Liberals keep the rates down! (1 Viewer)

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
Oh but I trusted Howard. He said that he wouldn't let rates rise. The government DOES control interest rates doesn't it? Oh how annoying, when's the next election?

Bone577

HSC
N/A
leetom said:
Oh but I trusted Howard. He said that he wouldn't let rates rise. The government DOES control interest rates doesn't it? Oh how annoying, when's the next election?
Bleh, the fickle people will forget all about this by then. Remembr Tampa? Remember what an absolute lie that turned out to be? Now it is like nobody remembers.

santaslayer

HSC
RBA is autonomous...

Govt can, however, slightly influence it through fiscal can it not?

big_ticket

HSC
N/A
RBA in theory is meant to be totally autonomous, acting independently from the government, howeva this isn't the case. The RBA wont or rarely does go against anything the government says. The government is able to not slightly, but significantly influence the RBA through monetary policy and not fiscal policy.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
big_ticket said:
The government is able to not slightly, but significantly influence the RBA through monetary policy and not fiscal policy.
care to enlighten the rest of us as to how the government influences monetary policy?

i refer to this opinion piece by Ross Gittins, especially:

"In principle, the Howard Government's spending spree - in this year's budget and in the campaign - has been a factor that would add to demand, thereby adding to inflation pressure and the need to raise rates."
John Howard said:
"Speaking of which, that was one of the best parts of this election. I reckon that the whole interest rate thing really showed how heaps smart Australians are. 'Cause like, even though every economist in the country said that they wouldn't rise under the Loser Party, Aussies were smart enough to listen to me instead. That's 'cause Australians know I'm honest and reliable and stuff."
- http://johnhoward.blogspot.com/
the only way the gov can influence fiscal policy, increase/decrease inflation, prompting the RBA to change monetary policy. but to say Liberal government = low interest rates is just full of shit.

Last edited:

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
come on people wake up!!

If you guys think the government has ANY influence over interest rates, you are sadly mistaken.

Even if they have some or little influence over the RBA, ultimatley, the rise and fall of interest rates are controlled not even by Australians themselves. What is going on in East Asia and in the United States is far more likely to have an impact on our interest rates than our own economy.

Besides, a recession is on the forecast. In a way, its a good thing that Latham didn't win. It would have made John Howard look like he was right. This way, the economy can go in a slump and everyone will realise what a real liar and idiot he is.

/end of rant.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Bone577 said:
Bleh, the fickle people will forget all about this by then. Remembr Tampa? Remember what an absolute lie that turned out to be? Now it is like nobody remembers.
if we were to be in a recession, i don't think the Australian public would forget about it quite as easily as the Tampa....

trickpat23

leetom said:
Man it was fools like u who gave johnny another go at destroyin australia. is greed really the bottom line. oh and by the way the government has very very little effect on the interest rates. If u disagree let this little fact swarm around in ur head, another time the rates were%10+ was under a liberal government when little johnny was TEASURER.
Its not too late, write letter, johnny needs to go and we only got 3yrs to let every one relise the damage he's is doin. And we can also minimise the damage he is doin in this term. fight the power

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
ah you hardcore leftists are cool. Please note the serious sarcasm used in my original post. It was designed to higlight the sort of citizen who votes liberal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)