Redeemer Baptist Church and school (1 Viewer)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Those who watched the Sunday program on Channel 9 on Sunday would haveseen the cover story on the Redeemer Baptist Church and its school. Redeemer Baptist School is next door to my school ( The kings School) and so i have a personal interest in this story. The allegation basically is that the leader of the church is an authoritarian egocentric power freak who thinks he has the authority of god to control the lifes of everybody in the church. (stuff like arranged mariages, university courses ppl will do, carrer path etc all controled by one man- Noel cannon) It has being labeled a cult by many people who have managed to escape its influence.
The school recieved $2million of Public funding Last year.

A few redemmer students catch my bus in the morning and i talked to them about it...they have clearly being brainwashed (stuff like saying Noel cannon was their saviour etc etc...)

Well there were protests outside the school today...rather big....anyway there is a link to the original Sunday program story with transcipt....

http://sunday.ninemsn.com.au/sunday/cover_stories/article_1736.asp

Last edited:

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
that's really sad :/ how delusional some ppl can get :S

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Yeah I saw that story..... it was freaky, and how the people that managed to leave had to plan their departure in secret and then left with no money and if they left any family behind they would be able to contact them..... horrible.

Liza-LaBoheme

Inside a cave, hiding under blankets while strokin
HSC
protest. do everything you can. it looks like a human rights abuse.

yeah man, that story was scary. i'm analizing the simpsons and religion for Society & Culture and it looked just like the Movementarian cult the Simpsons and most of Sprighfield get sucked into.
the scariest thing i thought was the lack of contact with the outside world, you're not even aloud to contact family members! that just makes it harder to scrutinize. plus isn't there some financial issue like members have to donate all their assetts or something.... but yes it is exactly like BNW conditioning. next thing they'll be giving soma to anyone who objects to the system.

"oh look at the time. 1984 already" (daria)

saved_by_grace

HSC
N/A
Ex-member

HI everyone -
As an ex-member of redeemer baptist church, and someone who went to redeemer baptist school, I would say that it is the hardest thing to have a small group of men controlling everything you do, and everything you know is interpreted through them. So any knowledge of the outside world is minimal, and what you do know has been re-interpreted and filtered.

The best thing about freedom, is the ability to make your own choices, something which I had never done before. Be thankful, daily, that you were never sent to Redeemer school - for you can enjoy your life as you learn and make your own decisions, what you study at university, where you live, who your friends are, what you want to do with your life and who you want to marry.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
saved_by_grace said:
HI everyone -
As an ex-member of redeemer baptist church, and someone who went to redeemer baptist school, I would say that it is the hardest thing to have a small group of men controlling everything you do, and everything you know is interpreted through them. So any knowledge of the outside world is minimal, and what you do know has been re-interpreted and filtered.

The best thing about freedom, is the ability to make your own choices, something which I had never done before. Be thankful, daily, that you were never sent to Redeemer school - for you can enjoy your life as you learn and make your own decisions, what you study at university, where you live, who your friends are, what you want to do with your life and who you want to marry.
Rep...great story.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
wow are you for real? forgive my doubt, being your first post an all

it applies to all aspects of life ofcourse, freedom is something pretty damn important that alot of peopel take for granted until they no longer have it.

so are you allowed to contact your family now that you are out? i couldnt imagine how hard it would be to not speak to your family, i couldnt live without mine

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Serius said:
wow are you for real? forgive my doubt, being your first post an all

it applies to all aspects of life ofcourse, freedom is something pretty damn important that alot of peopel take for granted until they no longer have it.

so are you allowed to contact your family now that you are out? i couldnt imagine how hard it would be to not speak to your family, i couldnt live without mine
apparently those who do manage to get out are unable to contact family members left inside redeemer......

Its quite disturbing. But the thing is that many people have been brain washed so much that they label those who seek freedom as traitors....

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
my friend used to go there... she said it's literally a cult. and her family wanted out because it wasn't a safe environment for bringing up children. there are people kicked out for not following strict rules and it's really controlling. i can't remember what else she told me, but there were some really awful stories. terrible school.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
All religions are scary in the way they corrupt people like this.

I don't see why people should fear communism when some religions already have it.

