Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 117
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Is there such a thing as Gender?

  1. #1
    Cadet Bluee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    БЕОГРАД ❤
    Posts
    67
    Rep Power
    1

    Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Don't you guys agree Gender is more of a social contruct? Other thing I like to point I don't agree with how sites such as this one pressure you into selecting a gender when you sign up.

    There is no gender. Yes there is sex (female, male, etc.) according to Biology but it's rediculous to think that one can "identify" as a single sex. We are all the same, the only differences between men and women are physical. All humans are incredibly different mentally, therefore they should not fit into two arbitrary groups like these one and neither are we physically tied to any one culture’s version of gender roles.

    What are your thoughts?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    464
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluee View Post
    Don't you guys agree Gender is more of a social contruct? Other thing I like to point I don't agree with how sites such as this one pressure you into selecting a gender when you sign up.

    There is no gender. Yes there is sex (female, male, etc.) according to Biology but it's rediculous to think that one can "identify" as a single sex. We are all the same, the only differences between men and women are physical. All humans are incredibly different mentally, therefore they should not fit into two arbitrary groups like these one and neither are we physically tied to any one culture’s version of gender roles.

    What are your thoughts?
    I completely disagree. If gender is just a "social construct" then biologically why does our gender matter in terms of reproduction? Emotionally, females and males are very different. The exception to this is people who take hormones (and this is unnatural anyway).
    In regards to the bold text, it's as if I said:
    "Everyone's opinion is correct, as long as it agrees with society."
    I mean, you're completely disproving the first part of the sentence. If we're different physically then we're definitely not the same.
    Even if you think that is irrelevant, emotionally, males and females are very different. Just because a girl may act maybe more 'masculine', having been brought up with male siblings, she's still going to react to situations differently mentally. The fact that both genders are so different physically is not something that can be disregarded, it's one of the main reasons why the genders are so different. They don't both have the same physical restraints.

    Also for anyone who believes in both evolution and the point that people can be born into the wrong body... I have a question:

    If evolution is true (I don't believe so), how can a person be in the 'wrong' body? I mean, what defines what is right and wrong with evolution?
    Last edited by boredofstudiesuser1; 25 Sep 2016 at 2:14 AM.
    jenandeeb likes this.

  3. #3
    New Member xXx420xXx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    464
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by xXx420xXx View Post
    Yeah... Idk why he's surprised. He fits within one of them... he's clearly a guy...

  5. #5
    Cadet Bluee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    БЕОГРАД ❤
    Posts
    67
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by boredofstudiesuser1 View Post
    I completely disagree. If gender is just a "social construct" then biologically why does our gender matter in terms of reproduction? Emotionally, females and males are very different. The exception to this is people who take hormones (and this is unnatural anyway).
    In regards to the bold text, it's as if I said:
    "Everyone's opinion is correct, as long as it agrees with society."
    I mean, you're completely disproving the first part of the sentence. If we're different physically then we're definitely not the same.
    Even if you think that is irrelevant, emotionally, males and females are very different. Just because a girl may act maybe more 'masculine', having been brought up with male siblings, she's still going to react to situations differently mentally. The fact that both genders are so different physically is not something that can be disregarded, it's one of the main reasons why the genders are so different. They don't both have the same physical restraints.
    Gender and Sex are different. This is what you are not getting.

  6. #6
    Junior Member Red_of_Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    172
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by boredofstudiesuser1 View Post
    Also for anyone who believes in both evolution and the point that people can be born into the wrong body... I have a question:

    If evolution is true (I don't believe so), how can a person be in the 'wrong' body? I mean, what defines what is right and wrong with evolution?
    What do you mean by this?

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    dprk
    Posts
    135
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluee View Post
    but it's rediculous to think that one can "identify" as a single sex. We are all the same
    What are your thoughts?
    No.

