Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 117
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Is there such a thing as Gender?

  1. #51
    Supreme Member Flop21's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2,859
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by boredofstudiesuser1 View Post
    A fossil is evidence that animal existed, not what it's related to nor where it came from. Instead of insulting, why not explain how I'm wrong? Same with Sien. And in the case you didn't see, right next to what you put in bold, I said I'd be open-minded but the way we were discussing it wasn't working.
    How do you explain animals that seemingly appear out of nowhere down the timeline? You so have a map of all the animals that existed at one point due to fossils, then you go upwards and find newer fossils that have animals that are completely different to those at the bottom. How have those new animals appeared?

    (the horse for example)
    2015 HSC: English Adv, Mathematics, Business Studies, Biology, Multimedia.

    HSC Biology Flashcards

  2. #52
    ремове кебаб wannaspoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    HSC
    2007
    Uni Grad
    2014
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,405
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?



    How did a topic regarding gender get to evolution?

    Adaptation is actually very different to Evolution...

    Adaptation is a circumstance where the creatures genome has altered itself for the purposes of survival... A good example of this is how wolf populations in and around Chernobyl have been able to alter their genomic data to have greater tolerance to the radioactive environment to reduce their risks of genomic mutations (such as cancer)... This has had consequences to the actual wolves themselves causing them to be much larger than a conventional wolf free of excessive exposures to radiation... However, they are still canines and nothing has actually changed for them to be considered a different species...

    Adaptation is normally a genomic response to environmental change...

    Evolution on the other hand, is a much more radical form of change that sort of builds to the point where that animal can no longer be categorised as *insert name of species* but instead, a different species from their origins... For instances, the human evolution, went from microbes *species A* in the water to where we are today *species Z...*
    Last edited by wannaspoon; 27 Sep 2016 at 3:01 PM.

  3. #53
    I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    My bathtub
    Posts
    7,110
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    In biology, an adaptation, also called an adaptive trait, is a trait with a current functional role in the life of an organism that is maintained and evolved by means of natural selection. Adaptation refers to both the current state of being adapted and to the dynamic evolutionary process that leads to the adaptation.

    thx bye

  4. #54
    Disillusioned BandSixFix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,535
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    There are only 3 genders

  5. #55
    listening to tapes Squar3root's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    HSC
    2017
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    welcome to ur tape
    Posts
    4,721
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by Queenroot View Post
    big pharma
    They're scamming people of trillions of dollars. They invented cancer, HIV, ebola etc

    Quote Originally Posted by Queenroot View Post
    vaccines give autism
    this is also true. There are many scientific papers and research that proves this

    Quote Originally Posted by Queenroot View Post
    big bang is just a theory
    obviously that's why they made a tv show about it

    Quote Originally Posted by Flop21 View Post
    How do you explain animals that seemingly appear out of nowhere down the timeline? You so have a map of all the animals that existed at one point due to fossils, then you go upwards and find newer fossils that have animals that are completely different to those at the bottom. How have those new animals appeared?

    (the horse for example)
    obviously they haven't found the horse fossils yet or they could have been eaten by other creatures
    Queenroot, Flop21 and Sien like this.
    Free MX1 Notes: http://tinyurl.com/freeMX1notes
    B Engineering (I have no idea anymore) @UNSW IV

  6. #56
    Taking a break! dan964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    HSC
    2014
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    South of here
    Posts
    2,464
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flop21 View Post
    How do you explain animals that seemingly appear out of nowhere down the timeline? You so have a map of all the animals that existed at one point due to fossils, then you go upwards and find newer fossils that have animals that are completely different to those at the bottom. How have those new animals appeared?

    (the horse for example)
    You mean the Cambrian explosion. That is something I don't think evolution itself accounts for in its current form.
    I am personally skeptical of evolution, I don't deny or hold to it; I am still trying to get properly informed about it. The problem I find is why it is the most seasoned explanation for particular phenomena, because of it is seemingly disproves certain ideas, the actual explanatory power of evolution is exaggerated.

    I would not dispute adaption and natural selection. The part of the theory I am most skeptical of, is links between unrelated species (like I understand one type of finch evolving into another type of finch over a long time period, but not say a fish swam out of the ocean into a mammal (cue the song)).

    I wouldn't see much relevance to the argument, unless you are talking about the evolution of the brain.

    My best guess at what gender is, starts with when you look a strawberry there is a distinguishable difference between the substance itself and the mental association. Gender is somewhat the mental state associated with a particular biological/genetic sex.
    2014 HSC
    2015 Gap Year
    2016-2018 UOW Bachelor of Maths/Maths Advanced.