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
Asquithian said:
I know a couple of schools that should (In my opinion) not be considered 'safe'.

Some serious christian brainwashing (education) going on from kindy at this school.

http://www.phcs.nsw.edu.au/

Little school out in the Hills. I saw what it did to a Guy I KNEW (Parents found out I was not christian. Therefore no more choaching of their son from me)...Great kid whacked substantially by an unfaltering belief in christianity. Not to mention bigoted views of gay people (Should be burnt to death) and notbeing able to understand that a person he looked up to (as in me - sporting/academic) could NOT be christian.

The problem is that the school has pretty much nothing else on the curriculum.

In my opinion.
pacific hills is a few mins down the road from me. they're not that bad... admittedly, their curriculum is lacking, but religion isn't forced on you the same was as at redeemer. they're elitist, but plenty of normal people go there and have been produced from the school, it's just that there is too much emphasis on christianity. then again, i have heard some bad stories about bullying there, but that happens at every school, i also know people who loved it there!

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
I certainly think their ' Thank godfor EVERYTHING' is a bit extreme.

Thank god for making sure so and so made it to school today. Thank god for our HSC results.

Then again the Guy did pray for my HSC results when they came out. Which I guess is nice.
Glad to see the concept of free will still exists :)

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Thank God that Asqy and the ex-member were able to share their stories of brainwashing....

Last edited:

saved_by_grace

HSC
N/A
my life

Yes - i am for real. I am a member of another website called "Redeemer Parents Association" where many ex-members of Redeemer Baptist church and school gather. I did a search for Redeemer on yahoo search and this was one of the sites that came up. And I saw the comments and felt compelled to reply. Hence I joined. The sad thing about Redeemer is if you ever question or challenge one of those in authority then your name is blackened for life. Because I did that I am now unable to contact any friends and family that are still in the church.

It is very lonely and isolating when all those people that you thought were your friends, the people you grew up with, suddenly refuse to talk to you when they see you.

When it comes to the school - on many occasions have I seen the principal publically rebuke one of the teachers (or students). Very negative environment.

And of course, there are many bizarre rules - both for the students and the teachers. There are many good christian schools that have strict rules - but i think there is a difference btween strict and outright controlling.

there was a day when the principle confiscated many ppl's diaries and destroyed them.
On school camps you are forbidden to contact your parents
On school camps you are forced to eat rather large amounts of food
The school issues detentions very quickly - and on these detentions the students do 'slave labour' jobs for the school (cheaper than hiring workers!)
School students are publicaly humiliated for supposed offenses (such as holdign hands in the street with someone of teh opposite sex) and never given a chance to answer teh allegations. (allegations are never checked for accuracy!)
Every friday lunch the students have to clean th school
Teachers in teh school are forced to go to meetings until very late in teh night, and then to wake up early the next morning to teach at school all day.
students who leave the school also get their name blackened by the staff of the school with allegations concocted about them.
that is just a sample of the things that happened in there... unfortuneatly it gets worse not better!
Hope this answers any questions you may have.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Asquithian said:
I know a couple of schools that should (In my opinion) not be considered 'safe'.

Some serious christian brainwashing (education) going on from kindy at this school.

http://www.phcs.nsw.edu.au/

Little school out in the Hills. I saw what it did to a Guy I KNEW (Parents found out I was not christian. Therefore no more choaching of their son from me)...Great kid whacked substantially by an unfaltering belief in christianity. Not to mention bigoted views of gay people (Should be burnt to death) and notbeing able to understand that a person he looked up to (as in me - sporting/academic) could NOT be christian.

The problem is that the school has pretty much nothing else on the curriculum.

In my opinion.
My sister goes there and they don't see to be too bad. Some of the "praise christ" rubbish encouraged by the school is a little strange to begin with but my sister grew out of it after her first year or two there. I think that the Hillsong push from other students however is a little scarier. It's the only school in the country where you're a nerd if you don't go to a good, traditional pentacostal church. If you believe it or not, my mother was called up by a teacher because boys had been calling my sister a "lesbian" in the playground - concern ensued.

