irrelevance of curriculum (1 Viewer)

stylesedu86

HSC
it has been my experience that much of the maths syllabus is somewhat irrelevant to everyday living.when i slam on my breaks in my car to avoid a head on,,,,,imm not going to say,,''thank god i kno parabolas and hyperbolas.''

Rorix

HSC
so, the only point of school is to prepare you for what happens when you are close to having a road accident?

Damn, I knew I should have taken 'How to pick up that hot chick you almost killed' instead of Physics.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Rorix said:
so, the only point of school is to prepare you for what happens when you are close to having a road accident?

Damn, I knew I should have taken 'How to pick up that hot chick you almost killed' instead of Physics.
Or the "50 points for the Granny with the bags lecteur"

Kleaver

HSC
Rorix said:
Ohhhhh that's what he was talking about when he said that nothing we have learnt in maths post 6th grade is ever going to be of any use to us.

Quit being such a small minded knob jockey.

Rorix

HSC
thorrnydevil said:
Or the "50 points for the Granny with the bags lecteur"

let me check my syllabus, I'm pretty sure there's some sort of 'KAMIKAZE' bonus for hitting multiple grannys.

Kleaver

HSC
While we're all saying that specific subjects are shit... I would just like to say that Ancient History is also very shit. I swapped over to it from hospitality (because that was shit) because it was pretty much the only thing there I could choose. Everything else was shit.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Kleaver said:
While we're all saying that specific subjects are shit... I would just like to say that Ancient History is also very shit. I swapped over to it from hospitality (because that was shit) because it was pretty much the only thing there I could choose. Everything else was shit.
Ancient History is good!

iamsickofyear12

HSC
You're only realising this now. Maths is completely irrelevant unless you are going to be a maths teacher, and thats the same with english. No one is ever going to use any of the shit learnt in english this year ever again. It's basically a huge waste of time.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
I did 2 unit, then I dropped to General, fuck it's a waste of time.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I never would of done general,
and i sucked too much to do 2 unit, seemed like an obvious decision... could u guys drop and just didn't feel like it?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
yes it's irrelevant but it's all part of giving your brain a work out and keeping it 'fit'. it shows you what you can do with numbers and some of it is better than you think, like circumference, or using x to find out what something will be in everyday life.

but when i was doing the hsc i thought it was the most pointless thing ever and really didn't see the point. now that i don't have to go through the stress it's all good.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
I never would of done general,
and i sucked too much to do 2 unit, seemed like an obvious decision... could u guys drop and just didn't feel like it?
I could have dropped it, but I needed to do maths just in case my first career choice fell through.

HSC
u learn analytical skills in english you may not realise it but its gonna be crucial in your uni studies wateva course you do...

i dont see the point of general maths but i do somehow see the point of some stuff i learnt in 2 unit....exponential growth and decay, time, velocity, acceleartion, displacement,

problem solving, you may or may not come accross a problem where maths can help you in your life, most definently if your become an electrician or a planner, you'll be using shit loads of geometry (which sucks)

malkin86

HSC
Really, that's funny.. cos I do general maths and in the prelim, we did an assignment mock tax return.. and my friend who did 4 U a coupla years ago never learned that and wants me to help her with her next tax return. I guess the reasoning there is that if you do 4 U, you'll end up earning enough money to pay someone else to do your tax return for you.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
hiphophorray123 said:
u learn analytical skills in english you may not realise it but its gonna be crucial in your uni studies wateva course you do...

i dont see the point of general maths but i do somehow see the point of some stuff i learnt in 2 unit....exponential growth and decay, time, velocity, acceleartion, displacement,

problem solving, you may or may not come accross a problem where maths can help you in your life, most definently if your become an electrician or a planner, you'll be using shit loads of geometry (which sucks)
The analytical skills I learnt in english I won't use in UNI. I am doing business/computing and I will use the skills I learnt this year in business, ipt and economics. Basically my other 2 subjects this year were a waste of time.

That 2 unit stuff you will never use again. General is much more relevant.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)