    Links:
    View English Notes (no download)
    Maths Notes - Free Sample

    Currently working on an assignment, won't get back to you until tomorrow.

  7. #57
    Taking a break! dan964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    HSC
    2014
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    South of here
    Posts
    2,464
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by Squar3root View Post
    They're scamming people of trillions of dollars. They invented cancer, HIV, ebola etc
    and AIDS?
    this is also true. There are many scientific papers and research that proves this
    trying to find this quote !!
    obviously that's why they made a tv show about it
    haha maybe. Big Bang has credible evidence, but it far from being the final explanation, hence theories of multiverse, oscillating universe circulating amongst some.
    obviously they haven't found the horse fossils yet or they could have been eaten by other creatures
    or they hadn't evolved yet? lack of evidence doesn't prove anything, especially when there are massive explosions of life.
    2014 HSC
    2015 Gap Year
    2016-2018 UOW Bachelor of Maths/Maths Advanced.

    Links:
    View English Notes (no download)
    Maths Notes - Free Sample

    Currently working on an assignment, won't get back to you until tomorrow.

  8. #58
    Taking a break! dan964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    HSC
    2014
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    South of here
    Posts
    2,464
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Just another note, resulting to insults is hardly a good way to argue, from either side, even if you think have the truth/correct/morally superior position; especially if they are of a personal nature. Engage with their arguments, in a nicer fashion, if you want to win them over to your position. Calling someone a bigot, delusional or "disgusting" because they don't believe in a particular position, especially as in this case a scientific position, which should be (which in reality it isn't), more easy to verify.

    It might be helpful for the sake of the other user, to clarify actually what evolution is; and why is it reasonable, maybe start a thread on it; rather than just say, well he confused adaption with evolution.
    (Adaptation is a subset of evolution). Evolution is a broad term covering multiple things.

    "the process by which different kinds of living organism are believed to have developed from earlier forms during the history of the earth."

    Side note: I will note for the observer, the version I was taught in school was supposedly Darwinian evolution, made very little reference (in fact none) to macroevolution, and in fact the version of evolution that apparently exists today is not the same (although derived) from what was taught in school; understandably.
    Last edited by dan964; 27 Sep 2016 at 10:48 PM.
    2014 HSC
    2015 Gap Year
    2016-2018 UOW Bachelor of Maths/Maths Advanced.

    Links:
    View English Notes (no download)
    Maths Notes - Free Sample

    Currently working on an assignment, won't get back to you until tomorrow.

  9. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    HSC
    2004
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Macau
    Posts
    235
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by Queenroot View Post
    In biology, an adaptation, also called an adaptive trait, is a trait with a current functional role in the life of an organism that is maintained and evolved by means of natural selection. Adaptation refers to both the current state of being adapted and to the dynamic evolutionary process that leads to the adaptation.

    thx bye
    nerd

  10. #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    662
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by BandSixFix View Post
    There are only 3 genders
    Male, Female and Other

  11. #61
    Taking a break! dan964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    HSC
    2014
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    South of here
    Posts
    2,464
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by plane View Post
    Male, Female and Other
    Pineapples....

    Nah, I don't identify anything of the "other" category. Not that it is too much of a big deal for me.
    2014 HSC
    2015 Gap Year
    2016-2018 UOW Bachelor of Maths/Maths Advanced.

    Links:
    View English Notes (no download)
    Maths Notes - Free Sample

    Currently working on an assignment, won't get back to you until tomorrow.

  12. #62
    I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    My bathtub
    Posts
    7,110
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by durrrrr View Post
    nerd
    thx

  13. #63
    listening to tapes Squar3root's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    HSC
    2017
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    welcome to ur tape
    Posts
    4,721
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by dan964 View Post
    and AIDS?

    trying to find this quote !!

    haha maybe. Big Bang has credible evidence, but it far from being the final explanation, hence theories of multiverse, oscillating universe circulating amongst some.

    or they hadn't evolved yet? lack of evidence doesn't prove anything, especially when there are massive explosions of life.
    If you do a quick Google search you can find many papers that support my arguments
    Free MX1 Notes: http://tinyurl.com/freeMX1notes
    B Engineering (I have no idea anymore) @UNSW IV

  14. #64
    listening to tapes Squar3root's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    HSC
    2017
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    welcome to ur tape
    Posts
    4,721
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Amundies and wannaspoon like this.
    Free MX1 Notes: http://tinyurl.com/freeMX1notes
    B Engineering (I have no idea anymore) @UNSW IV

  15. #65
    Taking a break! dan964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    HSC
    2014
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    South of here
    Posts
    2,464
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by Squar3root View Post
    If you do a quick Google search you can find many papers that support my arguments
    what exactly are your arguments, I am actually trying to trace them.
    2014 HSC
    2015 Gap Year
    2016-2018 UOW Bachelor of Maths/Maths Advanced.

