Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 324
Like Tree125Likes

Thread: Same Sex Marriage Debate

  1. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    374
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Same Sex Marriage Debate

    I think the vast majority of people, including me, expect Yes tp prevail. Australia is extremely open. I just think the yes campaign has been incredibly stupid and that will make the margin smaller than it otherwise would have been. They have been nothing but aggressive. It is an ISSUE that is up for debate by a lot of people's standards. You can't say "This is how it is and anyone who even has a slightly different opinion is a bigot *triggered*"

    They could have done a better job. Also things like asking for the GP who did the No campaign tp be struck out. wtf?
    Medicine at UoN

  2. #27
    Senior Member sida1049's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    599
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Same Sex Marriage Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by pikachu975 View Post
    If yes happens because of "rights" then people will soon be arguing that 70 year old men loving 5 year old girls should be a "right" too
    It's valid to argue that two consenting adults have rights to a romantic relationship and hence a legally binding relationship such as marriage. The 70 year-old men with 5 year-old girls analogy breaks because the 5 year-old can't consent to the relationship (legally or rationally).
    Last edited by sida1049; 15 Sep 2017 at 11:49 PM.

    Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics)/Bachelor of Arts III, USYD

  3. #28
    Moderator enoilgam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    HSC
    2010
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    Mare Crisium
    Posts
    11,863
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Same Sex Marriage Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by RishBonjour99 View Post
    You can't say "This is how it is and anyone who even has a slightly different opinion is a bigot *triggered*"

    They could have done a better job. Also things like asking for the GP who did the No campaign tp be struck out. wtf?
    It really has been a terrible campaign - the narrative needs to be more focused and positive.
    Moderator: Modern History, Legal Studies, Studies of Religion (SOR), Commerce/Business and The University of Notre Dame Australia

    Essay Guides:
    - Modern History
    - Legal Studies
    -
    Ex-HSC Student (2010) ****
    Advanced English l Maths 2U l Economics l Legal Studies l Modern History l Studies of Religion I

  4. #29
    Kosovo is Serbian RenegadeMx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    HSC
    2013
    Uni Grad
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,290
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Same Sex Marriage Debate

    its sad when the unis send an email to defend the yes but wont do the same for no
    Squar3root and CoolioMoolio like this.



    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    other bos-ers have a penis pic sharing club and i'm debating whether i want in on it or not


    ~just so i belong~
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    who cares about your timetable - you should be going into uni every day to study and do whatever regardless

  5. #30
    Administrator Trebla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    HSC
    2006
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,052
    Rep Power
    20

    Re: Same Sex Marriage Debate

    Something that hasn't been mentioned...if 'No' wins then I reckon it will be over for Turnbull's political career because he's already pissed off so many people LGBTI people and their associated supporters already by doing this through a plebiscite - so a 'Yes' victory will be somewhat of a consolation.

    However, if 'No' wins then he will be embarrassed, likely to get rolled by the conservatives and all those LGBTI supporters will switch to Labor (who are pledging to do a Parliamentary vote). Not to mention he will be remembered in history as the PM who fucked up bringing in same sex marriage.
    Mosski likes this.

  6. #31
    the head cheese cosmo 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    crossing those hills
    Posts
    234
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Same Sex Marriage Debate

    i have decided to make my voice heard


  7. #32
    The pessimistic optimist. BLIT2014's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    HSC
    2014
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    9,466
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Same Sex Marriage Debate

    Marriage equality will come to Australia eventually.

    Still, think both 'yes' and the 'no' sides really need to work on their advertising as the majority is not persuasive at all!
    I can barely see up and down and back again
    Despite what you believe I keep away from trouble
    If who I am today's a sign of where I'm going
    I'm ready to embrace


    Got 1-2 minutes ? Please do my survey :P https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8ZPYZSD
    Moderator of Macquarie University

  8. #33
    listening to tapes Squar3root's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    HSC
    2017
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    welcome to ur tape
    Posts
    4,776
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Same Sex Marriage Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by cosmo 2 View Post
    i have decided to make my voice heard

    Can u circle the box for the lols
    Free MX1 Notes: http://tinyurl.com/freeMX1notes
    B Engineering (I have no idea anymore) @UNSW IV

  9. #34
    listening to tapes Squar3root's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    HSC
    2017
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    welcome to ur tape
    Posts
    4,776
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Same Sex Marriage Debate

    selling 1x same sex marriage vote
    Free MX1 Notes: http://tinyurl.com/freeMX1notes
    B Engineering (I have no idea anymore) @UNSW IV