  8. #8
    Cadet Bluee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    БЕОГРАД ❤
    Posts
    67
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by chiefpasco View Post
    No.
    Yes.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    HSC
    2004
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Macau
    Posts
    238
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    men and women's brains are wired differently

    it would be kind of bizarre for humans and recent non-human ancestors to have lived for millions of years as two different sexes with often vastly different roles and in spite of this not experienced any different selection pressures whatsoever
    Swaan likes this.

  10. #10
    ремове кебаб wannaspoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    HSC
    2007
    Uni Grad
    2014
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,406
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    RenegadeMx, jazz519 and OkDen like this.

  11. #11
    Taking a break! dan964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    HSC
    2014
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    South of here
    Posts
    2,747
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluee View Post
    Gender and Sex are different. This is what you are not getting.
    and your reasoning behind that is? Gender theory, which your original reply hints at is highly controversial, and also lacks at this point at time, unlike say studies on sexual orientation, enough scientific grounding for its conclusions.

  12. #12
    Taking a break! dan964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    HSC
    2014
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    South of here
    Posts
    2,747
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluee View Post
    Don't you guys agree Gender is more of a social contruct? Other thing I like to point I don't agree with how sites such as this one pressure you into selecting a gender when you sign up.

    There is no gender. Yes there is sex (female, male, etc.) according to Biology but it's rediculous to think that one can "identify" as a single sex. We are all the same, the only differences between men and women are physical. All humans are incredibly different mentally, therefore they should not fit into two arbitrary groups like these one and neither are we physically tied to any one culture’s version of gender roles.

    What are your thoughts?
    firstly, even though I disagree, the definitions of terms can be easily confusing, and supposing I have got the position you are arguing from correct, they aren't even consistently used. You talk of sex being something that can be identified with (usually it is gender). But that is a technicality. I don't see much difference between sex and gender (I view them as two related sides of the coin in generality).

    Male, female are genders, just though to add. Generally speaking just as there are only two sexes, it is expected the corresponding mental state of the brain (call it gender) would be likewise; so the idea of binary gender is perfectly sound in reasoning.

    In most cases, people are of a single sex, genetically and biologically. The occurrence of intersex people is not a generality or a normality (what I mean is most people are not intersex), does not suppose the rest of the race, is "stupid" to identify with a particular sex, in fact it makes sense, and apart from the latest pushes for instance for organisations of that nature (as well as through programs such as Safe Schools), it is the generally accepted historically, scientifically and to some measure multi-culturally, as being normative and hence not ridiculous.

    Don't you guys agree Gender is more of a social contruct?
    Hardly, it is more so a mental construct that corresponds to the physical condition; if it is a construct at all.

    Other thing I like to point I don't agree with how sites such as this one pressure you into selecting a gender when you sign up.
    Clearly your choice on the left hand panel, indicates that there isn't a pressure to choose a particular gender.

    There is no gender.
    yes there is, unless your definition is completely different.

    Yes there is sex (female, male, etc.) according to Biology but it's ridiculous (sic) to think that one can "identify" as a single sex.
    Most people have very little issue with "identify" with the "sex" they are, genetically. Hardly a ridiculuous thing. I thought you distinguished between gender and sex anyway, and that your issue would be with the former.

    We are all the same, the only differences between men and women are physical.
    And mental which is related, but not the same to the physical.

    All humans are incredibly different mentally, therefore they should not fit into two arbitrary groups like these one and neither are we physically tied to any one culture’s version of gender roles.
    The genders of "male" and "female" are hardly arbitrary, in fact they are accepted generally, because of their relationship to the biological sex. again there are intersex people and all that, but it is hardly arbitrary.

    Science itself (and even you aren't into science) classifies and names things based on phenomena, the characteristics of personality and mental state influenced by genetic and biological factors associated with "sex" (as in man/woman)

    Gender roles are a separate issue of discussion and do vary for culture to culture, but these are not the same as gender itself.
    Last edited by dan964; 25 Sep 2016 at 5:34 PM.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    464
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluee View Post
    Gender and Sex are different. This is what you are not getting.
    What I'm not getting? You asked for my thoughts... and then say I'm not getting it...

