Advice and tips for prelim and hsc Economics (1 Viewer)

BabyBlueVamp

HSC
Okay i m starting yr 11. so i have no clue of what to expect in economics.. for that fact i hardly watch finance news. and apparently u shud watch news for economics.. and other subjects. to keep info up to date.
can people give me tips and advices on how to excel in exams and assignments in eco

georgefren

HSC
Look at the HSC format (board of studies past papers) and learn your textbook.
Learn enough to be able to give about a page of info on any of the bullet points if needed.

You do not need to watch the news, read papers, ect. to do well in this subject. It COULD help, but chances are it wont really.

LordPc

HSC
Make sure that you pay attention and try hard when you learn about Demand and Supply. Almost everything you do in economics will be related to that concept in some way, right up until the HSC exams. So make sure you understand that and are very confident with it.

As for watching the news, I would watch the parts that are economically related such as inflation, unemployment and interest rate news.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
BabyBlueVamp said:
what books are good for economics?
and which ones are bad
Leading edge is pretty good. Some people say that Tim Riley is good but I didn't really like it.

Kirsty Xx

That's the price we pay
HSC
The EXCEL Economics books are brilliant, IMHO. Also the Leading Edge text books are quite informative. The Leading Edge website comes in handy for news updates and answers to the multiple choice/short answer/essay questions in the question book that is associated with the main Leading Edge textbook.

Welcome to Leading Edge Education

Just serious and constant revision will get you through. It's all about linking information and terms so make sure you revise what you've learnt, so you can keep up later in the course! Make sure you get this down pat in Year 11, as your Prelim year acts as a necessary base to the things you be learning in the HSC.

Having a background knowledge on current affairs is always handy, as you're able to refer to present events when re-presenting things you have learnt. It helps with context too and having knowing what is happening in the news, you may be able to write about it in an essay to show your understanding. Plus is may assist you in grasping a concept.

Last edited:

LordPc

HSC
georgefren said:
theyre all generally good. wouldnt matter.
ditto, all good and pretty much the same. However some people say that Leading Edge is too simplistic, but I didnt find anything wrong with it.

The Bulmer books, divided into parts A, B and C were IMO over the top. There are things included that are not in the Syllabus and some of what is included goes into a bit too much depth and can get confusing. Book C is a study guide which is useful though. Riley book is good too.

I didnt use excel so I wouldnt know, but the economics textbooks books are generally quite good, I dont see the need to pick up an excel guide for them

gnrlies

HSC
Do economics :) it is good fun.

You wont need to read or know any economic news etc in year 11, but it is sometimes good to know a little bit about it to provide context. You will find that when you study economics you will start to notice things in the news as you now know what they are talking about

As far as books, the most popular book is leading edge, and it is good because it is simple and gives you everything you need to know. Riley is meant to be more detailed but that can be a bad thing as it is also more confusing and may have things that arent required in the course. Same can be said of bulmur.

munchiecrunchie

HSC
Despite what people have said here, i honestly believe that you need to keep up to date with whats happening in the economy - not so much in yr 11, but more in yr 12. It really gives your essay responses an edge, and is a key factor in getting top marks in economics.

You don't have to watch finance reports everyday; just know the general jist of major developments.

d3st1nyLiang

Premium Member
HSC
ross gittins articles are pretty simple and informative and his writing style is suited for hsc students; looking forward to the change to prelim eco

fly-away

HSC
N/A
I'm also doing economics preliminary.
And i'm kind of worried because i have no clue on the economy and anything related to it. When news come up to do with the economy, i'm so lost.

Is this bad =/ Or will all my gaps be filled with the preliminary course? i pretty much chose economics because i'd like to understand the economy. Now i'm just worried. LOL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)