Chrisitian morality? (1 Viewer)

frenchie

HSC
How did the christian-right in America manage to get such a strangle hold on the
'morality debate'?

The following bring out so-called "moral" Evangelicals:

anti-gay bigotry under the smoke screen of 'protecting marriage'
a desire to end freedom of reproductive choice

what about? -

trillion dollar deficit - debt to future generations
american blood on the soil of a foreign land
cutting taxes to the wealthy
disregard for the environment
war based on lies
policy of pre-emptive war
rising poverty rates - charity my ass
a campaign of fear - Cheney saying "mushroom cloud over one of our cities"

I detest the fact that the media frames these as the moral issues. So basically the people that voted for Kerry are wrong? They are immoral people? Please.

I find it so hard to believe that people put those first two issues ahead of all others... "Hmmm okay for four years I have been lied to, i don't have a job, my husband is fighting in Iraq, i got a measly-if nothing at all tax cut, we have the highest deficit in american history....but we can't let those queers marry!...i'll vote Dubya!"....

Sorry to sound like a whinging leftie.

Any thoughts? How can the left reclaim the word "moral" to mean tolerance, freedom, equality, respect for others.... :confused:

Anti-abuse shield activated - feel free to yell at me

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Are you eligible to vote in the USA. No, How would you feel about an American bitching about our election if Latham had won?

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
Xayma said:
Are you eligible to vote in the USA. No, How would you feel about an American bitching about our election if Latham had won?
that's a stupid argument and you know it

the US government has the capacity to effect nearly all other countries in the world through its actions.

if Australia was the sole superpower in the world people overseas probably would care who was leader.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Its more about, it is their decisions to decide who will lead their country. Much like it is ours. (S)He does not understand all the issues (s)he presented. Yes we should follow in interest but to bitch about it when they did nothign about it. I doubt they were campaiging to Americans to vote Kerry.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Xayma said:
What the hell are you talking about? You say as if Aus and US are equals. We're not. We're not in the political scheme of things. Australia is in the war, on America's side. The election has A LOT to do with us, so we can bitch (more like discuss) all we like!

frenchie

HSC
Please tell me what issue in particular I lack understanding about? The policies taken by the United States have ramifications for people in every part of the world , and last time I checked we lived in the same world. If our wonderful :mad: PM can praise George's win, then godammit I can say its a crock of shit.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
And the policies of Indonesia have a great impact on us as well, but that didn't get a mention. The policies of Timor-Leste have an impact. The policies of New Zealand have an impact.

How does americas internal affairs and their foreign debt affect the rest of the world in a negatie way?

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
Xayma said:
How does americas internal affairs and their foreign debt affect the rest of the world in a negatie way?
ok this has to be a joke

how about if the US economy goes into recession, so will many other economies who depend on it for trade and capital?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
YOu can't deny the fact that America holds the dominant hand in this world, talk about the discourses enforced here - They're Western, Traditional Christian. America's culture influences the hell out of Australia in many ways more than one: the media, the food we eat, the stuff we watch. You can't put Indonesia in the same political power stance as America. That's ridiculous.

HSC
Xayma said:
And the policies of Indonesia have a great impact on us as well, but that didn't get a mention. The policies of Timor-Leste have an impact. The policies of New Zealand have an impact.

well america is the major player in the global economy....

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Nick said:
ok this has to be a joke

how about if the US economy goes into recession, so will many other economies who depend on it for trade and capital?
damn nick, i'd rep you if it'd let me

frenchie

HSC
Xayma said:

To start, the focus of this post is the effect of the US, I agree that all those countries do play a part in our internal affairs to varying degrees. However, are you saying that NZ and the US are equal players? I think you have a problem with proportionality - the US is abit more powerful than NZ....just a tad....

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
haha honestly we are so whipped by the US..

ok.. the US has the largest nuclear + bio + chem arsenal in the world.. tells others to disarm..
its got the largest economy..
when it wanted a war it bypassed the UN..
(US.. UN.. very lil in spelling.. tho knoing bush he prolly thought he was the prez of the UN.. )
the US tells us we are goin to a war.. we go..
NZ trade links are not as extensive as the US.. if NZ had a Trade Embargo on Australia.. noone would notice.. we'd prolly declare war on their asses.. of 6 war planes?.. but i recalled aust has more

yer just a Tad bit..

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Yes yes America is significant, but Asia is becoming increasingly more important to us as well.

frederica

phat
HSC
frenchie said:
I think you have a problem with proportionality - the US is abit more powerful than NZ....just a tad....
Muhahaha you're a funny duffer. And so scornful!

Power to you brother, out with Bush I say.

xx Peace

HSC
Xayma said:

+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
haha honestly we are so whipped by the US..

ok.. the US has the largest nuclear + bio + chem arsenal in the world.. tells others to disarm..
its got the largest economy..
when it wanted a war it bypassed the UN..
(US.. UN.. very lil in spelling.. tho knoing bush he prolly thought he was the prez of the UN.. )
the US tells us we are goin to a war.. we go..
NZ trade links are not as extensive as the US.. if NZ had a Trade Embargo on Australia.. noone would notice.. we'd prolly declare war on their asses.. of 6 war planes?.. but i recalled aust has more

yer just a Tad bit..

GO LEFTIES

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
cherryblossom said:
Yes yes America is significant, but Asia is becoming increasingly more important to us as well.
well considering asia is the largest single land mass rather than a country.. yes yes it is..

but thank god they arent united under a single person.. thats far worse.. in Asia.. at least there are several ppl that all hate each other..

altho im interested to kno.. in wat way? i think politically.. it isnt, economicalli it is.. but its a fairly mutual thing..

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:

yer just a Tad bit..
True but the USA probably cares about the same much as we do of NZ. I just see it pointless arguing when it is really going to achieve nothing, but piss off a few Americans if they visit.

Declare war on NZ lol we are responsible for CAP's etc in the event of war.

Now all those who bitch about the UN not justifying the war in Iraq. The UN has asked for more Australian troops inside Iraq. The Australian Government has refused. Discuss with refrence to the quote "The war in Iraq is illegal and without UN backing therefore we should remove our troops".

Last edited:

Sophie777

Xayma said:
Its more about, it is their decisions to decide who will lead their country. Much like it is ours. (S)He does not understand all the issues (s)he presented. Yes we should follow in interest but to bitch about it when they did nothign about it. I doubt they were campaiging to Americans to vote Kerry.
You won't be saying this when we get bombed by Osama and his little gang for our 'involvement' because of Howard jumping in bed with Bush. Of course we have a right to bitch, the welfare of our nation and the entire world lies in the hands of a moron.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Sophie777 said:
You won't be saying this when we get bombed by Osama and his little gang for our 'involvement' because of Howard jumping in bed with Bush. Of course we have a right to bitch, the welfare of our nation and the entire world lies in the hands of a moron.
Actually I will. Any terroist attack will make me more supportive of Australia's involvement with Bush. If we are targeted than so be it, I view the action as necessary and will not change my opinion because a bunch of dirty extremists view me as a captalistic immoral pig.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)