Post election thoughts (1 Viewer)

somborac

HSC
i wanted labor to win. more uni places and less uni fees. with howard now the class of 04 has less chance to get into uni.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
liberals hopefully wont win a majority in the senate.
I'm glad to find out an actual result, it seems to me that the media has been against howard for the past few elections (excluding fairfax).

PenelopeK

S Healer
HSC
from all the previous polls latham looked as though he had it in the bag. it must be even worse to have lost by such a great deal.... too bad...

*chuckles

Generator

HSC
N/A
Quite frankly, the country is stuffed. I can live with a Liberal Government if necessary (they almost control the Lower House without the Nationals as it is), but a Senate controlled by the Coalition and their socially conservative allies... I can see nothing in terms of progressive moderation of the new Government's policies. It's a sad day for the country.

But, as I said to a mate, at least I should be relatively immune to any of this for some time. That doesn't mean much for those who may find that they have been duped, though.

Here comes Howard (ABC telecast amongst other meanings)...

Last edited:

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Im glad about the Liberal Government gaining power. But I would have still liked to see a balance of power maintained by the Greens or possible Democrats.

lengstar

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I'm fairly sure family first WONT win their seat i heard, it's kinda unlikely.
god save us if they do? :p

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
Oh yay cheering brainwashed liberal supporters (on ABC)...

i'm glad howards still in... he has more brains and tact than latham.. but he does live in a past era. A more steady era perhaps... steadier than latham could ever have provided, but stagnant in any gains for the individual. The individual has never been Howards strong point sadly enough and after all this time with him, the individual needs the most help.

"to the service of the australian people" << my arse howard you only serve who you want. :(

Generator

HSC
N/A
I cannot believe that people still do not see the promise in Latham, not to mention the Labor party as a whole :rolleyes:.

Edit: The individual is Howard's strength, eviltama.

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
i think its his downfall rather than his strength. i see him as more of a group person, rather than a person who takes notice of the individual.

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
Despite our defeat, Latham has become a seasoned leader and will lead us to victory in three years time. The Liberals won this election on a negative campaign, there was no retaliation to Latham's education and health policies.

They won only by scaring the Australian people regarding interest rates. There was not a single advertisement that explained to Australians the benefit of the Liberal party's policies, just an endless barrage of Latham's economic credentials. Which of course is fair, but it is a sad thing indeed to see John Howard re-elected thanks to a campaign based solely on fear. If anyone watched the Glasshouse last night, Dave Hughes summed up the message of the Liberal campaign very well-

"Vote for me, because if you don't, interest rates will go up on your house, and then terrorists will bomb your house"

Despite all that, both leaders delivered great speeches. Latham's almost brought me to tears and Howard's, while not driving me to the Liberal ranks, it did make me thankful for our Australian democracy.

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
same here. as long as the libs don't get a majority in the senate, otherwise they would be able to pass whatever legislation they want.

wonder how long it'll take for costello to start making his move?

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
now we start into the promise breaking time... joyousness. That and a good helping of burnings at the stake.

veanz

hath no fury
HSC
N/A
for the moment, im somewhat glad latham is the labor leader - an opposition, whom to a greater extent than beazely or crean, personally forced me to reassess what i believed, growing up in a liberal voting family..

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
promises are meant to be broken... the liberals know that as well as labor does. the people know that. *sigh* all egalitarian reforms are as of now put on hold. :(

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
Loosing is never easy....if it does get easy then you are not passionate (quoted from that dude on ABC). Words cannot express how dissapointed I am. Just wait a few more years guys- I have subbmitted my application for young Labor. Looks like i am gonna have to do it. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)