A waste? (1 Viewer)

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
There is no sound reason to run down government debt to zero, especially considering that Australia has the LOWEST level of government debt at all levels of government of any OECD country.

It's ridiculous and its all politics (i.e.: Latham's policy to maintain budget surpluses despite the economic climate, which is in economic term laughable but also sounds rather good to the electorate.)

While I think the problem is due to general mismanagement as opposed to rising public sector wages, productivity based wage increases should see the usual improvement in services and a reduction in payouts.

oh btw, anyone could guess why Carr is so anxious to cede health to Canberra. ;)

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
The idea espoused by many politicians that the economy should be run much like a household budget - which should be in surplus not defecit - is a misrepresentation whose enaction is bad for the economy. Politicians who do it are either stupid or playing the elctorate for fools.

When a bill to force government to maintain a defecit went before the US congress the treasury fought against it for sound economic reasons.

As Keynes was first to piont out, the only way to get out of a depression/reccession is to spend your way out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)