Attention Economics students of 2008 (1 Viewer)

xibeleli

HSC
I am planning to do economics as a hsc subject for next year, However im not sure about it and dont want to dig my grave in the hsc.

So is economics fun and enjoyable? is it easy? is it that hard? What kind of assessments do you do (speeches, presentations,etc?), etc.

Any other information would be very helpful thank you

BackCountrySnow

HSC
It depends on the person. For some people it just clicks and the course becomes very straight forward. A lot of people fins it enjoyable.

Tests: Short answers, essays and multiple choice.

tau281290

HSC
Yes economics is fun and enjoyable if you like it and it is dead easy for that amazing scaling.

Assessments vary between schools, usually we have speeches, research projects for the globalisation topic .

BTW, 2008 HSC Economics has officially finished!

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
xibeleli said:
I am planning to do economics as a hsc subject for next year, However im not sure about it and dont want to dig my grave in the hsc.

So is economics fun and enjoyable? is it easy? is it that hard? What kind of assessments do you do (speeches, presentations,etc?), etc.

Any other information would be very helpful thank you
i find economics enjoyable. i think the best thing about it is it rewards work. if you do your work. its easy to do well. i find with things like english sometimes you can do your work and still not go well. economics is a very logical and structured subject.

if you do your work. economics is easy and fun. and it can be one of those classes where you look at it on your timetable and feel happy that you have it next =]

ps also about the assessments, yeah its basically structured 'multiple choice, short answers, essay' and i find the tests to be really easy if you study. and im at a selective school.

now and then you might get something like a speech but dont fret if your bad at speeches beacuse most of the marks are made up of content, and if you just learn the speech it will be easier to look up from the cards and BAM you get a good mark.

seriously go for economics its one of my favourite subjects

Last edited:

xibeleli

HSC
gibbo153 said:
i find economics enjoyable. i think the best thing about it is it rewards work. if you do your work. its easy to do well. i find with things like english sometimes you can do your work and still not go well. economics is a very logical and structured subject.

if you do your work. economics is easy and fun. and it can be one of those classes where you look at it on your timetable and feel happy that you have it next =]

ps also about the assessments, yeah its basically structured 'multiple choice, short answers, essay' and i find the tests to be really easy if you study. and im at a selective school.

now and then you might get something like a speech but dont fret if your bad at speeches beacuse most of the marks are made up of content, and if you just learn the speech it will be easier to look up from the cards and BAM you get a good mark.

seriously go for economics its one of my favourite subjects
Thanks alot for taking the time to answer my question, i also found economics to be an interesting subject when i first saw it, most probably because it involved business (although for some reason i really hate business studies).

Yeah i think i should go for it

Do i need a good level of mathematics to do economics?, does it scale ok? and what subjects compliments this subject

Cheers mate :cool:

Last edited:

Nevermore

Godlike
HSC
xibeleli said:
Thanks alot for taking the time to answer my question, i also found economics to be an interesting subject when i first saw it, most probably because it involved business (although for some reason i really hate business studies).

Do i need a good level of mathematics to do economics?, does it scale ok? and what subjects compliments this subject

Yup do economics, it scales quite high

seano77

Walk On
HSC
xibeleli said:

Scales well. You wont need a fantastic level of maths.. just knowing how to rearrange linear equations and use algebra is all you really need.

You can use some of the information from Eco in Business Studies, but you can't really use business knowledge in eco. Apart from that you will need essay writing skills.

Good luck.

hueh

HSC
Basic algebra is all you need and it is not that much of a necessity.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
xibeleli said:

no problem! i didnt realise you had replied sorry!
in the way of maths. all you need to do is be able to use a calculator. its not really about sums and stuff. but yeah anything you need maths for is calculator based =]

and yeah it scales pretty well too! but i dont really recommend taking subjects just cos they scale well. even if they do scale well its only going to really be beneficial if you go well. so you might as well choose subjects that you can do well in, and let scaling wory about itself =]=]

but yeah its good as a hsc subject cos like it rewards study.
good luck in sc! even though its a pointless waste of time haha

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
seano77 said:
Scales well. You wont need a fantastic level of maths.. just knowing how to rearrange linear equations and use algebra is all you really need.

You can use some of the information from Eco in Business Studies, but you can't really use business knowledge in eco. Apart from that you will need essay writing skills.

Good luck.
yeah thats true. i do legal as well as economics and they complement each other now and then. i was planning to do business legal and eco but my parents didnt let me haha.

yeah essay writing is pretty big. most tests have an essay section. but economics is more facts based anyway. also sometimes you get structured essays. (ie. no conclusion intro points thesis thingy, just like, specifically answering things and you can use headings and stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)