  10. #35
    Junior Member spaghettii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    118
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Same Sex Marriage Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by OkDen View Post
    I think Freedom of Speech IS being able to say whatever and whenever.
    Freedoms either apply to all or to none, if neither then ironically enough freedoms become discriminatory.
    Australia does not have any laws explicitly giving citizens the right to free speech. Whilst the constitution does contain implied political free speech, this only goes to the extent that the government cannot arrest you for stating a political opinion. This does not mean that Australians can simply say what they want without fear of punishment or censorship, whether it be by law enforcement or the public. This is why we have legislation such as the Racial Discrimination Act - it protects certain groups from defamation. As summarised by this:

    "However, this is the extent to which the implied freedom of political speech provides protection. It does not protect from an acquaintance shutting you down in conversation, a forum administrator deleting your comments, or an event organiser denying you a platform to speak due to your subject matter. Even if your statements concerned political matters, you are not being rejected due to a law restricting your speech, so your implied right of political speech is inapplicable. You can say what you want, but others are under no obligation to listen or give you a platform.

    The Australian government cannot legislate to restrict your freedom of political speech, but you cannot use "freedom of political speech" as a defence." (Source: https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/09/a...dom-of-speech/)

    That being said, arguments by the No campaign involving a "restriction of free speech" as a result of SSM are redundant
    HSC 2018: Advanced English, 2U Math, Legal Studies, Society and Culture, Visual Arts

    HSC Goal: Band 6 in everything

  11. #36
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    26
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Same Sex Marriage Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeMx View Post
    its sad when the unis send an email to defend the yes but wont do the same for no
    going to uni next year probs, are there lots of these sorts of biased political campaigns? :S

    Feel like yes will win, but I hope that the slippery slope argument is just a fallacy.
    そうだいよね

  12. #37
    the head cheese cosmo 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    crossing those hills
    Posts
    234
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Same Sex Marriage Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Squar3root View Post
    selling 1x same sex marriage vote
    i sold mine to both yes and no supporters so i doubled my money
    Queenroot and Squar3root like this.

  13. #38
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    West
    Posts
    83
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Same Sex Marriage Debate

    I would vote no if i was eligible.

    Society is evolving and social taboos of the past are slowly fading. 30 odd years ago, homosexuality, pedophilia (Islam?), beastiality, gender dysphoria would have been considered crimes against nature and mental illnesses (which they are). Today however, these are perfectly acceptable with even young children being indoctrinated in the education system, rather than being taught to read and write.

    My greatest fear is that in time, like how homosexuals and transexuals have been welcomed as healthy members of society today, the other taboos i have previously listed will be part of the social standard tomorrow. A man should be allowed to marry a horse or a child, because at the end of the day "it's just love between two individuals that doesn't affect me in anyway, so i shouldn't care too much".
    Squar3root and CoolioMoolio like this.
    HSC 2017: General Maths (92) | Standard English (88) | Biology (90) | Business Studies (91) | Modern History (81) | SOR 1 (46)
    ATAR: 92.95

  14. #39
    Supreme Member Flop21's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2,864
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Same Sex Marriage Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Microsoft Word View Post
    I would vote no if i was eligible.

    Society is evolving and social taboos of the past are slowly fading. 30 odd years ago, homosexuality, pedophilia (Islam?), beastiality, gender dysphoria would have been considered crimes against nature and mental illnesses (which they are). Today however, these are perfectly acceptable with even young children being indoctrinated in the education system, rather than being taught to read and write.

    My greatest fear is that in time, like how homosexuals and transexuals have been welcomed as healthy members of society today, the other taboos i have previously listed will be part of the social standard tomorrow. A man should be allowed to marry a horse or a child, because at the end of the day "it's just love between two individuals that doesn't affect me in anyway, so i shouldn't care too much".
    How does 2 consenting adults getting married = a child / animal getting married?
    Anthel, 30june2016 and Mosski like this.
    2015 HSC: English Adv, Mathematics, Business Studies, Biology, Multimedia.

    HSC Biology Flashcards

  15. #40
    listening to tapes Squar3root's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    HSC
    2017
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    welcome to ur tape
    Posts
    4,776
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Same Sex Marriage Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Microsoft Word View Post
    I would vote no if i was eligible.

    Society is evolving and social taboos of the past are slowly fading. 30 odd years ago, homosexuality, pedophilia (Islam?), beastiality, gender dysphoria would have been considered crimes against nature and mental illnesses (which they are). Today however, these are perfectly acceptable with even young children being indoctrinated in the education system, rather than being taught to read and write.

