Tips for Eco ? (1 Viewer)

531Dropout

HSC
Sup,

Going into Year 11 next year and was curious: any tips and pointers you guys can give me before the school term starts? From what I've heard eco is probably one of the hardest subjects out there and I really want a head start.
Like, what was the hardest/easiest thing in economics? What should I focus on? Any good websites I can read for current affairs in economics? etc

Any advice is welcome :cool:

aoc

HSC
trading economics has good stats so do RBA snapshots, sign up for keystone educations economics update (its free but they havnt posted in a while), prelim eco doesnt have any challenging stuff, yr 12 eco has quite a bit of content so make sure you constantly revise earlier topics or you will forget info, hardest topic in yr 12 was probs labour market policies (but thats cause i stopped paying attention after trials), go into your tests knowing core stats and some stats for essay questions you think will come up, hardest thing is probs essay writing so make sure you get a good format for that - you can learn by looking at some eco essays that got band 6 i guess

if your teacher isnt that great (mine wasnt) basically read ahead, answer the questions dixon has and ask your teacher anything youre unsure about.
Do as many past papers as you can get your hands on since there arent many for eco

im sure others will have more useful information but this is what i remember

jiujiu1123

HSC
I think reading is one of the most important skills you need to acquire. Keep up with current news as I think it really helped me to gain a more fresh perspective.

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
Memorise stats and think about every concept conceptually and how it does/will interlink with other syllabus points in the course.

SuperAltastic

HSC
I strongly recommend learning how to write good economics essay as it will be quite useful for year 12. Also learn the basic concepts well like supply and demand, monetary policy, fiscal policy and etc. As most of year 12 economic builds upon year 11 economics. Also stay up to date with current economic affairs and market trends. Finally I would recommend you start reading the RBA monetary policy decisions each month as they have good economic terms which you can use.

MrKay

HSC
Main high tier verbs mostly asked: Explain, Analyse, Discuss and Evaluate/Assess

In all of them, it pretty much boils down to one fundamental thing: when linking ideas/concepts, do not skip over the stuff in between

ie. DO NOT go from A-->E

Make a link through all (associated) concepts in between A and E
ie. A-->B-->C-->D-->E

Obviously the content needed to adapt to this is many, but it itsn't an abstract idea (eco is pretty straightforward if you know all your stuff) and in most cases you can always find links.

Also, make sure to remember all your content by the time of your test and don't leave any gaps in your notes.

For essays, just remember to implement stats to support your theoretical analysis in essays by linking real life examples as evidence of this theory
eg. This can clearly be seen in (stat/event)

Also, take a look at mreditor's guides, it helped me out a lot:
http://community.boredofstudies.org/22/economics/324354/state-rankers-guide-economics.html
http://community.boredofstudies.org/22/economics/336298/state-rankers-guide-economics-part-2-a.html

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)