Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 324
Like Tree125Likes

Thread: Same Sex Marriage Debate

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    1

    Same Sex Marriage Debate

    Serious debate on same sex marriage.

    QUESTION : Should same sex marriage be legalised in Australia? If so, why? If it shouldn't, why not? and what effect would it have on Australia?

  2. #2
    listening to tapes Squar3root's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    HSC
    2017
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    welcome to ur tape
    Posts
    4,776
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Same Sex Marriage Debate

    yes, but I'm voting no

    Im not going to have these gay cunts bully me into voting yes
    Free MX1 Notes: http://tinyurl.com/freeMX1notes
    B Engineering (I have no idea anymore) @UNSW IV

  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Same Sex Marriage Debate

    LMAOOOOOOOOO, kickback lol

  4. #4
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Same Sex Marriage Debate

    Does anyone have a serious argument to write?

  5. #5
    Cadet red152's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    HSC
    2019
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    42
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Same Sex Marriage Debate

    Same-sex marriage should be legalised. It is already legal in various countries including: Argentina, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, Denmark, Finland, France, Iceland, Ireland, Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, the United Kingdom, the United States and Uruguay (according to Wikepedia.com). The religions and beliefs that constitute all the religions in Australia are expanding, and people are drifting away from traditional Christian ideals where same-sex marriage is opposed. People are caring less and becoming more accepting of same-sex couples than previously, and I think Australia should follow suit and legalise same-sex marriage. Some people seem to think that it is going to have severe social ramifications on society, but in actuality most people will be influenced very little. In Australia, there are already same-sex couples, and when/if they get married, it's not going to have much impact on anyone's life.
    Mosski likes this.
    Preliminary HSC (2018)
    English (Advanced) | Studies of Religion 1 | Legal Studies | Mathematics (Accelerated) | Chemistry | Physics

  6. #6
    the head cheese cosmo 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    crossing those hills
    Posts
    234
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Same Sex Marriage Debate

    im not even registered to vote

  7. #7
    Junior Member spaghettii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    119
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Same Sex Marriage Debate

    Yes, same sex marriage should be legalised in Australia. As previously stated, many countries have already legalised it -we are lagging behind in terms of such human rights. This shouldn't be a matter of religion, as our government is meant to be keeping religion and state separate - this is a state issue, not a religious one. If it were, we wouldn't be having atheists getting married. Similarly, I think it is quite ridiculous that politicians such as Tony Abbott are using "religious freedom" and "free speech" as an argument against same sex marriage, because
    1) Legalisation of same sex marriage will not even affect you unless you yourself are planning on entering a same sex marriage. If a family member is gay and wants to get married to their partner and you have a problem with it simply because they are gay, then tough luck. You shouldn't stop people from being happy together - their life, their problem
    2) Freedom of speech isn't being able to say what you want, when you want. Freedom of speech is being able to express an opinion without being arrested - if you have valid reasons against same sex marriage, fine. But saying shit like "all homos are fucked they're all going straight to hell" is just hateful
    I can't vote (obviously), let alone put together a good argument lmao, but that's just my two cents on the issue
    HSC 2018: Advanced English, 2U Math, Legal Studies, Society and Culture, Visual Arts

    HSC Goal: Band 6 in everything

  8. #8
    Junior Member OkDen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    49°51′S 128°34′W
    Posts
    104
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Same Sex Marriage Debate

    Yea, why the hell not.

    Also

    Quote Originally Posted by spaghettii View Post
    Freedom of speech isn't being able to say what you want, when you want. Freedom of speech is being able to express an opinion without being arrested
    I think Freedom of Speech IS being able to say whatever and whenever.
    Freedoms either apply to all or to none, if neither then ironically enough freedoms become discriminatory.
    HSC 2018
    MX1 - BIO - CHE - PHY - ADV

  9. #9
    listening to tapes Squar3root's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    HSC
    2017
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    welcome to ur tape
    Posts
    4,776
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Same Sex Marriage Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by lorddoan007 View Post
    Does anyone have a serious argument to write?
    There really isnt any argume aside from tradition and religious tbh
    Free MX1 Notes: http://tinyurl.com/freeMX1notes
    B Engineering (I have no idea anymore) @UNSW IV

  10. #10
    Moderator enoilgam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    HSC
    2010
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    Mare Crisium
    Posts
    11,863
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Same Sex Marriage Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by RishBonjour99 View Post
    People on the left don't understand the word "debate".