From what I've seen though, they do take care of families and children that attend the school. They offered to cut my sister's fees after we had huge family problems (she isn't particularly bright either, so it was hardly a scholarship) and have tried to help her at least. I suppose academically they haven't given her any drive and every time she fails it seems to be "O.K" but I suppose in that they are much like a public school but with good pastoral care.

It sounds like the family itself was screwed up Asquithian. I think it's a bit harsh to say that one whacky family reflects upon an entire school. I don't why you have such issues with Christians asqy, I know that they're fruity but each to his own eh?

Last edited:

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
hmmm damn why didnt i go do my y11 social service at Redeemer!

Anyway these cases seem to rasie the issue of where we draw the line in Religion in the education system. How far is too far?

And should the authorities be able to intervene in such a church? The church is obviously saying that members are there out of their own free will, but could the gov intervene if there was precived 'brain-washing'? (On that i am opposed)

oh and redeemer is in my sig.....their close proximity to my school means i assosicate with many of them on the bus.....scary stuff they say when i talk to them

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
So he question is, are cults, or should cults be illegal? Should they be broken up? Should they be funded?

saved_by_grace

HSC
N/A
At teh end of teh day - can we call describe a cult as being christian. I can spend the next 10 years saying that I am a cucumber - but that doesn't make me turn green! Similarly those ppl who are attending Redeemer may say they are christian, but saying it doesn't make them so - its in their lives that makes the difference.

While it is hard to imagine how one man could take control of so many ppl and manipulate them so much - those who see it, believe it! And i've seen ppl go to the newspapers and tv about Redeemer, and expose some of the truth - but only the ppl who want ot believe it will believe it.

I think there needs to be some type of legislation change that allows the government to intervene where there is a controlling leader - and demand some independent board - and a particular code of conduct that the members of the group are made aware of, so they can stand up and say what they believe. At the moment the government has no power to stop cults from existing and operating.

I think that Redeemer is giving christianity for that matter, a bad name. When Christs teachings are about love, and honesty and doing what it right.

L

LaraB

neo_o said:
My sister goes there and they don't see to be too bad. Some of the "praise christ" rubbish encouraged by the school is a little strange to begin with but my sister grew out of it after her first year or two there. I think that the Hillsong push from other students however is a little scarier. It's the only school in the country where you're a nerd if you don't go to a good, traditional pentacostal church. If you believe it or not, my mother was called up by a teacher because boys had been calling my sister a "lesbian" in the playground - concern ensued.

From what I've seen though, they do take care of families and children that attend the school. They offered to cut my sister's fees after we had huge family problems (she isn't particularly bright either, so it was hardly a scholarship) and have tried to help her at least. I suppose academically they haven't given her any drive and every time she fails it seems to be "O.K" but I suppose in that they are much like a public school but with good pastoral care.

It sounds like the family itself was screwed up Asquithian. I think it's a bit harsh to say that one whacky family reflects upon an entire school. I don't why you have such issues with Christians asqy, I know that they're fruity but each to his own eh?
did you watch the show on Sunday?

well... if you didn't that's partly what they were getting at - yes the school does fairly well academically, yes they appear to care for families introuble etc but the problem is that in a vast majority of cases they expect a ridiculous amount in return for what you give..

a lot of families on the show weren't members of the Redeemer community and just go to the school and said yeah, we don't think the are that nuts but if they are oh well our kids are cared for and gettin a good education but seriously - if the reason why they can afford to be so caring and can achieve such results is because they rort their staff outa money, 'brainwash' community members into handing over all their assets to them. cut off family members for refusing to give in to their beliefs etc then it really is irrelevant if they are caring and whatever

the deeper seeded problems outshadow any other good they do because he principles it is(apparently) based on are immoral and border on illegal.

L

LaraB

Asquithian said:
I seem to come accross more odd ones than good ones. I really only know ONE good christian. She used to think christians were 'better people' and 'more trustworthy'. Of course I had to straighten that out.
i know what you're gettin at but at the same time - you may have met heapsa good people that you didn't know were christian or not..

i mean... its not as if you walk up to someone you dont know much about and say "are you christian or not?"...

A lot of christian's are basically good people but just have a screwy basis for why they do what they do

and before you say anything back about me being christian - i'm not.. im not religiou at all and am strongly against organised religion but that doesn't mean that i don't think a lot of christians are good people.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)