    Links:
    View English Notes (no download)
    Maths Notes - Free Sample

    Currently working on an assignment, won't get back to you until tomorrow.

  16. #66
    Supreme Member Flop21's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2,859
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by dan964 View Post
    Just another note, resulting to insults is hardly a good way to argue, from either side, even if you think have the truth/correct/morally superior position; especially if they are of a personal nature. Engage with their arguments, in a nicer fashion, if you want to win them over to your position. Calling someone a bigot, delusional or "disgusting" because they don't believe in a particular position, especially as in this case a scientific position, which should be (which in reality it isn't), more easy to verify.

    It might be helpful for the sake of the other user, to clarify actually what evolution is; and why is it reasonable, maybe start a thread on it; rather than just say, well he confused adaption with evolution.
    (Adaptation is a subset of evolution). Evolution is a broad term covering multiple things.

    "the process by which different kinds of living organism are believed to have developed from earlier forms during the history of the earth."

    Side note: I will note for the observer, the version I was taught in school was supposedly Darwinian evolution, made very little reference (in fact none) to macroevolution, and in fact the version of evolution that apparently exists today is not the same (although derived) from what was taught in school; understandably.
    This isn't something to argue about. Don't act like a know-it-all and imply I'm wrong when I'm not. Then maybe I would have continued to attempt to educate the person (I was happily and showing her the facts in a friendly way).

    This was never an argument. The girl is so blinded by her own stupidity and stubbornness (how could she or her parents be wrong!!!? I know it's a tough one), she doesn't WANT to listen to people trying to educate her. Nor does she want to educate herself (it's not hard when you have the entire world's knowledge at your fingertips / internet). She thinks she knows better than the collective whole of scientists around the world.

    It's okay to debate things in science, but only if you know your shit. Are you a scientist who is on the cutting edge of research on the topic your talking about? Okay it's okay to start questioning such things. If not, you're just being arrogant and stupid.

    So nah. I'm not going to sit back after all that and make sure I don't hurt anyone's feelings. There are very little people in the world that I don't like, and these are the types of people I don't like. So sucked in if you're offended. It was intentional.
    Last edited by Flop21; 28 Sep 2016 at 10:40 PM.
    2015 HSC: English Adv, Mathematics, Business Studies, Biology, Multimedia.

    HSC Biology Flashcards

  17. #67
    Loquacious One Drsoccerball's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,668
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?


    soz had to post this.

  18. #68
    Executive Member sinophile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,408
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    there are people with xx chromosomes and xy chromosomes, and a few rare cases of different combos of those

  19. #69
    listening to tapes Squar3root's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    HSC
    2017
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    welcome to ur tape
    Posts
    4,721
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by dan964 View Post
    what exactly are your arguments, I am actually trying to trace them.
    My main argument is that it's not happening now. Like if we're meant to adapt to out environments why haven't we grown wings. And if we're always meant to be adapting how come there are mutations


    doesn't make sense?
    Free MX1 Notes: http://tinyurl.com/freeMX1notes
    B Engineering (I have no idea anymore) @UNSW IV

  20. #70
    Yogurt RenegadeMx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    HSC
    2013
    Uni Grad
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,233
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by Squar3root View Post
    My main argument is that it's not happening now. Like if we're meant to adapt to out environments why haven't we grown wings. And if we're always meant to be adapting how come there are mutations


    doesn't make sense?
    cuz we have technology we dont need to adapt biologically anymore when we can use technology to adapt nature



    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    other bos-ers have a penis pic sharing club and i'm debating whether i want in on it or not


    ~just so i belong~
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    who cares about your timetable - you should be going into uni every day to study and do whatever regardless

  21. #71
    ремове кебаб wannaspoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    HSC
    2007
    Uni Grad
    2014
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,405
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?


  22. #72
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    435
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flop21 View Post
    This isn't something to argue about. Don't act like a know-it-all and imply I'm wrong when I'm not. Then maybe I would have continued to attempt to educate the person (I was happily and showing her the facts in a friendly way).