    This is literally why trump won. Because of leftist thugs. Wouldn't be surprised if another surprise happens.
    Im fully expecting the no vote to prevail - ultimately, a plebiscite (and especially a postal plebiscite) is the only chance the no vote has of winning. If anyone thinks the Yes vote is a strong favorite, they need to get their head examined.

    Ultimately, Im a strong supporter of SSM. Id consider myself to be largely a centrist with a lean leftward (Ive voted Liberal and Labour), but to me the SSM issue is an easier one. I have yet to see a good argument against SSM that goes beyond a shallow appeal to tradition. I think the whole religious freedom thing is a crock - what about the freedom of LGBT people? Last I checked, religion was a BELIEF and a CHOICE, being LGBT isnt. Dont get me wrong, Im all for freedom of religion, but I am a big supporter of freedom FROM religion for the large part of the population who are either athiest/agnostic or dont rate religion as being important to them. Freedom of religion means able to practice your beliefs as you please, it does not mean you have the right to impose your beliefs on others or have others lose their own freedoms to appease your beliefs.

    All that being said, the Yes campaign predictably is playing this all wrong. They need to forget about attacking people and run a positive campaign because that is what will win over the centre. A good example of this is the fiasco over the Vote No ad. Yes, the ad is an outrage and thinnly veiled biogtry but at the end of the day, the kind of people who will fall for that nonsense will never vote yes anyway. So I would just issue a strong statement saying the ad is false and move on. They need to craft a narrative where love is the focus. In this day and age, most people have a loved one who is LGBT, they need to shift our focus on voting yes for the people we love in our lives who are LGBT. As I said before, Im a centrist and Im also straight. The main reason I feel strongly about this is because I have a few friends who are LGBT and I want SSM for them. That's the narrative that will work. Forget the bigotry game, you arent going to win them over so ignore them.
    Moderator: Modern History, Legal Studies, Studies of Religion (SOR), Commerce/Business and The University of Notre Dame Australia

    Essay Guides:
    - Modern History
    - Legal Studies
    -
    Ex-HSC Student (2010) ****
    Advanced English l Maths 2U l Economics l Legal Studies l Modern History l Studies of Religion I

  11. #11
    the head cheese cosmo 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    crossing those hills
    Posts
    234
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Same Sex Marriage Debate

    polling showed high chances of yes winning amongst those 'certain' to vote, no prob isnt going to win lol and people need to stop citing brexit and trump as examples of how no can win bc theyre not analogous at all

  12. #12
    I love trials pikachu975's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    2,047
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Same Sex Marriage Debate

    If yes happens because of "rights" then people will soon be arguing that 70 year old men loving 5 year old girls should be a "right" too
    Offering tutoring for Biology, Maths, Maths Ext 1, and Maths Ext 2.

    Solar Education - CHEAP Quality Tutoring

    Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    2016 HSC (Accelerated): // 2U Maths (97) // SOR 1 (48) //
    2017 HSC: // English Adv (91) // Bio (96) // Phys (95) // 3U Maths (99) // 4U Maths (97) //
    ATAR: 99.75

  13. #13
    the head cheese cosmo 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    crossing those hills
    Posts
    234
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Same Sex Marriage Debate

    i doubt that bc it raises the issue of consent

    there may be a new discourse some day on the legal recognition of polygamous relationships though, which is nearly as bad

  14. #14
    Moderator enoilgam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    HSC
    2010
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    Mare Crisium
    Posts
    11,863
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Same Sex Marriage Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by cosmo 2 View Post
    polling showed high chances of yes winning amongst those 'certain' to vote, no prob isnt going to win lol and people need to stop citing brexit and trump as examples of how no can win bc theyre not analogous at all
    Polling showed Trump was almost certain to lose. He won largely because of silent support. I think it would be wrong to ignore the silent support against gay marriage. The Yes campaign would be wise to capitalise on this fear of a Trump/Brexit moment to solidify their support.

