bacteria with that mutation), repeat for the next set of drugs. The ones that cannot survive the drug?? They die and DO NOT reproduce. Hence you can see that over time you will have more bacteria with this survival mutation.

    Let me know if you have any more questions about this.



    I don't understand what you both are talking about in B and C.
    No, I get it but thanks.
    It still doesn't prove how kinds have changed into different kinds, even if it is gradual. These bacteria are always bacteria, just adapted to their surroundings. Natural Selection is not a form of evidence for evolution, it's just how species can survive to become suited to their environment, but they are still going to be that kind. Doesn't prove anything.

  7. #32
    ремове кебаб wannaspoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    HSC
    2007
    Uni Grad
    2014
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,406
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by KingOfActing View Post
    I sexually Identify as an Attack Helicopter. Ever since I was a boy I dreamed of soaring over the oilfields dropping hot sticky loads on disgusting foreigners. People say to me that a person being a helicopter is Impossible and I’m fucking retarded but I don’t care, I’m beautiful. I’m having a plastic surgeon install rotary blades, 30 mm cannons and AMG-114 Hellfire missiles on my body. From now on I want you guys to call me “Apache” and respect my right to kill from above and kill needlessly. If you can’t accept me you’re a heliphobe and need to check your vehicle privilege. Thank you for being so understanding.

  8. #33
    Supreme Member Flop21's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2,865
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by boredofstudiesuser1 View Post
    Well then it's not evolution, it's just adaptation.
    My first sentence is pretty self-explanatory... The bacteria are not a form of evidence for evolutionary process (where things come from common ancestors (whales, humans etc.) and is just a simple observable adaptation.
    But you've just witnessed how something can change? That bacteria has just SURVIVED a drug that KILLED most of it. Do you not realise that for something to get from a late common ancestor to something today... it must undergo multiple changes over a long period of time? Do you not see that that CHANGE that we just witnessed shows how that can occur?

    And adaptation is a part of evolution.


    EDIT: Also I sense you don't really understand evolution. That's okay, as long as you're willing to learn.

    Here are some good places to start learning:

    video

    link 2
    Last edited by Flop21; 26 Sep 2016 at 7:54 PM.
    Sien likes this.
    2015 HSC: English Adv, Mathematics, Business Studies, Biology, Multimedia.

    HSC Biology Flashcards

  9. #34
    I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    My bathtub
    Posts
    7,227
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by boredofstudiesuser1 View Post
    They're not going to be growing limbs and turning into humans... they're just adapting and becoming stronger

    Adaptation stays within the species, evolution is things changing kinds completely.

  10. #35
    listening to tapes Squar3root's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    HSC
    2017
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    welcome to ur tape
    Posts
    4,766
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Male and female

    /end
    Free MX1 Notes: http://tinyurl.com/freeMX1notes
    B Engineering (I have no idea anymore) @UNSW IV

  11. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    464
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flop21 View Post
    But you've just witnessed how something can change? That bacteria has just SURVIVED a drug that KILLED most of it. Do you not realise that for something to get from a late common ancestor to something today... it must undergo multiple changes over a long period of time? Do you not see that that CHANGE that we just witnessed shows how that can occur?

    And adaptation is a part of evolution.


    EDIT: Also I sense you don't really understand evolution. That's okay, as long as you're willing to learn.

    Here are some good places to start learning:

    video

    link 2
    Ok, explain why I don't understand evolution. Maybe it'll make me understand better.

  12. #37
    Supreme Member Flop21's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2,865
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by boredofstudiesuser1 View Post
    Ok, explain why I don't understand evolution. Maybe it'll make me understand better.
    what?????


    I don't know what you don't understand. You need to find that out yourself. I've already told you what's wrong about what you've said on here though.
    2015 HSC: English Adv, Mathematics, Business Studies, Biology, Multimedia.

    HSC Biology Flashcards

  13. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    464
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flop21 View Post
    what?????


    I don't know what you don't understand. You need to find that out yourself. I've already told you what's wrong about what you've said on here though.
    Adaptation is seen as a part of evolution but can be standalone. Evolution has just kinda 'embraced' it. The change does not mean that it was a completely different kind years ago... that's not observable. It just means it has changed within its kind but is still bacteria. The purpose of it will still stay the same, just stronger and better at what it does.

    I don't think we're going to get anywhere with this conversation (you can continue and I will reply and be open-minded but I won't engage that much). I appreciate your time and willingness.

  14. #39
    Supreme Member Flop21's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2,865
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by boredofstudiesuser1 View Post
    Adaptation is seen as a part of evolution but can be standalone. Evolution has just kinda 'embraced' it. The change does not mean that it was a completely different kind years ago... that's not observable. It just means it has changed within its kind but is still bacteria. The purpose of it will still stay the same, just stronger and better at what it does.

