HSC Economics 2016 essay question predictions? (1 Viewer)

felix04490

HSC
Hey everyone, I thought it would be useful to create a thread to see what everyones thoughts are for this years hsc economics extended response section.
Exchange rates seem like they probs will be asked, not sure bout everything else

meDAawesome

HSC
Hey everyone, I thought it would be useful to create a thread to see what everyones thoughts are for this years hsc economics extended response section.
Exchange rates seem like they probs will be asked, not sure bout everything else
I would make sure to prepare your case study and exchange rate for sure.

Anything else is up in the air, I'm thinking possibly something to do with distribution of income or an international organisations question?

iStudent

HSC
This is what I think

High highly likely NOT: (these were asked 2015)
- External stability
- International orgs/trade agreements
- Eco growth sources/effects

Probably not:
- Micro policies (asked in 2015 but repeating it IS possible but unlikely)
- Inflation (ask in 2014, and inflation questions aren't asked much at all)

Possible: These questions haven't been asked in a while. I don't think they are likely, but they are possible
- Free trade/protection (reasons for protection, basis of free trade - advantages/disadvantages, methods of protection)
- Composition/direction of trade (curveball)
- Global economy (features i.e. trade, financial flows etc.) may even international/regional business cycles.
- Reasons for differences between nations (income inequality)

Highly likey
- Case study (last case study question was 2014 - and case study is asked every 2-3 years. THIS IS OVERDUE). All the easy case study questions (imo) have been asked already over the past 15 or so years. Expect a case study question that could surprise you
- macro policies (fiscal AND/OR monetary) - macro policies are so huge in economics they ask it pretty much EVERY YEAR. Expect a question that includes it. Possible that they link macro policies with an economics issue such as income inequality (or anything else really...).
- Distribution of income and wealth (sources of wealth, trends in distribution of income, impact of eco policies on distribution). They've asked standalone questions on every eco issue (eco growth 2015, inflation 2014, external stability 2015, environment 2014, unemployment 2013). The only one they haven't covered is distribution of income and wealth.

Highly Highly Highly likely
- Exchange rates (super overdue)

janbroodryk

HSC
N/A
What are the chances of an environment essay given the carbon tax + ETS was repealed?

This is what I think

- External stability

Probably not:

Possible: These questions haven't been asked in a while. I don't think they are likely, but they are possible
- Free trade/protection (reasons for protection, basis of free trade - advantages/disadvantages, methods of protection)
- Global economy (features i.e. trade, financial flows etc.) may even international/regional business cycles.

Highly likey
- Case study (last case study question was 2014 - and case study is asked every 2-3 years. THIS IS OVERDUE). All the easy case study questions (imo) have been asked already over the past 15 or so years. Expect a case study question that could surprise you
- macro policies (fiscal AND/OR monetary) - macro policies are so huge in economics they ask it pretty much EVERY YEAR. Expect a question that includes it. Possible that they link macro policies with an economics issue such as income inequality (or anything else really...).
- Distribution of income and wealth (sources of wealth, trends in distribution of income, impact of eco policies on distribution). They've asked standalone questions on every eco issue (eco growth 2015, inflation 2014, external stability 2015, environment 2014, unemployment 2013). The only one they haven't covered is distribution of income and wealth.

iStudent

HSC
I think it's possible. Unlikely though, given there's other topics that are more urgent.

Environment questions are pretty curveball given they don't link that well to other topics. But since it wasn't exactly last year that they asked it, it is possible they ask it.

HSC
N/A
What are the chances of an environment essay given the carbon tax + ETS was repealed?
Unfortunately the BOS doesn't choose questions because of external events, though this would certainly be a more interesting way of doing it!

Just like Glenny Stevens tries to hit 2-3% over the medium term, the Board of Studies exam committee seeks to test the entire syllabus vaguely equally over a medium term period (not even kidding), a better strategy with picking questions is to look at what hasn't been quite as heavily tested as others for the last few years

HSC
N/A
This is what I think

- External stability

Probably not:

Highly likey

Eco teacher here. I'd be very, very wary about thinking that if a topic area was tested explicitly last year it won't be tested again the next year. There are many occasions where this has been done. For example:
Question from 2013 "Explain the effects of Australia’s macroeconomic policy mix on economic growth and inflation in the domestic economy
Question from 2014 "Explain the causes of inflation and its effects on the Australian economy."

Yes it speaks about growth as well for one of them but both responses need a comprehensive knowledge of the effects of inflation. Many students wouldn't have expected this. In my mapping of previous questions I can count at least 10 other instances where this has happened with other topics.

I totally agree with most of your other 'possible and highly likely's' but be careful before assuming something won't be tested two years in a row! The Economics examination committee is notorious for trying to be as unpredictable as possible because of the high quality candidature that the subject tends to attract.

10moonstone

HSC
what are your predictions? Or could you make a list (doesn't matter how long) of the potential topics for this year??
thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)