Case Study Information (1 Viewer)

Without Wings

Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
Thanks to all the members who have shared useful links.

If you have any more relevant links please share them here.

General Information

Relevant Syllabus Points
Case study

A case study on the impact of globalisation on an economy other than Australia must be undertaken, along with the strategies that this economy is using to promote economic growth and development.

Impact of globalisation:
• international convergence
• economic growth, development and the quality of life
• trade, investment and transnational corporations
• distribution of income and wealth
• environmental consequences
• financial markets
• the international business cycle
• implications for government economic policies.

Which economy should I use as a case study?
It is best to use an economy where the impact of globalisation is quite evident. For example: China, Poland, Brazil, Vietnam etc. It is important to ensure that the case study chosen is appropriate and will enable you to respond to a question regarding it with the best possible response.

Should I pre-prepare a response to this type of question?
This is a personal choice - some people feel it is of a benefit to them, others do not. In past HSC's it has been evident to markers that students have pre-prepared responses, which in some cases did not meet the requirements of the question. If you are going to pre-prepare a response ensure that you can be flexible with it and can adapt the contents to suit the question asked.

Do I need to include current statistics/data?
Marking guidelines from previous HSC papers state that better responses included current statistics and data.

Does it matter if the case study I use is popular?
According to previous marking guidelines, generally some of the more popular case studies (eg: China) are actually some of the best to use
as the impact of globalisation is more evident. You should decide yourself and through discussion with your teacher which case study you feel is most appropriate and use this one. Don't worry about whether a lot of other people are using it or not - just worry about how well you can respond to a question using it.

What sort of questions could I be asked using the case study?
Here are some examples of practice/past questions:
- Analyse the impact of globalisation on an economy other than Australia; including the strategies used by that economy to promote growth and development.
- Examine the impact of globalisation for an economy you have studied other than Australia.
- Explain how an individual economy (other than Australia) is endeavouring to promote its level of economic development, in an environment where globalisation is affecting living standards.

You can find further questions by looking at past HSC, Trial, Assessment Exams.

BoS Resources

Remember: these links are just a starting point, they are no way all the information available about the economy you are studying and all that you will need. Also remember that some websites/links are not updated regularly and therefore all the statistics and information you find will not be up to date.

Resources for all Economies

World Factbook - Just type in the economy you are studying to get a broad overview of the economy and a range of statistics.

Economist - Country Briefings

Brazil

Governments on the WWW: Brazil - A tremendous list of Brazil links from the Latin American Network Information Center

IMF: Brazil

World Bank's Brazil Page

Brazzil - Brazzil, an English-language magazine on Brazilian society and culture

The Ministry of Foreign Relations - The english version.

Institute of Brazilian Business & Public Management Issues

Brazil's Constitution

Sub-Saharan Africa
[Kenya, Nigeria, Ghana, South Africa etc]

Leading Edge Education have put out a new publication: "Globalisation and economic development in Sub-Saharan Africa. This publication has some interesting information for if you are studying a Sub-Saharan Africa economy (such as Kenya, Nigeria, Ghana, South Africa) for your case study, or if you just want a read to further your knowledge. It's available here.

External Related Links

United Nations Development Program - Useful reports and statistics on several economies.

World Bank's Africa Pages - A great resource on the region of sub-Saharan Africa and individual economies, along with information about the World Bank’s assistance programs.

Governments on the WWW: Africa - has a large list of links to government institutions and political organisations in Africa.

Commission for Africa - The landmark report on African Economic Development by the 2005 Blair Commission for Africa

UN Millenium Project - Statistics and Reports about sub-Saharan African economies and the Millennium Development Goals.

South African Government Information - An overview of South Africa’s economy from the South African government.

Political Resources - A great collection of links to several media, government and educational websites on Africa.

World Monitor - A list of links to governments, media and non-governmental organisations in sub-Saharan Africa.

African Studies Centre - A great
collection of links to resources on several African countries from the African Studies Center at the University of Pennsylvania.

Poland

Governments on the WWW: Poland

Warsaw Voice - A Polish based English language newspaper - a useful source of information about current events in Poland.

The Chancellory of the Prime Minister - Official website of the Office of the Polish Prime Minister.

National Bank of Poland

IMF Poland

World Bank - Has a range of pages on Poland.

World Trade Organisation - A good source of information on Poland’s trade policy.

Polish Official Statistics - A government website that can be used to find all of the major economic and social statistics relating to Poland.

China

China Economic Information Network

WorldBank - China

IMF - People's Republic of China - International Monetary Fund information on China.

China Economic Review

Factbook - China - lots of information
on China.

China Brief

China Environmental Issues

Ministry of Commerce of the People's Republic of China

China Business Information Centre - Exports.

Cambridge: Comparing China & Russia's responses to Globalisation

Economist - China

South Korea

World Bank: South Korea - Powerpoint on South Korea.

Country Analysis - Environmental Issues

South Korea Country Analysis - overview of the country.

Factbook: South Korea - Overview

Ireland

Department of Finance for the Government of Ireland

The Economic and Social Research Institute

The Economist - Article on Ireland Economy

Ireland Central Statistics Office

Central Bank and Financial Services

News Article on Ireland Economy

US

Bureau of Economic Analysis

Economic Development Administration

United States Trade and Development Agency

Russia

World Factbook: Russia

IMF: Russia

World Bank: Russia

Cambridge: Globalisation in Russia

India

Economy Watch: India

Embassy of India

Economic Times: India Times

Economist: India

Time: India

Argentina

Argentina Statistics

UNICEF - Argentina - Statistics (this one is great for quality of life indicators)

NationMaster - Statistics on Argentina. facts and figures, stats and information on Argentine economy, crime, people, government, health and education.

[url]http://devdata.worldbank.org/AAG/arg_aag.pdf[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
thanks withoutwings

what might be some possible essay questions for this case study?

irvine

USYD 2011 :D
HSC
Also, what depth do we need to go into when researching the case study?
our teacher gave it to us as holiday homework and said around ~8 pages but i find that ver vague :S

williamc

HSC
Also, what depth do we need to go into when researching the case study?
our teacher gave it to us as holiday homework and said around ~8 pages but i find that ver vague :S
my notes for my case study were like 2500ish words. easily enough to write a band 6 essay

hardcore8

HSC
Our teacher wont allow us to do popular case study's i.e no poland, china, nor brazil. Is there any other economies you suggest?

Without Wings

Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
thanks withoutwings

what might be some possible essay questions for this case study?
I've included this question in the FAQ

What sort of questions could I be asked using the case study?
Here are some examples of practice/past questions:
- Analyse the impact of globalisation on an economy other than Australia; including the strategies used by that economy to promote growth and development.
- Examine the impact of globalisation for an economy you have studied other than Australia.
- Explain how an individual economy (other than Australia) is endeavouring to promote its level of economic development, in an environment where globalisation is affecting living standards.

You can find further questions by looking at past HSC, Trial, Assessment Exams.
hardcore8 said:
Our teacher wont allow us to do popular case study's i.e no poland, china, nor brazil. Is there any other economies you suggest?
Have a look at the ones which have been mentioned above with link to resources and see if any of those are ones that you feel are appropriate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)