    Aren't all opinions correct? What's there to get!!! lol

    Also, you say that we're all the same (except physically) and then in a different paragraph say that mentally we're all different...

    And don't pull the context card, I read it all.

  14. #14
    I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    My bathtub
    Posts
    7,227
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by boredofstudiesuser1 View Post
    I completely disagree. If gender is just a "social construct" then biologically why does our gender matter in terms of reproduction? Emotionally, females and males are very different. The exception to this is people who take hormones (and this is unnatural anyway).
    In regards to the bold text, it's as if I said:
    "Everyone's opinion is correct, as long as it agrees with society."
    I mean, you're completely disproving the first part of the sentence. If we're different physically then we're definitely not the same.
    Even if you think that is irrelevant, emotionally, males and females are very different. Just because a girl may act maybe more 'masculine', having been brought up with male siblings, she's still going to react to situations differently mentally. The fact that both genders are so different physically is not something that can be disregarded, it's one of the main reasons why the genders are so different. They don't both have the same physical restraints.

    Also for anyone who believes in both evolution and the point that people can be born into the wrong body... I have a question:

    If evolution is true (I don't believe so), how can a person be in the 'wrong' body? I mean, what defines what is right and wrong with evolution?
    fk r u on about

  15. #15
    Junior Member Silky_Smooth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    126
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Why is this even an issue lol
    Sien and KingOfActing like this.

  16. #16
    Supreme Member Flop21's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2,865
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Males and females are obviously a bit different physically, including the brain. Like you said.

    I'm not sure what you even mean though. Gender has always meant the state of being either male or female. You can't just make it mean something different.

    Gender roles is a different thing entirely. And I agree that they're mostly just things society thinks up and we follow for some reason. We really don't need to follow them though, and sometimes they do more harm than good.
    2015 HSC: English Adv, Mathematics, Business Studies, Biology, Multimedia.

    HSC Biology Flashcards

  17. #17
    Cadet
    Join Date
    May 2016
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    82
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    isn't sex and gender the same thing?

  18. #18
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by boredofstudiesuser1 View Post
    Also for anyone who believes in both evolution and the point that people can be born into the wrong body... I have a question:

    If evolution is true (I don't believe so), how can a person be in the 'wrong' body? I mean, what defines what is right and wrong with evolution?
    Okay a few things:
    A- evolution is true, it's observable fact.
    Hey look! A two minute video where you can watch the evolution of bacteria to be resistant to antibiotics!: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=plVk4NVIUh8

    B- men and women have different shaped and structured brains (obviously with massive variation though), this drives emotions, hormonal response, etc, transgender people (and this isn't the sjw 'I'm non-binary and transgender') have brain structure similar to those of the opposite sex, causing them to have the experience of the other sex whilst having the 'wriong' body. Due to this, they experience extreme gender dysphoria and the feeling that they are in the wrong body. Being Transgender is a diagnosable, scientifically supported phenomena which people who believe gender is a social construct are misusing.
    One of the studies showing this: http://www.journalofpsychiatricresea...325-0/abstract

    C- what does evolution have to do with anything? How does that have any relivancy?

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    HSC
    2004
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Macau
    Posts
    238
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    gender roles have their basis in biology

  20. #20
    Vexed?
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Antartica
    Posts
    277
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    It's just a classification, like positive and negative.

  21. #21
    Supreme Member Flop21's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2,865
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by durrrrr View Post
    gender roles have their basis in biology
    And? What are you trying to say with this?
    2015 HSC: English Adv, Mathematics, Business Studies, Biology, Multimedia.