    My greatest fear is that in time, like how homosexuals and transexuals have been welcomed as healthy members of society today, the other taboos i have previously listed will be part of the social standard tomorrow. A man should be allowed to marry a horse or a child, because at the end of the day "it's just love between two individuals that doesn't affect me in anyway, so i shouldn't care too much".
    that is a good point there but like for 2 "things" to get married they need to provide consent and the horse/child can't do that?
    sida1049 likes this.
    Free MX1 Notes: http://tinyurl.com/freeMX1notes
    B Engineering (I have no idea anymore) @UNSW IV

  16. #41
    the head cheese cosmo 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    crossing those hills
    Posts
    234
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Same Sex Marriage Debate

    genetically modified fast-evolved sapient animal ppl

  17. #42
    Junior Member spaghettii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    118
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Same Sex Marriage Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Microsoft Word View Post
    I would vote no if i was eligible.

    Society is evolving and social taboos of the past are slowly fading. 30 odd years ago, homosexuality, pedophilia (Islam?), beastiality, gender dysphoria would have been considered crimes against nature and mental illnesses (which they are). Today however, these are perfectly acceptable with even young children being indoctrinated in the education system, rather than being taught to read and write.

    My greatest fear is that in time, like how homosexuals and transexuals have been welcomed as healthy members of society today, the other taboos i have previously listed will be part of the social standard tomorrow. A man should be allowed to marry a horse or a child, because at the end of the day "it's just love between two individuals that doesn't affect me in anyway, so i shouldn't care too much".
    I know two other people have already said the same thing, but there is a big difference between two consenting adults getting married and a child or animal getting married, since neither can legally or physically provide consent. I do understand your point though with taboos becoming accepted, especially with furries and shit becoming more common. Nevertheless, I don't think there is need to worry about pedophilia or bestiality becoming the norm, since only those who are into that shit actually support it.

    On a separate note, whilst I support SSM, I'd be suprised if the Yes vote wins. We may have a lot of support for it in Aus society, but the plebiscite becoming postal in my opinion has just ruined the chances of Yes winning.

    Edit: About kids being indoctrinated in the education system, schools are about more than just reading and writing. Social values and norms are taught there too, hence why some schools are beginning to include education on various sexual identities. It's the education system's job to promote conformity in children, especially since many parents nowadays are neglecting to teach their children basic manners. Whether or not that conformity is appropriate or not is up to the individual. That isn't to say schools are forcing children to adopt a sexuality that isn't theirs, but simply to be informed and perhaps accepting of such diversity
    Last edited by spaghettii; 16 Sep 2017 at 5:01 PM.
    HSC 2018: Advanced English, 2U Math, Legal Studies, Society and Culture, Visual Arts

    HSC Goal: Band 6 in everything

  18. #43
    Junior Member Jaxxnuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    213
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Same Sex Marriage Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Microsoft Word View Post
    I would vote no if i was eligible.

    Society is evolving and social taboos of the past are slowly fading. 30 odd years ago, homosexuality, pedophilia (Islam?), beastiality, gender dysphoria would have been considered crimes against nature and mental illnesses (which they are). Today however, these are perfectly acceptable with even young children being indoctrinated in the education system, rather than being taught to read and write.

    My greatest fear is that in time, like how homosexuals and transexuals have been welcomed as healthy members of society today, the other taboos i have previously listed will be part of the social standard tomorrow. A man should be allowed to marry a horse or a child, because at the end of the day "it's just love between two individuals that doesn't affect me in anyway, so i shouldn't care too much".
    you know there are "homosexual animals" as well https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homose...ior_in_animals

    Two men (or women) getting married is completely different from a man marrying a dog as they are obviously both humans and of the same species (wheras a dog is obviously a different species")

    An adult marrying a child is just wrong due to the massive age difference.

  19. #44
    Senior Member sida1049's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    599
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Same Sex Marriage Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Microsoft Word View Post
    30 odd years ago, homosexuality, pedophilia (Islam?), beastiality, gender dysphoria would have been considered crimes against nature and mental illnesses (which they are). Today however, these are perfectly acceptable with even young children being indoctrinated in the education system, rather than being taught to read and write.
    How can you commit a crime against nature? You can't commit a crime against nature. It's always a perceived transgression against some kind of established social norms, religious principles, ethics or law, which society dictates. Your slippery slope argument doesn't work, for the same reason Squar3root mentioned.

