Arafat is sick (1 Viewer)

Comrade nathan

HSC
From Aljazeera .

Senior Palestinian leaders are said to have been summoned to the West Bank headquarters of Palestinian President Yasir Arafat amid increasing concern over the ageing leader's health.

Conflicting reports about the 75-year-old leader's health led to intense speculations on Wednesday.

But a senior Arafat-aide told Aljazeera that the Palestinian president was fine, but needed rest.

A team of Tunisian doctors were said to be attending to the ailing leader.

Security alert

Security forces meanwhile are said to have been put on high alert as confusion over Arafat's condition swept the West Bank and Gaza Strip.

The Palestinian authorities denied reports that Arafat had issued a decree naming a three-man committee, comprising Prime Minister Ahmad Quraya, former premier Mahmud Abbas and Palestine National Council speaker Salim al-Zaanoun.

There is no committee that has been formed, this is not true," said Arafat-aide Nabil Abu Rudeneh.

Questions over Arafat's health have increased fears of chaos in Palestinian territories because he has not named an obvious successor.

Israel said it would "permit" Arafat to seek treatment wherever he wished to.

But an Arafat aide said the Palestinian patriarch preferred treatment at his West Bank headquarters because he feared that if he left, Israel would not allow him to return.

An Arafat spokesman said medical teams from Egypt and Jordan were expected on Thursday.

"The president needs more time to rest because of exhaustion," he said.

Palestinian officials insist Arafat is recovering from a bout of "stomach flu".

Witnesses said Quraya and Abbas had gone into Arafat's headquarters.

Officials said the president's wife, Suha Arafat, was expected in Ram Allah from her Paris home on Thursday.

Arafat underwent a minor diagnostic procedure on Monday after complaining of stomach pains. Palestinian officials said then that an endoscopy found no serious ailment but the president remained weak.

Palestinian Foreign Minister Nabil Shaat said stomach cancer had been ruled out.

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/3872B678-A944-4B94-B062-DD92185234F4.htm

Ramadan has started so maybe this was triggered by lack of food. Either way if he does from my limited knowledge i would place bets no one could fit his place and the popular Hamas would over throw the PLO.

Comrade nathan

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
It is definately disturbing....
I'd rather he live.
I believe he is corrupt, i dont care either way if he dies. He does not have much supporter as before. More look to Hamas.

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
It is definately disturbing....
I'd rather he live.
same. allthough he is a dirty little sand terrorist (ive done my homework i can say that i reckon) he does well to keep the pakestinians in line... damm i hate that israeli likud government!!!

Rorix

HSC
Yeah it was obviously those damn JEWS that did this

UP WITH HITLER
UP WITH HAMAS
DOWN WITH ISRAEL

wait, having Arafat live is going to support Israel, since he's like the worst thing for the Palistinians

oh well
UP WITH HITLER

Bone577

HSC
N/A
TurboTom said:
same. allthough he is a dirty little sand terrorist (ive done my homework i can say that i reckon)
You reckoned wrongly.

Arafat and the PLO are incredibly moderate, they have a long standing policy of peace when they are given autonomy and the internationally recognised borders of 1967, along with the rights of Palestinians to return to their homes. I can't think of anyone being more moderate than that.
With his death you would expect to see more "radical" or "extremist" power shifts (note the quotations as there is nothing realy radical or extreme about most of these people).

Also I wouldn't mind hearing even one terrorist act he is responsible for.

Bone577

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
If arafat is moderate... than how can those people not be considered radical or extreme when they are so different?
I said he was "Incredibly moderate". As in he is incredibly reluctant to use force.

And "Those people" are not too far different from Arafat, the only real difference being they WILL use force.

Ultimately they for the most part share beliefs in the role of Palestine and Israel, and what would be needed for peace. In that sense, neither are extreme or radical, but Arafat is far more pacifistic.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
If we were all killed there would be peace.... still doesn't sound too nice.
What do you believe is needed for peace.... is what arial sharon is proposing a step in the right direction?

Bone577

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
If we were all killed there would be peace.... still doesn't sound too nice.
What do you believe is needed for peace.... is what arial sharon is proposing a step in the right direction?
There are some that believe nothing short of the dismantling of Israel can be accepted, the vast vast majority want 1) 1967 borders 2)autonomy 3)right to return home.

These are all fundemental rights of the Palestinians, and they are all being denied. Nothing Sharon or any "peace plan" points to any positive steps by Israel or the US. They all amount to US-Israeli rejectionism.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Arafat seems to be very moderate. The Israelis are extremely scared about him loosing power to a young, hot headed, left-wing Palestinian...this is why they are letting him leave the country, its obviously in their own interest.

Rorix

HSC
LOL @ this thread

so guys, how many offers of Palestinian statehood has Arafat rejected?

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
Rorix said:
Yeah it was obviously those damn JEWS that did this

UP WITH HITLER
UP WITH HAMAS
DOWN WITH ISRAEL

wait, having Arafat live is going to support Israel, since he's like the worst thing for the Palistinians

oh well
UP WITH HITLER
why up with hitler?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Rorix said:
LOL @ this thread

so guys, how many offers of Palestinian statehood has Arafat rejected?
Man you've got no clue! i'm just glad all of a sudden there seems to be heaps of people that download al gezeera off the internet which is the only unbias news source in the universe ( untill micheal moore gets his show ), so that they can remind us of how stupid we are for thinking arafat isn't the kindest, most living being in the universe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)