    I don't think we're going to get anywhere with this conversation (you can continue and I will reply and be open-minded but I won't engage that much). I appreciate your time and willingness.
    Because not only are you ignorant and uneducated, you are unwilling to learn? That is one of the worst kinds of things a person can be.

    You're literally a drain on humanity. You truly don't deserve to reap the rewards science has given you if you're going to 'choose' not to believe in it. If you have been taught this from your parents, they're the same. Utterly disgusting.

    You are not making ONE bit of sense. Please only open your mouth if you're going to use your brain and logic.

    -

    Also it is observable, have you ever looked at a fossil? LITERALLY physical, hard, evidence? How stupid can you be?
    2015 HSC: English Adv, Mathematics, Business Studies, Biology, Multimedia.

    HSC Biology Flashcards

  15. #40
    将来: NEET Sien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    大学入試地獄
    Posts
    2,218
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by boredofstudiesuser1 View Post
    Adaptation is seen as a part of evolution but can be standalone. Evolution has just kinda 'embraced' it. The change does not mean that it was a completely different kind years ago... that's not observable. It just means it has changed within its kind but is still bacteria. The purpose of it will still stay the same, just stronger and better at what it does.

    I don't think we're going to get anywhere with this conversation (you can continue and I will reply and be open-minded but I won't engage that much). I appreciate your time and willingness.
    Not sure if troll or just misinformed about evolution lmao

    Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

  16. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    464
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flop21 View Post
    Because not only are you ignorant and uneducated, you are unwilling to learn? That is one of the worst kinds of things a person can be.

    You're literally a drain on humanity. You truly don't deserve to reap the rewards science has given you if you're going to 'choose' not to believe in it. If you have been taught this from your parents, they're the same. Utterly disgusting.

    You are not making ONE bit of sense. Please only open your mouth if you're going to use your brain and logic.

    -

    Also it is observable, have you ever looked at a fossil? LITERALLY physical, hard, evidence? How stupid can you be?
    A fossil is evidence that animal existed, not what it's related to nor where it came from. Instead of insulting, why not explain how I'm wrong? Same with Sien. And in the case you didn't see, right next to what you put in bold, I said I'd be open-minded but the way we were discussing it wasn't working.

    It's not that I choose not to believe it, I don't see how it's evidence. It's as if I got a book, read it and then said what I thought the author meant when he wrote it, without knowing what he actually meant. Fossils are there, show that whatever the fossil was, was there, but not what it was related to... Just because things have similar features, doesn't mean they have the same ancestors... it just doesn't make sense how one can jump to the conclusion. I've read all about comparative anatomy, comparative embryology etc. but I don't see how it is anymore than just deductions and opinions on objects/diagrams...

    And I'm open to discussion, no need to being my parents into it lol. Utterly disgusting? Right ok. In your next reply, instead of attacking me replace the sentence with substance:

    Try this:

    Instead of "You are not making ONE bit of sense"

    Try figuring how it doesn't make sense, and then continue. If you don't understand at all, you can try, "sorry could you explain this bit for me?"

    I'm sure, being the smart person you are, can figure out that insults do not heighten one's stance in a discussion and adds no content

  17. #42
    I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    My bathtub
    Posts
    7,227
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Borderofstudiesuser1 rewriting the history books

    Round of applause pls

    Prodigy and legend

  18. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    464
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by Queenroot View Post
    Borderofstudiesuser1 rewriting the history books

    Round of applause pls

    Prodigy and legend
    Erm... huh?

    I actually don't understand...

    Obviously sarcasm, but I don't get it...

  19. #44
    I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    My bathtub
    Posts
    7,227
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Pretty legit troll

  20. #45
    将来: NEET Sien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    大学入試地獄
    Posts
    2,218
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by boredofstudiesuser1 View Post
    A fossil is evidence that animal existed, not what it's related to nor where it came from. Instead of insulting, why not explain how I'm wrong? Same with Sien. And in the case you didn't see, right next to what you put in bold, I said I'd be open-minded but the way we were discussing it wasn't working.

    It's not that I choose not to believe it, I don't see how it's evidence. It's as if I got a book, read it and then said what I thought the author meant when he wrote it, without knowing what he actually meant. Fossils are there, show that whatever the fossil was, was there, but not what it was related to... Just because things have similar features, doesn't mean they have the same ancestors... it just doesn't make sense how one can jump to the conclusion. I've read all about comparative anatomy, comparative embryology etc. but I don't see how it is anymore than just deductions and opinions on objects/diagrams...

    And I'm open to discussion, no need to being my parents into it lol. Utterly disgusting? Right ok. In your next reply, instead of attacking me replace the sentence with substance:

    Try this:

    Instead of "You are not making ONE bit of sense"

    Try figuring how it doesn't make sense, and then continue. If you don't understand at all, you can try, "sorry could you explain this bit for me?"