    This was never an argument. The girl is so blinded by her own stupidity and stubbornness (how could she or her parents be wrong!!!? I know it's a tough one), she doesn't WANT to listen to people trying to educate her. Nor does she want to educate herself (it's not hard when you have the entire world's knowledge at your fingertips / internet). She thinks she knows better than the collective whole of scientists around the world.

    It's okay to debate things in science, but only if you know your shit. Are you a scientist who is on the cutting edge of research on the topic your talking about? Okay it's okay to start questioning such things. If not, you're just being arrogant and stupid.

    So nah. I'm not going to sit back after all that and make sure I don't hurt anyone's feelings. There are very little people in the world that I don't like, and these are the types of people I don't like. So sucked in if you're offended. It was intentional.
    What is wrong with you??? Me and my family? When did my family come into this?
    First of all, I've been listening to everything you've said and actively engaging but I don't have much substance in what you say. Instead of telling me why I am wrong, you just say I'm wrong. Explain it!!!! Far out.

    Sien, although he doesn't agree with me, explained what he believes and did it in a way that was not arrogant at all. Your arrogance is truly disgusting and you're completely making it seem like whatever you believe is correct. You are not open to discussion or open-minded at all.

    For the text in bold, that's a major appeal to authority. First of all, no, I don't know better than the collective scientists in the world, their so-called evidence just doesn't appear to be tangible evidence and is deductions. E.g. The fossils show evidence something was there but not the history behind it. And newsflash, scientists don't have to believe in evolution, I know many and have had many science teachers that don't but have to teach it as it is in the syllabus.

    I'm not saying evolution isn't true (it might be) but I don't think it should not be categorized as science, and there is a lot of faith behind evolution (and don't say that believing in God requires more faith, considering that's irrelevant). I believe that evolution is more a belief than science since it can't be proven unless you deduce. If I was to believe in evolution as 'science', there would have to be no missing links, otherwise I'm just having faith in what scientists think they're going to find in the future.

    Before you respond to this, I want you to think about what I have said, why you think it is wrong and what is right. It's not that your insults 'hurt my feelings', it's just the meaning of your substance, content and argument get lost behind your assumptions of me.

    As a note, I am talking about macroevolution. Microevolution is observable and is totally fine, but I don't think macroevolution and stellar evolution can be proven.

  23. #73
    Supreme Member Flop21's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2,859
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by boredofstudiesuser1 View Post
    What is wrong with you??? Me and my family? When did my family come into this?
    First of all, I've been listening to everything you've said and actively engaging but I don't have much substance in what you say. Instead of telling me why I am wrong, you just say I'm wrong. Explain it!!!! Far out.

    Sien, although he doesn't agree with me, explained what he believes and did it in a way that was not arrogant at all. Your arrogance is truly disgusting and you're completely making it seem like whatever you believe is correct. You are not open to discussion or open-minded at all.

    For the text in bold, that's a major appeal to authority. First of all, no, I don't know better than the collective scientists in the world, their so-called evidence just doesn't appear to be tangible evidence and is deductions. E.g. The fossils show evidence something was there but not the history behind it. And newsflash, scientists don't have to believe in evolution, I know many and have had many science teachers that don't but have to teach it as it is in the syllabus.

    I'm not saying evolution isn't true (it might be) but I don't think it should not be categorized as science, and there is a lot of faith behind evolution (and don't say that believing in God requires more faith, considering that's irrelevant). I believe that evolution is more a belief than science since it can't be proven unless you deduce. If I was to believe in evolution as 'science', there would have to be no missing links, otherwise I'm just having faith in what scientists think they're going to find in the future.

    Before you respond to this, I want you to think about what I have said, why you think it is wrong and what is right. It's not that your insults 'hurt my feelings', it's just the meaning of your substance, content and argument get lost behind your assumptions of me.

    As a note, I am talking about macroevolution. Microevolution is observable and is totally fine, but I don't think macroevolution and stellar evolution can be proven.
    If I'm a piece of macaroni, what are you?

    see my point???

    check mate
    2015 HSC: English Adv, Mathematics, Business Studies, Biology, Multimedia.

    HSC Biology Flashcards

  24. #74
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    435
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flop21 View Post
    If I'm a piece of macaroni, what are you?

    see my point???

    check mate
    No, sorry, I don't get your point...

  25. #75
    Supreme Member Flop21's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2,859
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by boredofstudiesuser1 View Post
    No, sorry, I don't get your point...
    i think you need to do some more research on pasta if you don't see my point

    adding cheese just solidifies my argument
    2015 HSC: English Adv, Mathematics, Business Studies, Biology, Multimedia.

    HSC Biology Flashcards

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •