IMP - Prelim to HSC Economics (1 Viewer)

mreditor16

HSC
Hey All,

Just a thread to help you guys out. A friend asked which dot-points from the Preliminary Economics syllabus they should know well and revise, in preparation for the HSC course to give them a great foundation, and so that they can get ahead of the pack and save some valuable time during the HSC. :D And hopefully lead to better marks. ;)

So, after looking through the Prelim syllabus, here are the dot-points you really need to know, as you will either re-learn it in the HSC course or go further into it, in terms of depth and complexity. All the other dot-points in the Year 11 syllabus you pretty much won't need in the HSC course (but sometimes you can set yourself apart and use some nuggets of knowledge from the prelim syllabus, and if used appropiately in the HSC, it will get mucho kudos :D)

So here are the critical dot-points taken straight from the Year 11 Economics syllabus:

* the circular flow of income - individuals, businesses, financial institutions, governments, international trade and financial flows
* Sources of income - the return for resources: wages, rent, interest and profits / social welfare
* Demand - law of demand, individual and market demand, the demand curve / factors affecting demand / movements along the demand curve and shifts of the demand curve
* Supply - law of supply, individual and market supply, the supply curve / factors affecting supply / movements along the supply curve and shifts of the supply curve
* Market price - market equilibrium (using diagrams) / movement to equilibrium / effects of changes in supply and/or demand on equilibrium market price and quantity through the use of diagrams
* definition of the workforce - employed / unemployed
* general characteristics of the Australian workforce
* Differences in incomes from work - wage outcomes for all persons by income groups, occupational groups, age, gender and cultural background / trends in the distribution of income from work over time / arguments for and against a more equitable distribution of income from work
* role of the Reserve Bank of Australia in determining the cash rate
* influence of the cash rate on interest rates.
* inequality in the distribution of income – disadvantaged groups, relative poverty
* externalities and the environment – pollution, climate change
* fluctuations in economic activity – the business cycle and the adverse effects of booms and recessions
* reallocation of resources – types of taxes: direct and indirect, types of expenses
* redistribution of income – progressive, regressive and proportional taxes, social welfare payments
* stablisation of economic activity – a brief overview of the stabilising role of monetary and fiscal policies
*the budget process
* types of budgets – surplus, balanced, deficit
* revenue and expenses

Hope that helps! :D And good luck! :)

matchalolz

HSC
Hey All,

Just a thread to help you guys out. A friend asked which dot-points from the Preliminary Economics syllabus they should know well and revise, in preparation for the HSC course to give them a great foundation, and so that they can get ahead of the pack and save some valuable time during the HSC. :D And hopefully lead to better marks. ;)

So, after looking through the Prelim syllabus, here are the dot-points you really need to know, as you will either re-learn it in the HSC course or go further into it, in terms of depth and complexity. All the other dot-points in the Year 11 syllabus you pretty much won't need in the HSC course (but sometimes you can set yourself apart and use some nuggets of knowledge from the prelim syllabus, and if used appropiately in the HSC, it will get mucho kudos :D)

So here are the critical dot-points taken straight from the Year 11 Economics syllabus:

* the circular flow of income - individuals, businesses, financial institutions, governments, international trade and financial flows
* Sources of income - the return for resources: wages, rent, interest and profits / social welfare
* Demand - law of demand, individual and market demand, the demand curve / factors affecting demand / movements along the demand curve and shifts of the demand curve
* Supply - law of supply, individual and market supply, the supply curve / factors affecting supply / movements along the supply curve and shifts of the supply curve
* Market price - market equilibrium (using diagrams) / movement to equilibrium / effects of changes in supply and/or demand on equilibrium market price and quantity through the use of diagrams
* definition of the workforce - employed / unemployed
* general characteristics of the Australian workforce
* Differences in incomes from work - wage outcomes for all persons by income groups, occupational groups, age, gender and cultural background / trends in the distribution of income from work over time / arguments for and against a more equitable distribution of income from work
* role of the Reserve Bank of Australia in determining the cash rate
* influence of the cash rate on interest rates.
* inequality in the distribution of income – disadvantaged groups, relative poverty
* externalities and the environment – pollution, climate change
* fluctuations in economic activity – the business cycle and the adverse effects of booms and recessions
* reallocation of resources – types of taxes: direct and indirect, types of expenses
* redistribution of income – progressive, regressive and proportional taxes, social welfare payments
* stablisation of economic activity – a brief overview of the stabilising role of monetary and fiscal policies
*the budget process
* types of budgets – surplus, balanced, deficit
* revenue and expenses

Hope that helps! :D And good luck! :)
thank you so much :angel: I was about to go and write notes for economics and was worried I wouldn't finish on time. Now I know what to focus on

mreditor16

HSC
thank you so much :angel: I was about to go and write notes for economics and was worried I wouldn't finish on time. Now I know what to focus on
note these are the dot points important for year 12. if studying for year 11 exams, you should be studying all dot points, not just these which I have only highlighted for the purposes of moving into HSC economics.

so, please don't use these mentioned dot points as focus areas in regard to your revision for Year 11 yearlies. treat all dot points in the prelim syllabus with some attention....

:D

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Good job.

To all the prelim kids, if you're struggling with these dot points currently good luck for the hsc because this knowledge is the foundation for the difficult concepts you'll learn later on.

mreditor16

HSC
Good job.

To all the prelim kids, if you're struggling with these dot points currently good luck for the hsc because this knowledge is the foundation for the difficult concepts you'll learn later on.
yep absolutely! :D

matchalolz

HSC
note these are the dot points important for year 12. if studying for year 11 exams, you should be studying all dot points, not just these which I have only highlighted for the purposes of moving into HSC economics.

so, please don't use these mentioned dot points as focus areas in regard to your revision for Year 11 yearlies. treat all dot points in the prelim syllabus with some attention....

:D
Don't worry, I'm studying everything :) I'm just writing my notes for these topics FIRST and then doing the rest if I have time. This because I don't always finish writing notes as I ditch note writing to do practice papers when I feel that I have a good knowledge of everything

Iwillget9995

HSC
This is accurate. However, the depth you learn it at Year 11 is not sufficient for Year 12. Additionally, year 12 economics tends not to focus on these dot points. Ultimately, preliminary Economics is pretty useless.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)