    Quote Originally Posted by pikachu975 View Post
    If yes happens because of "rights" then people will soon be arguing that 70 year old men loving 5 year old girls should be a "right" too
    Well, it cant because the 70 year old's rights would infringe upon and unduly burden those of the 5 year old. Regardless, I would argue that with the appropriate protections, the right of LGBT people to marry wouldnt infringe upon the right to religious freedom. If the law covers churches from performing marriages and a conscience clause for business, I dont see the issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by cosmo 2 View Post

    there may be a new discourse some day on the legal recognition of polygamous relationships though, which is nearly as bad
    I disagree, polygamous marriages create a more significant issues with the law especially around divorce, property rights, wills etc. Those issues dont exist with SSM couples.
    Moderator: Modern History, Legal Studies, Studies of Religion (SOR), Commerce/Business and The University of Notre Dame Australia

    Essay Guides:
    - Modern History
    - Legal Studies
    -
    Ex-HSC Student (2010) ****
    Advanced English l Maths 2U l Economics l Legal Studies l Modern History l Studies of Religion I

  15. #15
    Executive Member sinophile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,421
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Same Sex Marriage Debate

    I think same sex marriage should be allowed in the civil sense, as a civil union, just not in a religious sense, as defined by whatever church or religion there is. If you're gay you can have your legally recognised marriage, but its not going to be recognised by the catholic church because you're not playing by the church's rules.
    enoilgam and SammyT123 like this.

    Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

  16. #16
    Moderator enoilgam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    HSC
    2010
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    Mare Crisium
    Posts
    11,863
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Same Sex Marriage Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by sinophile View Post
    I think same sex marriage should be allowed in the civil sense, as a civil union, just not in a religious sense, as defined by whatever church or religion there is. If you're gay you can have your legally recognised marriage, but its not going to be recognised by the catholic church because you're not playing by the church's rules.
    I agree with this - it should be legalised from a civil standpoint, but religions should be free to decide upon whether they will allow SSM for themselves. This already happens within the Catholic Church, as divorced couples are unable to remarry in the church.
    Anthel and red152 like this.
    Moderator: Modern History, Legal Studies, Studies of Religion (SOR), Commerce/Business and The University of Notre Dame Australia

    Essay Guides:
    - Modern History
    - Legal Studies
    -
    Ex-HSC Student (2010) ****
    Advanced English l Maths 2U l Economics l Legal Studies l Modern History l Studies of Religion I

  17. #17
    the head cheese cosmo 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    crossing those hills
    Posts
    234
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Same Sex Marriage Debate

    Polling showed Trump was almost certain to lose. He won largely because of silent support.
    and those polls in a sense were correct - clinton enormously won the popular vote but marginally lost in a few key electorates that carried trump to victory. the degree to which the polls reflected the actual electoral reality was not far from the truth - its just they incorrectly predicted the outcomes of a few states, probably mostly due to underpolling and the thinness of the margins.

    brexit was always about half and half and could have gone both ways

    if no ends up winning it will be due to turn out suppression due to laziness/indifference but given polling and the degree to which so many young people seem to be fucking obsessed with this shit it doesnt seem as likely to me
    Last edited by cosmo 2; 15 Sep 2017 at 9:44 PM.

