We only want what is best for our children... (1 Viewer)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
And where is the fun of raising your child then?

How individualistic can he be, if he is 'perfect' and what IS 'perfect'

You could probably create a physically superior human, thus speeding up the evolution, or you could be destroying it, by creating a race of strong, where there is no 'weak'

Generator

HSC
N/A
Another question would be what is 'best' for the children and society at large...

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Exactly, i think this notion of 'perfection' will always be a notion, since we cannot really define it to match against every persons notion or perspective on what is 'best' or 'perfect' . Even societies would differ from location to location.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
In a sense I agree with him.

It is an all or nothing play.

Now comes the question:

What is worse for a child:

Knowing that they were only created because they had blue eyes as they were deemed attractive at the time and they wouldn't be here if they didn't.

OR

Knowing that chances are you will develop a deadly cancer, and your parents had a chance to stop it.

I personally think the first one is worse for the child. The second one the child must realise their genetic makeup partially influences their lives, they wouldn't be the same person if they didn't have that chromosone.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i don't think it's right. it'll cause huge problems. there won't be the diversity of today if everyone creates a smart, model, athletic child and those who don't do it will have children who are left behind.

K

katie_tully

It's going a little far.. It's showing that increasingly, people are viewing children as materialistic possessions.
I would have thought your own natural offspring was as perfect as you can get.
Medical technology should only play a part when it comes to improving over all quality of life. Making sure your child has blonde hair and blue eyes isnt necessarily going to make it a happy child.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
But then again they will play the quality of life card. It might be shown that blue eye people earn more and have a more succesful life for some reason.

Hence it would be improving their quality of life.

K

katie_tully

Blonde hair and blue eyes are recessive genes.
They're what we call "endangered species"...Which means in a few hundred years they will not exist...
Unless we create them...
But I dont see that as a reason to genetically enhance a child.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Remember earning more and being successful is a social thing, not a genetically inate notion.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Actually they still will exist as recessive genes it will not affect the carrier. There isn't a mechanism in what determines if they will be passed on or not and as it doesnt affect their ability to breed they will be passed on. Most likely they will still be around in the same ratio.

Here is the line that I have drawn as on this issue presenting my views:

Screening of embryo's for genetic diseases and subsequently aborting them, with a list of internationally recognised genetic diseases, with the parents told if the child is likely to get that disease or not, with the parents not told any other characteristics.

If they want an abortion fine, but it must be done without knowledge of their babies genes. Which is unfortunate as it means that abortions can be determined on sex, but that is unavoidable.

That is as far as it goes, and the genetic engineering of humans (aborting those with disease because they have them can be seen as an attempt to destroy the gene).

That is my opinion feel free to support or argue it.

Last edited:

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
yeah since when will recessive traits die out?

2 brown haired people can have blonde kids as long as the browns have a recessive gene each.

bahodl

Currently wearing pants
HSC
yeah - my parents are both dark brown haired - while I'm brown haired too, both of my brothers are really light blonde

K

katie_tully

Wrong answer.
Recessive genes are over-rided by dominant genes.The frequency of blondes will eventually become nearly non existant, because not enough people carry a dominant blonde gene. It is recessive. Both parents have to have a blonde recessive gene in order for the child to be blonde. Same goes with eye colour.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The recessive means that it is less likely, if you think about it, the number of people with a non recessive gene compared to those who do would be quite large, and probability tells us that the excess on one would outbalance the possibility of a 50% result.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
katie_tully said:
Wrong answer.
Recessive genes are over-rided by dominant genes.The frequency of blondes will eventually become nearly non existant, because not enough people carry a dominant blonde gene. It is recessive. Both parents have to have a blonde recessive gene in order for the child to be blonde. Same goes with eye colour.
Yes, but they are still carried, and it has the possibility of being passed on.

For example I have about a 2/3 chance of carrying one chromosone with the blue eye genes (my elder brother having blue eyes, and various uncles etc so there is no cheating :p) if I have a child and have the recessive blue eye gene, and the female has blue eyes then there is a 50/50 chance of the child having blue eyes, if they have the recessive gene as well then there is a 1/4 chance.

K

katie_tully

I have two brothers and two sisters. I am the only blue eyed child, my dad is blue eyed but my whole mothers side is brown eyed.
Kinda cool that im nifty and theyre not..

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Well your mum's side must have the recessive gene somewhere, so if you looked back far enough you would most likely find someone with blue eyes.

Anyway back to the topic:

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
to put another perspective into it coming from a non-scienfic perspective people are generally attracted to people alike in looks to them, so the blondes are more likely to have a relationship, so they will keep having blonde children.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)