A-League launched! (1 Viewer)

superbird

HSC
AUSTRALIA'S new national soccer competition - the Hyundai A-League - will start in August next year and be broadcast by FOX SPORTS.

The eight participant clubs will be Adelaide United, Auckland Kingz, Queensland Lions, Central Coast Mariners from Gosford in NSW, Melbourne Victory, Newcastle United, Perth Glory and Sydney FC.

At a launch in Sydney today, it was announced all clubs would have 20-player rosters and a salary cap of $1.5 million.

The Australian Soccer Association was forecasting aggregate crowds in the first season of 1 million – an average of 10,000 per game – leading to a financial turnover of $50 million in the first year. The A-League will replace the now-defunct National Soccer League, which was wound up at the end of last season.

"Today is a red-letter day for Australian soccer," ASA chairman Frank Lowy told the launch at Darling Harbour.

"But please remember, it is only the start.

"We have greater ambitions for it, but we realise we need to take things one step at a time.

"We are only running on to the pitch today. We haven't even blown the whistle to start the game."

ASA chief executive John O'Neill said two matches a week from the new league would be broadcast live on FOX SPORTS.

But he said the A-League would start modestly with eight teams, with the prospects of others to be added around Australia and possibly Asia as the league grew.

"Our aim is to go mainstream. The million or so boys, girls, mums and dads who take to the park each weekend for fun or competition will be a prime audience for the Hyundai A-League," O'Neill said.

"People will come if the football is good, the venues are family-friendly and if they get more than just a sporting event.

"We have modest expectations of match attendance – we are not the English Premier League.

"In year one, we are hoping that our total spectator turnover will be around one million people.

"That's based on an average match crowd of 10,000 people plus spectators at the finals series."

Credit: foxsports.com.au

Love Soccer, Awesome for Australia, Hope it kicks off well ;)

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
YAY... hopefully john o'neil can turn oz soccer around. kinda funny with the salary cap! it suits the country, but think that in europe, 1.5 million doesn't get u a player :(
but there's still hope for us yet...
GERMANY 2006 :D

just a shame if u don't have fox :(

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Dougie said:
YAY... hopefully john o'neil can turn oz soccer around. kinda funny with the salary cap! it suits the country, but think that in europe, 1.5 million doesn't get u a player :(
but there's still hope for us yet...
GERMANY 2006 :D

just a shame if u don't have fox :(
Finally, a half decent Soccer League. $1.5 million seems a bit low however. One would think that to get the "big stars" they would have to pay the big bucks. We want to keep or players in the country, not run them out.

lengstar

HSC
Sydney FC? wtf? go Marconi Stallions!

superbird

HSC
lengstar said:
Sydney FC? wtf? go Marconi Stallions!
LOL i agree. shame they wont be part of the new league though. I think they will be apart of a new NSW Soccer League to be formed next year.

Generator

HSC
N/A
The NSL wasn't that bad (at times)... I guess that we will see what happens, as always.

moseley

i cant wait for the a-league to start i think it will really improve soccer in australia, the only problem is not it is not set to start until august of 2005.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Australian soccer is shit and always will be. Theres no point bothering with trying to improve it. The fact is that it is boring to watch. Very boring to watch. This is not Europe, so soccer can fuck off.

Monkey Butler

Pray For Mojo
HSC
1.5 million is $75000 per player, I wouldn't call that low (although definitely not enough to get the stars back here). But if they want to go and play in England, fuck em. They're just being greedy - $75000 is more than enough just for playing soccer.

mizz_smee

has a fetish 4 handcuffs
HSC
superbird said:
The eight participant clubs will be Adelaide United, Auckland Kingz, Queensland Lions, Central Coast Mariners from Gosford in NSW, Melbourne Victory, Newcastle United, Perth Glory and Sydney FC.
okay i am from the central coast and want to know
why were we the only club that had to have something saying where they are from

superbird

HSC
mizz_smee said:
okay i am from the central coast and want to know
why were we the only club that had to have something saying where they are from
LOL good point. maybe cos a few people probably dont know where the central coast is :p

Lorie

HSC
The league is designed to promote the future players in Australia, rather than trying to attract the BIG players. By focusing on the younger players then we will be able to develop talent for the olyroos and in in turn the socceroos. Trying to attract the big players back to the league is a bit pointless as they will be after bigger wages in a league that doesn't justify it. I think they also have a rule saying they need a certain amount of under 21's in each team as well, which is a good move.

It looks like a great plan, and hoepfully it will get this game in the right direction. The A-League name is good, similar to the leagues in Korea and Japan, which makes sense geography rather then trying to be like Europe. Bit worried about the no free to air on TV, but i'm guess SBS willl cover some of it, because that is the station that has stuck by soccer in this country for so long.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Monkey Butler said:
1.5 million is $75000 per player, I wouldn't call that low (although definitely not enough to get the stars back here). But if they want to go and play in England, fuck em. They're just being greedy - $75000 is more than enough just for playing soccer.

They are also professionals, so there is a need for larger pay packets in order to allow them some time to retrain after their playing career has ended... If you are offered more to play in another league and soccer is your life, then why would you not take the opportunity?

In the past you could be a champion, like Mori, as a part-timer, but that period ended long ago. I just hope that the younger players are able to keep their options open rather than be 'stuck' as a professional soccer/football player. That would be an issue that the public does not consider, though, so there is little point in discussing it.

Lorie

HSC
you've gotta start from the bottom. There is no point in paying players a huge wage in a league that has just began, this isn't like the UAE league. They need to slowly build up the staute of the league from the begining so that the game is controlled and able to be mointored. It's main aim being to develop the youth, rather then trying to get the big players back from overseas.

Generator

HSC
N/A
I know. I was merely making (or trying to make) the point that the players who leave for more money are being realistic rather than greedy.

Lorie

HSC
yeah true it's not just the money, although they can make 75K a week in Europe, but also the standard of soccer there is the best in the world, with so many opportunities.

Generator

HSC
N/A
I doubt that European football in general is that good, but I agree that there are far too many opportunities within the region to ignore. Also, why stay stuck in a single country when your 'trade' may well take you around the world?
The Australian league will work, eventually, but I'm not expecting much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)