Gay Marriage revived. (1 Viewer)

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A20471-2004Nov3.html

how is it that Australia has given full support to this change in marriage laws and so have 11 American states (now) but the one state that has legalised it (Massachusetts) has become the poster child for why we should do it?

It seems to me that we are fairly united on this issue, and that 'we' are essentially a socially conservative race when it comes to marriage, independent of the country that we live in.

i really wonder why it is this way.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
shit, not this thread again :(

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
i often wonder why people care so much as to oppose stuff like this

unless you are a homophobe, you shouldn't care what gay people do with their lives. why not let them get married?

Rorix

HSC
the gay marriage constitutional ban will never pass, I feel reasonably confident in saying

changing the constitution is just that hard

Ziff

HSC
N/A
As someone who is a great supporter of the right of attractive female lesbians to kiss and have sex in public all they want, I feel that I am most qualified to speak on this subject. If you are still not convinced, I would suggest that you take a long, hard, lengthy look at my avatar and reappraise your view.

Actually, I don't really care. I don't think that homosexuals should be allowed to marry because that is a traditional institution with long-held religious overtures. They can, however, have a civil union (I would say that heterosexuals too could do this) which would hold the same legal rights. It's simply a matter of terminology. Anyone who argues that by creating this separation it demeans the notion of a civil union isn't thinking straight. Marriage is intrinsically a relgious institution. Relgions aren't entirely fond of homosexuals. A lot of homosexuals and heterosexuals aren't fond of religions. It makes sense to allow people this choice, between religious and non-religious which wouldn't compromise the traditional ideals of a religious marriage ceremony.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
I still reackon the only solution that would work for all parties, is rename marriages to civil unions, and give it back to the churches.

Legally all would have a civil union if they want a church recognised marriage have it in a church.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I'm not christian or even believe in god at all but gay people should still not be allowed to get married. I don't care if they are gay in private, but I don't want to see it, and definately don't want it being recognised as a marrige or any type of union. Same sex relationships are wrong, its as simple as that. And don't bother arguing cause I don't care what you think unless you are agreeing with me.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Xayma said:
I still reackon the only solution that would work for all parties, is rename marriages to civil unions, and give it back to the churches.

Legally all would have a civil union if they want a church recognised marriage have it in a church.
agreed

i see you've read that "gays" thread where it seems both parties actually agreed and concluded.

rep for you anyway.

Rorix

HSC
What is the State's main concern?
In relation to the above question, what is the State's interest in support of heterosexual marriage?

Once you've answered those questions, you can see why the State has no interest in homosexual marriage.

Rorix

HSC
I was more getting at 'providing for the next generation', but anyway.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
From an economic standpoint wouldn't allowing homosexuals to marry be a good thing? Taking pressure off the welfare system amongst other things like a heterosexual marriage does?

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Asquithian said:
I will a bit right winged this morning...Homsexuality will never be maintstream or accepted as 'normal'...at least while my yr 12 christian school friend (Pacific hills christian school) feels that gays are 'fucking evil and should be killed' ...
That's a scary school. My sister goes there. A shit of a kid told his teacher that my sister was a lesbian (at 13, very likely) and then the next day we had a very concerned principal and teacher ringing us up. :rolleyes:

Rorix

HSC
Ziff said:
From an economic standpoint wouldn't allowing homosexuals to marry be a good thing? Taking pressure off the welfare system amongst other things like a heterosexual marriage does?
Aren't there a variety of tax breaks/monetary benefits to being married? I'm not up on the latest economic benefits to marriage.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Rorix said:
Aren't there a variety of tax breaks/monetary benefits to being married? I'm not up on the latest economic benefits to marriage.
Couples get paid less than two individual people in terms of Centrelink payments.

We don't have income splitting yet. Which means both members get taxed equally hence, it's not a burden on the tax system.

Family Tax Benefits only apply when you actually have children. Homosexuals can't procreate nor adopt. This makes them ineligible. Thus, they're not a burden here either.

Last edited:

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Really the only advantage is the lack of legal mess if one dies, proving that it was a defacto relationship etc same deal as hetrosexual defactos.

And pulling the plug on your loved one :p

Rorix

HSC
Ah, OK.

See, the argument goes like this.

The primary concern of the State is providing for the next generation. To this end, the State encourages marriages with childbirth e.g. family tax benefits. That is the State's interest in heterosexual marriage.

Homosexuals cant have children (at least without great difficulty), thus the State has no interest in homosexual marriage.

Now, before someone jumps in to reply 'WHAT ABOUT STERILE PEOPLE', it's a matter of probability.

We have a minimum age for drinking. Why? To encourage responsible drinking. But, you say, SOME PEOPLE OVER 18 DRINK IRRESPONSIBILY. Yes, that's true, but it's a matter of probability. People who are older will in general drink more responsibly than those who are younger, and we choose a nice round number that we can distinguish by.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
*if you are a feminist please dont read the following, I even made it so you dont have to, it is intended only as a joke so if you feel the need to kill me, please resist*
Rorix, neo_o who cares about the state. Here is the real reason teenagers should support homosexual marriage.

Traditionally the night of marriage is one of wild sex.

Now imagine the two in Ziff's avatar going at it on their wedding night, everything being ripped off and scattered across the bathroom... *wipes drool from mouth*

Purely imagining what would happen is worth the gay marriage

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)