libs and the senate... (1 Viewer)

ohne

HSC
Asquithian said:
as was suggested in the media this week...its party labors fault for preferencing to family first in victoria
true....it is quite amusing how things have turned out for labor in victoria.

labor did a deal with several of the smaller conservative parties in victoria to protect their third senator (jacinta collins) from losing her seat to the greens.

basically now the ALP vote has fallen so low that the ALP will not be in contention for the final senate spot and their preferences will then fall to family first which means they should get a senator elected despite only polling 13% of the quota because they pick up preferences from pretty much everywhere

at this stage it looks like queensland will elect 4 coalition senators giving the coalition 39 out of the 75 seats in the senate so it shouldn't be an absolutely crucial blow for labor but having another non left wing candiate will definantly help the coalition

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Bone577 said:
It is already practically a rubber stamp.
Already practically a rubber stamp? If you haven't noticed, the government hasn't had a mjority in the Senate for ages.

Generator

HSC
N/A
He was talking with reference to the then current count, not past Senate terms.

Bone577

HSC
N/A
Generator said:
Indeed.

Bloody 10 char limit.

HSC
the best part about the coalition having an increased majority in the senate is that if bush wins again (as i fear he probably will), then he will pretty much be able to do whatever he likes here.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Generator said:
Sorry, I interpreted it differently.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
mcdickpants 2.5 said:
the best part about the coalition having an increased majority in the senate is that if bush wins again (as i fear he probably will), then he will pretty much be able to do whatever he likes here.
You guys need to calm down...
Why get so extreme? lol

malkin86

HSC
The GG has to give final approval - but then he's appointed by the PM, isn't he?

a little lost

relationships pfft
sigh.... its offical the coalition have control of the senate :( going to be an interesting 3 yrs. Hope that they don't become too reckless

walrusbear

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
You guys need to calm down...
Why get so extreme? lol
so we should sit down and think it means nothing?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
The greens lost it for them, there is alot of room for the left in australia, however the greens took much of this vote....and the sorta... anti-howardness that was going around , people felt that HOWARD was the under-dog, no one seemed to be willing to put up a voice and say... 'but the economies going well, howard hasn't done that bad.... but THIS is our slightly better alternative'.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
walrusbear said:
so we should sit down and think it means nothing?
No.. it is important, i believe in a fair democracy as much as you guys, and i wish they didn't have a senate majority...

However, claims that they will reshape the senate?.. think about it guys, I think it was this kind of negative additude that might have gotten the libs elected in the first place..

Ziff

HSC
N/A
I wonder if the Nationals will grow a backbone? :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)