Is there such a thing as Gender? (1 Viewer)

Bluee

HSC
Don't you guys agree Gender is more of a social contruct? Other thing I like to point I don't agree with how sites such as this one pressure you into selecting a gender when you sign up.

There is no gender. Yes there is sex (female, male, etc.) according to Biology but it's rediculous to think that one can "identify" as a single sex. We are all the same, the only differences between men and women are physical. All humans are incredibly different mentally, therefore they should not fit into two arbitrary groups like these one and neither are we physically tied to any one culture’s version of gender roles.

What are your thoughts?

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
Don't you guys agree Gender is more of a social contruct? Other thing I like to point I don't agree with how sites such as this one pressure you into selecting a gender when you sign up.

There is no gender. Yes there is sex (female, male, etc.) according to Biology but it's rediculous to think that one can "identify" as a single sex. We are all the same, the only differences between men and women are physical. All humans are incredibly different mentally, therefore they should not fit into two arbitrary groups like these one and neither are we physically tied to any one culture’s version of gender roles.

What are your thoughts?
I completely disagree. If gender is just a "social construct" then biologically why does our gender matter in terms of reproduction? Emotionally, females and males are very different. The exception to this is people who take hormones (and this is unnatural anyway).
In regards to the bold text, it's as if I said:
"Everyone's opinion is correct, as long as it agrees with society."
I mean, you're completely disproving the first part of the sentence. If we're different physically then we're definitely not the same.
Even if you think that is irrelevant, emotionally, males and females are very different. Just because a girl may act maybe more 'masculine', having been brought up with male siblings, she's still going to react to situations differently mentally. The fact that both genders are so different physically is not something that can be disregarded, it's one of the main reasons why the genders are so different. They don't both have the same physical restraints.

Also for anyone who believes in both evolution and the point that people can be born into the wrong body... I have a question:

If evolution is true (I don't believe so), how can a person be in the 'wrong' body? I mean, what defines what is right and wrong with evolution?

Last edited:

Bluee

HSC
I completely disagree. If gender is just a "social construct" then biologically why does our gender matter in terms of reproduction? Emotionally, females and males are very different. The exception to this is people who take hormones (and this is unnatural anyway).
I mean, you're completely disproving the first part of the sentence. If we're different physically then we're definitely not the same.
Even if you think that is irrelevant, emotionally, males and females are very different. Just because a girl may act maybe more 'masculine', having been brought up with male siblings, she's still going to react to situations differently mentally. The fact that both genders are so different physically is not something that can be disregarded, it's one of the main reasons why the genders are so different. They don't both have the same physical restraints.
Gender and Sex are different. This is what you are not getting.

Red_of_Head

HSC
Also for anyone who believes in both evolution and the point that people can be born into the wrong body... I have a question:

If evolution is true (I don't believe so), how can a person be in the 'wrong' body? I mean, what defines what is right and wrong with evolution?
What do you mean by this?

durrrrr

Banned
HSC
men and women's brains are wired differently

it would be kind of bizarre for humans and recent non-human ancestors to have lived for millions of years as two different sexes with often vastly different roles and in spite of this not experienced any different selection pressures whatsoever

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
and your reasoning behind that is? Gender theory, which your original reply hints at is highly controversial, and also lacks at this point at time, unlike say studies on sexual orientation, enough scientific grounding for its conclusions.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad

What are your thoughts?
firstly, even though I disagree, the definitions of terms can be easily confusing, and supposing I have got the position you are arguing from correct, they aren't even consistently used. You talk of sex being something that can be identified with (usually it is gender). But that is a technicality. I don't see much difference between sex and gender (I view them as two related sides of the coin in generality).

Male, female are genders, just though to add. Generally speaking just as there are only two sexes, it is expected the corresponding mental state of the brain (call it gender) would be likewise; so the idea of binary gender is perfectly sound in reasoning.

In most cases, people are of a single sex, genetically and biologically. The occurrence of intersex people is not a generality or a normality (what I mean is most people are not intersex), does not suppose the rest of the race, is "stupid" to identify with a particular sex, in fact it makes sense, and apart from the latest pushes for instance for organisations of that nature (as well as through programs such as Safe Schools), it is the generally accepted historically, scientifically and to some measure multi-culturally, as being normative and hence not ridiculous.

Don't you guys agree Gender is more of a social contruct?
Hardly, it is more so a mental construct that corresponds to the physical condition; if it is a construct at all.

Other thing I like to point I don't agree with how sites such as this one pressure you into selecting a gender when you sign up.
Clearly your choice on the left hand panel, indicates that there isn't a pressure to choose a particular gender.

There is no gender.
yes there is, unless your definition is completely different.

Yes there is sex (female, male, etc.) according to Biology but it's ridiculous (sic) to think that one can "identify" as a single sex.
Most people have very little issue with "identify" with the "sex" they are, genetically. Hardly a ridiculuous thing. I thought you distinguished between gender and sex anyway, and that your issue would be with the former.

We are all the same, the only differences between men and women are physical.
And mental which is related, but not the same to the physical.

All humans are incredibly different mentally, therefore they should not fit into two arbitrary groups like these one and neither are we physically tied to any one culture’s version of gender roles.
The genders of "male" and "female" are hardly arbitrary, in fact they are accepted generally, because of their relationship to the biological sex. again there are intersex people and all that, but it is hardly arbitrary.

Science itself (and even you aren't into science) classifies and names things based on phenomena, the characteristics of personality and mental state influenced by genetic and biological factors associated with "sex" (as in man/woman)

Gender roles are a separate issue of discussion and do vary for culture to culture, but these are not the same as gender itself.

Last edited:

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
What I'm not getting? You asked for my thoughts... and then say I'm not getting it...

Aren't all opinions correct? What's there to get!!! lol

Also, you say that we're all the same (except physically) and then in a different paragraph say that mentally we're all different...

And don't pull the context card, I read it all.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A

fk r u on about

Flop21

HSC
Males and females are obviously a bit different physically, including the brain. Like you said.

I'm not sure what you even mean though. Gender has always meant the state of being either male or female. You can't just make it mean something different.

Gender roles is a different thing entirely. And I agree that they're mostly just things society thinks up and we follow for some reason. We really don't need to follow them though, and sometimes they do more harm than good.

jjsphinx

HSC

Okay a few things:
A- evolution is true, it's observable fact.
Hey look! A two minute video where you can watch the evolution of bacteria to be resistant to antibiotics!: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=plVk4NVIUh8

B- men and women have different shaped and structured brains (obviously with massive variation though), this drives emotions, hormonal response, etc, transgender people (and this isn't the sjw 'I'm non-binary and transgender') have brain structure similar to those of the opposite sex, causing them to have the experience of the other sex whilst having the 'wriong' body. Due to this, they experience extreme gender dysphoria and the feeling that they are in the wrong body. Being Transgender is a diagnosable, scientifically supported phenomena which people who believe gender is a social construct are misusing.
One of the studies showing this: http://www.journalofpsychiatricresearch.com/article/S0022-3956(10)00325-0/abstract

C- what does evolution have to do with anything? How does that have any relivancy?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)