  18. #18
    Moderator enoilgam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    HSC
    2010
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    Mare Crisium
    Posts
    11,863
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Same Sex Marriage Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by cosmo 2 View Post
    and those polls in a sense were correct - clinton enormously won the popular vote but marginally lost in a few key electorates that carried trump to victory. the degree to which the polls reflected the actual electoral reality was not far from the truth - its just they incorrectly predicted the outcomes of a few states, probably mostly due to underpolling and the thinness of the margins.

    brexit was always about half and half and could have gone both ways
    Nonetheless, my point still stands regarding how to use the fear. If Im the Yes campaign, Id be ensuring the media publishes every poll indicating a win for No. Turnout is crucial and there is nothing like the specter of defeat to encourage people to vote. The Yes vote needs young people to turnout and generally speaking in other countries, turnout is usually poorest amongst this demographic.
    Moderator: Modern History, Legal Studies, Studies of Religion (SOR), Commerce/Business and The University of Notre Dame Australia

    Essay Guides:
    - Modern History
    - Legal Studies
    -
    Ex-HSC Student (2010) ****
    Advanced English l Maths 2U l Economics l Legal Studies l Modern History l Studies of Religion I

  19. #19
    the head cheese cosmo 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    crossing those hills
    Posts
    234
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Same Sex Marriage Debate

    yeah this time though i think a lot of young people really are going to come thru bc they really are obsessed with this shit. heaps of them.

  20. #20
    Cadet Dream-Big's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    HSC
    2013
    Uni Grad
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Carlingford
    Posts
    97
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Same Sex Marriage Debate

    I am voting "Yes" because I have lots of gay friends that really changed the way how I look at my life. Before, I had very little friends, but then I joined many clubs, including the Queer Collective Group at UTS 2 years ago, I'm still very friends with them today. Infact, we just played pool with each other after class about 2 hours and 15 minutes ago.

    Edit: I'm not gay, I like women, incase you're wondering
    Last edited by Dream-Big; 15 Sep 2017 at 10:04 PM.
    Bachelor of Engineering (Mechancial Engineering) (Honours Class 2, Divsion 2) @ UTS

  21. #21
    Moderator enoilgam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    HSC
    2010
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    Mare Crisium
    Posts
    11,863
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Same Sex Marriage Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by cosmo 2 View Post
    if no ends up winning it will be due to turn out suppression due to laziness/indifference but given polling and the degree to which so many young people seem to be fucking obsessed with this shit it doesnt seem as likely to me
    Beyond that, I think a no victory really will only delay things by a couple of years. SSM to me is inevitable.
    Moderator: Modern History, Legal Studies, Studies of Religion (SOR), Commerce/Business and The University of Notre Dame Australia

    Essay Guides:
    - Modern History
    - Legal Studies
    -
    Ex-HSC Student (2010) ****
    Advanced English l Maths 2U l Economics l Legal Studies l Modern History l Studies of Religion I

  22. #22
    Junior Member Jaxxnuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    213
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Same Sex Marriage Debate

    If u think about it, a majority of Australians will vote "yes" for same sex marriage as Australia is very supportive of same sex couples. We're not like the past where people would hate gays, discriminate them, etc and tbh back then homophobia was extreme in that sense. Compare it to now

    I think even ads like these aren't strong enough to encourage people to vote no to SSM



    I think that being homosexual isn't defined by choice but rather something scientific in which something 'unusual' occurred in birth

  23. #23
    Beast Zoinked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    451
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Same Sex Marriage Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Squar3root View Post
    yes, but I'm voting no

    Im not going to have these gay cunts bully me into voting yes
    LMao

    2016 ATAR: >90
    2017-2020: Bachelor of Applied Finance/Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting) @ Mq Uni

  24. #24
    listening to tapes Squar3root's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    HSC
    2017
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    welcome to ur tape
    Posts
    4,776
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Same Sex Marriage Debate

    taking SSM bets
    SammyT123 likes this.
    Free MX1 Notes: http://tinyurl.com/freeMX1notes
    B Engineering (I have no idea anymore) @UNSW IV

  25. #25
    the head cheese cosmo 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    crossing those hills
    Posts
    234
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Same Sex Marriage Debate

    will legit throw in $10 for yes winning

    can paypal

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •