New Labour Leadership (1 Viewer)

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Given that 6 of labors front benchers have headed for the back benches, some of the best frontbenchers, a leadership stoush is brewing. What would be your frontbench of choice?

Mine would run something like:

Bob McMullen Treasury.
Kevin Rudd Foriegn Affairs, and deputy leader.
Kim Beazely Defence.
Craig Emerson Education.
Jenny Macklin to workplace relations.
Move Peter Garret to the frontbench, something like environment.
Bring Faulkner back, he was a strong senate leader, if not bring in Chris Evans.

Put Crean and Latham out to pasture.

Julia Gillard Leader.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Craig Emerson has a PhD in Economics and worked for the UN doing various economics related things. Why hasn't anyone canvased making him Shadow Treasurer? He seems qualified.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
McMullen also has strong credentials in the portfolio, but I would accept Emerson in Treasury.

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
thorrnydevil said:
I'd like to see Kevin Rudd in the ALP leadership.
In seriousness or just to confirm another coalition victory next time around?

While the labor frpnt bench has imploded rather dramatically, i doubt mark latham will be going anywhere. they have invested too much time and effort in him already, so either they find someone new very quickly who hasn't already had a go (julia gillard and kevin rudd are the only ones i can think of atm) and who might have a chance, or stick with him and work on building him up.

edit: kim beazley is probably going to be sorely missed, coming to think of it. he seemed to have a fairly good reputation as shadow defence, or did i miss something?

Last edited:

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Kevin Rudd will get the leadership eventually. He has alot of ambition for the top job, and he could go all the way.

AllanJ

Being a Strong Labor Supporter. I feel that a leadership change is not needed. It would hurt the party TOO much.

I think Latham has done a great job for Labor considering the amount of time his been in for!

I think we may have a better chance if we take better approach than this year.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
mervvyn said:
In seriousness or just to confirm another coalition victory next time around?

While the labor frpnt bench has imploded rather dramatically, i doubt mark latham will be going anywhere. they have invested too much time and effort in him already, so either they find someone new very quickly who hasn't already had a go (julia gillard and kevin rudd are the only ones i can think of atm) and who might have a chance, or stick with him and work on building him up.

edit: kim beazley is probably going to be sorely missed, coming to think of it. he seemed to have a fairly good reputation as shadow defence, or did i miss something?
In seriousness. If I wanted another guaranteed Coalition election I would have suggested Crean.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
I don't understand why we still have enormous problems in society with strong females...

I mean: Cherryl Kernot, Meg Lees, Natasha... ok they are all democrats but my point stands.

I mean, what? The only female prime minister we can have is going to be more of a man than Maggie Thatcher?

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
HSC
Ziff said:
I don't understand why we still have enormous problems in society with strong females...

I mean: Cherryl Kernot, Meg Lees, Natasha... ok they are all democrats but my point stands.

I mean, what? The only female prime minister we can have is going to be more of a man than Maggie Thatcher?
lol nice sig :)

i don't know if australians in general have a problem with female leaders... the fact that they are not prevalent in the major parties or major corps suggests that either there are not as many interested or something is holding them back/turning them off it. I spose we won't know until we have an election with a female leader of a major party involved... coalition being as it is, i would lay my odds on that being the labor party, but when?

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
I'd like to also see a female as the head of one of our major political parties. However I doubt it will happen to soon. I'd also like to see a female G-G or President(if we go republic).

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
HSC
Gough Whitlam said:
Latham will stay, he is doing fine :)
I would tend to agree with you that he is hanging on sufficiently... it's just that some people are wondering why Labor has lost ground in successive elections, and now the imploding frontbench could be a sort of no confidence vote in latham, plus he only won the leadership by one vote in the first place.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
mervvyn said:
yeah.... the poms and the kiwis can do it, yet we are strangely incapable. maybe once hillary clinton has her crack, then we'll be able safely follow the US' lead again. ;)
Hahaha...some black people in the States can't even vote...good luck getting a female, or black, person as President!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)