    Also your other argument goes both ways: you can argue that the implementation of sex education and possibly safe schools are indoctrinating children to accept homosexuality and non-binary genders as thing that exist and that individuals can accept. But your argument can be flipped around, for example, I can claim that the current system is indoctrinating children to further entrench the views held by previous generations.
    Anthel likes this.

    Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics)/Bachelor of Arts III, USYD

  20. #45
    Moderator enoilgam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    HSC
    2010
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    Mare Crisium
    Posts
    11,863
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Same Sex Marriage Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by sida1049 View Post
    H

    Also your other argument goes both ways: you can argue that the implementation of sex education and possibly safe schools are indoctrinating children to accept homosexuality and non-binary genders as thing that exist and that individuals can accept. But your argument can be flipped around, for example, I can claim that the current system is indoctrinating children to further entrench the views held by previous generations.
    Im no fan of Safe Schools (it's a good idea, but poorly executed), but man it is so hypocritical of the churches to be arguing that it indoctrinates kids when they have been teaching Christian programs in public schools for years. Id consider that to be a worse form of indoctrination, because that deals with belief, not facts (the former in my view has no place in public institutions).

    Then again, if 15+ years of Catholic Education taught me anything, it's that when it comes to hypocrisy, churches hold a monopoly.
    sida1049 and Anthel like this.
    Moderator: Modern History, Legal Studies, Studies of Religion (SOR), Commerce/Business and The University of Notre Dame Australia

    Essay Guides:
    - Modern History
    - Legal Studies
    -
    Ex-HSC Student (2010) ****
    Advanced English l Maths 2U l Economics l Legal Studies l Modern History l Studies of Religion I

  21. #46
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    West
    Posts
    83
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Same Sex Marriage Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Squar3root View Post
    that is a good point there but like for 2 "things" to get married they need to provide consent and the horse/child can't do that?
    what i was trying to allude to is similar to the arguments that eating plants is bad because they can feel pain or homosexuality is natural and not a choice or pedophilia is acceptable considering my Prophet did it a millennium ago. In the end as society moves forward, different excuses can be made to support a certain lifestyle. Someone down the line will find evidence of consent in animals and children.

    A no vote to ssm should act as a stalwart to prevent these instances from becoming widespread.
    Last edited by Microsoft Word; 16 Sep 2017 at 5:34 PM.
    HSC 2017: General Maths (92) | Standard English (88) | Biology (90) | Business Studies (91) | Modern History (81) | SOR 1 (46)
    ATAR: 92.95

  22. #47
    I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    My bathtub
    Posts
    7,266
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Same Sex Marriage Debate

    tbh it's actually getting really annoying to see this shit plastered everywhere

    online, irl etc.

    I can't browse my damn newsfeed for funny memes because there's a fuc ton of shitty articles

    vote what u want and get over it

  23. #48
    I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    My bathtub
    Posts
    7,266
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Same Sex Marriage Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Microsoft Word View Post
    what i was trying to allude to is similar to the arguments that eating plants is bad because they can feel pain or a homosexuality is natural and not a choice or pedophilia is acceptable considering my Prophet did it a millennium ago. In the end as society moves forward, different excuses can be made to support a certain lifestyle. Someone down the line will find evidence of consent in animals and children.

    A no vote to ssm should act as a stalwart to prevent these instances from becoming widespread.
    if it happens it happens

    but I doubt it will happen

    the world changes life goes on

  24. #49
    Senior Member sida1049's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    599
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Same Sex Marriage Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Microsoft Word View Post
    what i was trying to allude to is similar to the arguments that eating plants is bad because they can feel pain or homosexuality is natural and not a choice or pedophilia is acceptable considering my Prophet did it a millennium ago. In the end as society moves forward, different excuses can be made to support a certain lifestyle. Someone down the line will find evidence of consent in animals and children.

    A no vote to ssm should act as a stalwart to prevent these instances from becoming widespread.
    Oh boy.

    Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics)/Bachelor of Arts III, USYD

  25. #50
    I love trials pikachu975's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    2,046
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Same Sex Marriage Debate

    https://au.news.yahoo.com/qld/a/3700...violent-clash/

    Definitely making a good image for the 'yes' vote
    Offering tutoring for Biology, Maths, Maths Ext 1, and Maths Ext 2.

    Solar Education - CHEAP Quality Tutoring

    Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    2016 HSC (Accelerated): // 2U Maths (97) // SOR 1 (48) //
    2017 HSC: // English Adv (91) // Bio (96) // Phys (95) // 3U Maths (99) // 4U Maths (97) //
    ATAR: 99.75

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •