UBS Finance Academy? (1 Viewer)

astro

HSC
I think that's what it's called....it's happening during the july skool holidays at Macquarie university...i think its a program that teaches you about the financial aspects of economics and business...anybody going

prusso

HSC
lol ok....

i want to go to an economics one but im not sure if its worth spending all the money going 2 leading edge... :S

astro

HSC
how much does the leading edge seminar thing cost??

aditya

HSC
300 + advanced students one (119) if u want it... i just got a letter 2dai =)

but yeh newaiz, wats this thing? is it like a program which u get a certificate for in the end? we dunt need to knwo financial aspects, i think it would be a waste of essay time, u do wats in teh syllabus to the best u can, tehre isnt any point of going outside of it, u might be risking the teachers not knowing wat ur on about :S

im prolly on about something weird, but yeh... thats my 2 cents

prusso

HSC
yeah got that leading edge thing today, cheapest one 179 :mad: some of them up to like 300 bucks :mad:

/me waits for syd/macq uni courses....

t & co.

HSC
N/A
I went to the finance academy last year. It's basically a program where you learn about the different areas of the financial industry and investment banking.

It was heaps of fun & if ur interested in this kind of stuff, it's worthwhile.

Soulja

HSC
i went to the ubs academy, got back on friday nite. It was the best course ever. we all learned heaps and had a really good. recommend it to everyone.

astro

HSC
Soulja said:
i went to the ubs academy, got back on friday nite. It was the best course ever. we all learned heaps and had a really good. recommend it to everyone.

Did you meet a girl called Laura Cupples??

Soulja

HSC
yeh, i checed some list and she was on it but icant rmember who she was. why?
do u know her

basket.case

HSC
Well sorry to dig this thread up, but I was wondering if any of us are going to next month's UBS finance academy 2008...?

Only 'cos I am, and would like to stresss about it with someone.. perhaps.

Hmm... what to pack ..

Thanks! :)

haiderr

Goldn_i
HSC
basket.case said:
Well sorry to dig this thread up, but I was wondering if any of us are going to next month's UBS finance academy 2008...?

Only 'cos I am, and would like to stresss about it with someone.. perhaps.

Hmm... what to pack ..

Thanks! :)
i went last year and it is AWESOME!

wat to pack: nighties ofcourse, casual clothes for all the sessions during the day - its not loud shirt day so dnt wear something that may be offensive...

also, pack a set of formal clothes for the presentation on the last day + formal dinner.

have something smart-casual for the mentor evening thingo on the tuesday (thts where u go n meet a lot of the UBS staff and you can choose who you want to be your ongoing mentor).

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY: take something warm - last year it got really really cold esp at night and the only thing i had was teh UBS hoodie they gave us (which was pretty warm) and i slept in that too coz i missed out on a blanket !!!!!!!!!

if your really fussy about food - the food at dunmoore lang college in macquarie uni (where u will be staying) is CRAP! but the UBS food is pretty good.

ofcourse you'll take all your gel, shaving crap, perfume and make up (for girls, and some guys too.. LOL), and everyday necesseties... also, soap n shampoo etc. bathroom/shower facilities are really good.

take a camera if uve got one, or use ur fone (n dnt forget the charger like i did!)

Try and take away as much as you can from the 5 days... do wat they ask you to - ie give welcome and thankyou speeches to presenters, present to a group, take part in all the team building sessions etc. trust me it really helps.. plus u get a certificate too!

oh, n i forgot, they took us for a field activity on the wednesday, for us it was a treasure hunt and it was really fun! one of teh passers-by asked us if we were in the amazing race LOL! so for that, take some casual clothes, with shoes you can run around in, but ones that look good (becoz afterwards you'll be having dinner at a formal restaurant with UBS staff)... dnt forget to take a smart-casual jacket (one that is warm coz ull be in the city at nite).

omg i think ive said enuff now n i hope that helps!

GOOD LUCK AND ENJOY!

basket.case

HSC
hah, oh wow haiderr, thanks so much - that absolutely covered everything!

it sounds so fun..
I'm not too fussed about facilities; beds, showers/toilets, food (but I really appreciate the extra info- prepare myself!!) .. but I guess I'm just a little intimidated by the whole world of UBS and everything, however naive/cliche that seems.

I am excited, believe me, but I just hope I won't be the absolute finance noob of the lot, if that makes any sense to anyone :lol:

it sounds like it's going to be like school camp, only with executives and dinner suits.. perfect!

no but really. thanks haiderr! and if anyone else has any thoughts or is going to this years', feel free to add on!!

haiderr

Goldn_i
HSC
lol your most welcome basket.case! lol funny name

and dont be scared, there r all kinds of ppl there = finance freaks, ppl who dont even know what finance means, and ppl somewhere in btwn... its good to b inbtwn but not knowing nythin will NOT bagg you out!

n you make heaps of friends really easily...they hav team building n leadership exercises to introduce everyone and you almost instantly have like you 3 best friends for the camp, and you get to know everyone... i think out of the 50 that went last yr, ive got 25 on msn. i speak to 2 of them regularly!

GOOD LUCK!

P.S. if u hav ny questions, fire away!

Oh and if you are lucky enough to see Miles Drury's presentations, take notes, record it on ur fone, do wateva u can.. he is the BEST! lol

oh n one more thing (lol i love talkin bout this topic) if you hav alan and helen as your supervisors tell em i said hi lol. theyre really nice ppl!

Last edited:

Allan vB

HSC
I did a week of work experience at UBS, I was the first public school student ever which pleased me... It was awesome to be there for a whole week, working in various departments. I loved it. The highlight was definitely trading $500,000,000 electronically... The guy who I was with was on the phone at the time and i hate to think what might have happened had I missed a zero, lol... Don't you just love finance?

Have fun at the academy!

haiderr

Goldn_i
HSC
OMG!!! how did u get work experience there? lol i asked there recruitment manager personally, coz she knew me from the academy. i asked my mentor from ubs, n they both said it wudnt be possible coz they dnt recruit ny school students. did u go to the academy last yr too alllan?

Allan vB

HSC
I wasn't at the academy.

Originally, I wanted to do a week at Macquarie, but to my dismay,I found that they do not take high school students.

I was a long at difficult process... Be persistent!

haiderr

Goldn_i
HSC
omg lucky u! i personally spoke to the Head of Reruiting - Naomi Clements i think, and she said they do not take high school students at all! oh well, ur very lucky and its gonna look awesome on ur resume! not that u need it anyway, reading some of the stuff here u wont have space to put that on ur resume LOLLL!!! so congrats!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)