UNSW Economics Competition Tomorrow (1 Viewer)

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Paying for a test, now thats stupidity; no offense.
You really don't understand the concept of these exams.

Sure you pay $5 but it gives you the experience to do an exam which hasn't been set by your teachers, but an outstanding University.

Plus if you do well there is the pride, prize money etc.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
I'm doing eco tomorrow too. :)

How'd you guys go last year?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
It is for the top three in each state
Really? Back when I did it it was based on mark percentage/etc. I got the cash prize (only $45 or so) from the sponsor at the time, and also met with the campus recruitment team from said sponsor, and lo and behold I have been working at this place for nearly 6 years.

Who is the sponsor this year?

ps. You're not meant to really be able to study for it. It's meant to be more common sense/current events than stuff which you already get tested on in school tests/exams/assignments.

Paying for a test, now thats stupidity; no offense.
Looks good on the CV, and hey, it's a couple of hours off class.

You realise that pretty much all the competitions cost money right? Your school probably just subsidises/pays it.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
What are students tested on? Example questions?

Bloodstriker

HSC
^^
You can't really study for it, they're just concept based questions. E.g "if the RBA increases interest rates, what happens to inflation?"
Something similar to that (but towards the end of the paper they get more difficult)

HSC
Damn, I wish I can do this at my school. It sounds like fun, especially doing 40 MC questions in 50 minutes.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Good luck guys!

I did some economics comp last year (don't think it is this particular one but similiar) had done eco for like 6-7weeks, ended up with a merit or something lol.

HSC
nah i paid the $5.50, i didnt keep the sheet with the dates its on and i had eco today and not a single mention about the competition tomoro
oh that's strange, maybe your teacher had forgotten to remind your class (it happens many times to me).
well good luck if you do end up doing it ! :)

powlmao

Banned
HSC
100% sure it is tomorrow.

Even checked the website.

The cash prizes i think range from $1000 to $100. It is actually a lot of money for a competition.

The questions are anything really to do with economics. Usually they cover the whole syllabus and first year uni stuff so there is no way to prepare. It is also based upon current events- not too much though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)