    I'm sure, being the smart person you are, can figure out that insults do not heighten one's stance in a discussion and adds no content

    You're right comparative anatomy can be a dodge way to see evolution, that led people long ago to think chimps, monkeys and orangutans as one group and humans as separate group. But you cant completely disregard it, how do you explain the common features such as the pentadactyl limb? They don't 'look alike' but the basic structural plan is there. And also we have modern biotechnology to more accurately determine the evolutionary relationships eg DNA hybridization. And yes there is a bias in fossils in that certain organisms with hard bodies preserved better than those with soft bodies (incomplete fossil record I suppose) ,so that may limit the ability to prove evolution, but again we can't completely disregard fossils. How do you explain transitional forms? And what about comparing ancient organisms to today's organisms, the ancient kangaroo was the size of a rat and had no specialized teeth as it lived in lush rain forests with plenty of food to eat. Then as climate changed to be more arid and dry, the kangaroo adapted and led to kangaroo's body size becoming bigger because their digestive system being more complex in that they adaped to the cellulose in plants and they have high crested molars to grind low nutrient grass into digestable paste.

    Just because you don't understand the evidence doesn't mean it's not there LOL that's like reading a medical book with lots of complex jargons and diagrams you don't understand and be like yea not true cuz I don't understand.
    But yes, there is a chance we all got this whole evolution thing wrong, it is a theory afterall, but that can be said to many things ahaha like how do we know if the insides of the earth is three layers of solid and one liquid- molten metal. We have not even dug that far into the earth (OK probably shit example since my geo sucks).

    Also seeing your previous posts about evolution, search macro and micro evolution, I think you are misunderstanding what evolution really is.



    Disclaimer: there may be inaccurate info in what I wrote


    Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sien; 27 Sep 2016 at 8:56 AM.

  21. #46
    Supreme Member Flop21's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2,865
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by boredofstudiesuser1 View Post
    A fossil is evidence that animal existed, not what it's related to nor where it came from. Instead of insulting, why not explain how I'm wrong? Same with Sien. And in the case you didn't see, right next to what you put in bold, I said I'd be open-minded but the way we were discussing it wasn't working.

    It's not that I choose not to believe it, I don't see how it's evidence. It's as if I got a book, read it and then said what I thought the author meant when he wrote it, without knowing what he actually meant. Fossils are there, show that whatever the fossil was, was there, but not what it was related to... Just because things have similar features, doesn't mean they have the same ancestors... it just doesn't make sense how one can jump to the conclusion. I've read all about comparative anatomy, comparative embryology etc. but I don't see how it is anymore than just deductions and opinions on objects/diagrams...

    And I'm open to discussion, no need to being my parents into it lol. Utterly disgusting? Right ok. In your next reply, instead of attacking me replace the sentence with substance:

    Try this:

    Instead of "You are not making ONE bit of sense"

    Try figuring how it doesn't make sense, and then continue. If you don't understand at all, you can try, "sorry could you explain this bit for me?"

    I'm sure, being the smart person you are, can figure out that insults do not heighten one's stance in a discussion and adds no content
    I already did explain why you were wrong, but you refuse to think and use your brain. Hence I thought we've hit a brick wall.

    What do you expect when you say this, "I don't think we're going to get anywhere with this conversation (you can continue and I will reply and be open-minded but I won't engage that much)".

    Why shouldn't I bring your parents into this? You're a kid. Why does a kid think they know so much about science when they haven't even reached past 9th grade science?

    -

    First off, do you understand evolution? If so, explain it so we know you do.


    Your whole argument is based on 'we didn't see it happen so it didn't happen'. That's silly, can't you see? If we're investigating a murder, of course most of the time we don't actually SEE it happening in real time, but if we find enough evidence proving that a certain person murdered another, we charge them with murder (and can safely say they did the murder), because that's the logical conclusion.

    EDIT: Okay fair enough discussion completely off topic. Feel free to PM me if you want to know more about what evolution is (you don't know what it is).
    Last edited by Flop21; 27 Sep 2016 at 12:08 PM.
    2015 HSC: English Adv, Mathematics, Business Studies, Biology, Multimedia.

    HSC Biology Flashcards

  22. #47
    listening to tapes Squar3root's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    HSC
    2017
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    welcome to ur tape
    Posts
    4,766
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    evolution is a lie that scientists want people to believe
    We all know that it was the work of God
    Free MX1 Notes: http://tinyurl.com/freeMX1notes
    B Engineering (I have no idea anymore) @UNSW IV

  23. #48
    I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    My bathtub
    Posts
    7,227
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    big pharma

  24. #49
    I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    My bathtub
    Posts
    7,227
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    vaccines give autism

  25. #50
    I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    My bathtub
    Posts
    7,227
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    big bang is just a theory

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •