Writing short answer responses and essays in HSC Economics is different to that of any other subject not only are essays a different stricter but short answers need to be written in a particular way which only comes through practice. This was the guide I used in my HSC to answer any short answer question.
1. Understand the verb, in this case means to compare and contrast i.e. find similarities and difference between.
2. Recollect information in relation to the dot point.
3. Look at marks given (lets assume its 3 marks).
4. Plan in the side margin or in your head the points you wish to convey, often 1 mark = 1 piece of content unless its a 6 marker. You'll get more practice and understanding on how much information to put as you do past papers and look over marking criteria's.
5. Answer the question in a short and succinct manner, maybe go one line over.
6. If you finish early quickly look over the answer.
Sample Answer to: Compare and contrast international and regional business cycles (NOTE: not the best one, this dot point is very obscure to write about).
The international business cycle is used to analyse the fluctuations in the level of economic activity in the global economy, this is compared to the regional business cycle which focuses on analysing GDP fluctuations in a domestic economy. The international business cycle is influenced by trade, technological and financial flow and so is the regional business cycle. In addition both the international and regional business cycles are weakened by protection, government policies and global exchange rates.