HSC student allegedly caught livestreaming exam on Facebook (1 Viewer)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
"An HSC student is under investigation after he was allegedly caught livestreaming an exam on Facebook.

The student, who is understood to attend a western Sydney private school, allegedly filmed the Information Processes and Technology exam from inside the exam room last Tuesday and uploaded the footage to Facebook in real-time

A Facebook post on Thursday said that he was contacted by the NSW Education Standards Authority, which runs the HSC exams, more than a week after the alleged incident.

The email to the student details the alleged incident and gives him the chance to make a statement.

"NESA has received information that a student witnessed a live stream of you during the 2017 HSC Information Processes and Technology exam," states the email, sent by a senior project officer in NESA's student support services branch.

"We are currently investigating the matter and would like to offer you the opportunity to make a statement in regards to this matter.

"Should you wish to make a statement, please complete the attached form and email it back to me as soon as possible.

"Should you choose to not make a statement, the matter will proceed without it."

SHARE ON FACEBOOK
SHARE ON TWITTER
LINK

http://www.smh.com.au/national/educ...reaming-exam-on-facebook-20171103-gze5xb.html
Part of the email NESA sent to the student.
Part of the email NESA sent to the student. Photo: Supplied
A teacher also appears to have brought the incident to NESA's attention on social media shortly after the exam finished, with a tweet saying "hey NESA - FYI there's a student live-streaming their IPT exam right now on Facebook".

A spokesman for NESA said: "It would be inappropriate to comment on any case currently before the Examination Rules Committee."

The spokesman said the exam has not been impacted by the incident and no students will be required to resit it.

The livestream has been deleted from Facebook.

The principal at the student's school said that the school was contacted by NESA about the incident on Friday.

"[The] school is very disappointed [about] the possibility that one of our students might have been involved in this incident," the principal said.

The student has been contacted for comment.

Using an electronic device during exams can result in the student getting zero marks for the exam or losing their HSC, according to NESA rules and procedures.

All HSC exams are supervised by staff employed and trained by NESA, and there are 7500 supervisors working across NSW this year.

Current teachers, volunteers, tutoring students or anyone with a child or near relative sitting the HSC cannot supervise exams at their own or their relative's school.

The Information Processes and Technology exam was held on October 24 at 1.55pm across the state. About 2748 students are enrolled in the course.

The use of technology during HSC exams is a growing concern for NESA, with mobile phones, smart watches and tablets at the top of its list of items banned from exam rooms.

Similar incidences of students taking photos or video of exam papers and posting them on social media from inside the exam room occurred during last year's exams, according to NESA.

There were 14 serious breaches of exam rules, such as using an electronic device or notes during an exam last year.

In total, more than 600 students across the state were found to have cheated during an exam or plagiarised an assessment in 2016, NESA reported.

There are 117 written HSC exams being held across NSW in October and November this year, and about 78,000 students are enrolled in at least one HSC course.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/educ...reaming-exam-on-facebook-20171103-gze5xb.html

highshill

HSC
Even though the student did not do right to film the IPT paper, I really wish they don't fail him/her, I hope there is a happy ending to this matter. A win-win situation for all. :)

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Even though the student did not do right to film the IPT paper, I really wish they don't fail him/her, I hope there is a happy ending to this matter. A win-win situation for all. :)
Not to be a savage, but honestly they could have used that electronic device for searching on google since Facebook uses internet anyway and it has comments so someone might have typed answers> Also, since it's made pretty clear at start of every exam that if caught you are screwed so I have no sympathy for them

Last edited:

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
If they were dumb enough to livestream a HSC exam I doubt they would've got much past 0/100 anyway

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)