    HSC Biology Flashcards

  22. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    464
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by jjsphinx View Post
    Okay a few things:
    A- evolution is true, it's observable fact.
    Hey look! A two minute video where you can watch the evolution of bacteria to be resistant to antibiotics!: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=plVk4NVIUh8

    B- men and women have different shaped and structured brains (obviously with massive variation though), this drives emotions, hormonal response, etc, transgender people (and this isn't the sjw 'I'm non-binary and transgender') have brain structure similar to those of the opposite sex, causing them to have the experience of the other sex whilst having the 'wriong' body. Due to this, they experience extreme gender dysphoria and the feeling that they are in the wrong body. Being Transgender is a diagnosable, scientifically supported phenomena which people who believe gender is a social construct are misusing.
    One of the studies showing this: http://www.journalofpsychiatricresea...325-0/abstract

    C- what does evolution have to do with anything? How does that have any relivancy?
    A - That's not evolution, it's adaptation (not the same thing)
    B - You can't even prove this. The differences in the brain could be linked to something else...
    C - If part B were to be true, how does evolution make this happen?

  23. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    HSC
    2004
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Macau
    Posts
    238
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flop21 View Post
    And? What are you trying to say with this?
    post a pic bb

  24. #24
    I'm your density Kittyrules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    535
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluee View Post
    Don't you guys agree Gender is more of a social contruct? Other thing I like to point I don't agree with how sites such as this one pressure you into selecting a gender when you sign up.

    There is no gender. Yes there is sex (female, male, etc.) according to Biology but it's rediculous to think that one can "identify" as a single sex. We are all the same, the only differences between men and women are physical. All humans are incredibly different mentally, therefore they should not fit into two arbitrary groups like these one and neither are we physically tied to any one culture’s version of gender roles.

    What are your thoughts?
    i get what you're saying and often have discussions about it with friends that often lead us in circles and end up nowhere. I do not wish to cause offence if I do, I'm not the most eloquent. i hope what i write makes some sort of sense

    gender often gets very muddled with gender roles because they are both ingrained in one another. Even the words 'male' and 'female' connote a particular type of person of personality, while gender roles would not exist without gender in the first place.

    some people argue that 'there is no gender' because although people's sex has differences, gender is what you identify as and what you make of it. i.e you can be more of a 'feminine male' and but it still means you identify as male. You can still do whatever you want and not adhere to gender roles, and therefore gender is essentially a personal choice - non-existent in society. I often want to think there is no gender, or that there are no differences in gender (not gender roles), however... the existence of transgender people often nullifies this argument completely.

    Maybe its because I personally feel comfortable in my gender, but I cannot personally understand how transgender or gender dysphoric people feel. But the simple facts and statistics show that transgender people do face incredible issues being the wrong gender and that for many, transitioning is key to mental health. Thus, it is obvious that there is some thing that is so important to people that makes them need to transition... something that feels so wrong. Some people are luckily born in the correct gender, others are not.

    if there is no gender, why are there so many people who struggle through life everyday being the wrong gender?
    HSC '16: English 4U - Maths 3U - German 3U - IPT (95)
    ATAR GOAL: move to germany (or 99.9)
    K2 Studios: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKg5vAcZOnw 4U ENGLISH FILM DONE!

  25. #25
    Senior Member KingOfActing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    979
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    I sexually Identify as an Attack Helicopter. Ever since I was a boy I dreamed of soaring over the oilfields dropping hot sticky loads on disgusting foreigners. People say to me that a person being a helicopter is Impossible and I’m fucking retarded but I don’t care, I’m beautiful. I’m having a plastic surgeon install rotary blades, 30 mm cannons and AMG-114 Hellfire missiles on my body. From now on I want you guys to call me “Apache” and respect my right to kill from above and kill needlessly. If you can’t accept me you’re a heliphobe and need to check your vehicle privilege. Thank you for being so understanding.
    2015 HSC
    Mathematics 2U
    2016 HSC
    Advanced English, Drama, Maths 3U, Maths 4U, Music 2, Extension Music, Chemistry, Software Design & Development
    Currently studying
    Advanced Mathematics (Hons)/Computer Science @ UNSW (2017– )

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •