please help yr 11 n 12 economic students (1 Viewer)

k_m

HSC
hey ppl,

im in yr 10 and hav aready chosen d subjects im gonna do 4 yrs 11 n 12

-Advanced english -2 units of religion (compulsory at my skul)
-mathematics -business studies
-economics -legal studies

but i wanna change eco 2 modern history n take up extension history coz i heard eco is really hard n alot of problem solving. im better at doing essays n writing stuff den problem solving, i am alrite in maths.

wat should i do? is eco really dat hard? would i b better of doing modern history?

Zarathustra

Dasein
The ficticious world of subject, substance, "reaso
HSC
I've only done economics, so I wouldn't know about modern history but I've heard that it's very interesting. I do mainly maths and science, as do a lot of eco people.
In the HSC it's 20 marks multiple choice, 40 short answer and 40 essay.
Seeing as you do legal and business studies, I would say that economics would make a nice triad...
Eco isn't that hard, if you're decent at maths the graphs shouldn't be difficult to understand and if your english skills are above average you would have no problem with 40% of the exam...
An interest in finance or aspirations for a commerce or business degree wouldn't hurt...

Last edited:

MisS_sUnShIne

eco vs modern

Well im in yr 12 now... i do both modern history and economics... i like both of them... but both are alot of work... modern is just as equally challenging as economics but just a lilttle bit more intresting. So when making your desicion just think about what you will like doing for alomost 2 years... Economics is difficult if you dont constantly revise and do your work where as modern history is ALOT of work, you have to be commited and absolutely sure you can manage learning about war and writng extra long essays on war for practically the whole prelim hsc and hsc course... in the end its up to you and what you prefer, from what i see you'd be better going for modern since you like it better or else you'll be stressing out with something you don't like.. Just remember either way it's alot of work.

sf_diegoxrock

HSC
hey, im in yr10 and im doing similar subjects to you too! =)
- Economics
- 3U Advanced English Extension
- 2U Advanced Maths
- 2U SOR
- Industrial Tech Multimedia
- Physics
pretty cool ay =D

k_m

HSC
MisS_sUnShIne said:
Well im in yr 12 now... i do both modern history and economics... i like both of them... but both are alot of work... modern is just as equally challenging as economics but just a lilttle bit more intresting. So when making your desicion just think about what you will like doing for alomost 2 years... Economics is difficult if you dont constantly revise and do your work where as modern history is ALOT of work, you have to be commited and absolutely sure you can manage <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=learning&v=56">learning</a> about war and writng extra long essays on war for practically the whole prelim hsc and hsc course... in the end its up to you and what you prefer, from what i see you'd be better going for modern since you like it better or else you'll be stressing out with something you don't like.. Just remember either way it's alot of work.
is eco a lot of problem solving though?

k_m

HSC
sf_diegoxrock said:
hey, im in yr10 and im doing similar subjects to you too! =)
- Economics
- 3U Advanced English Extension
- 2U Advanced Maths
- 2U SOR
- Industrial Tech Multimedia
- Physics
pretty cool ay =D
yeh dats pretty cool dat we hav similar subjects,not many ppl i no r doing similar subjects 2 me, so its gud 2 no sum1 does.

wat exactly is industrial tech multimedia?

hyperbole

i LURRVE to exaggerate.
HSC
Hey k_m,

I don't study Modern History, but I am studying Economics and Business Studies.
And if I had my choice again, I would choose History over Business Studies, not Economics. But again, its your choice.

I find economics extremely interesting, especially now that I understand what the news is going on about, and the Budget. It might sound boring, but its not. Its actually very logical, as long as you get pass the 'all other things being equal' stuff. Um, its also not that hard, as long as you revise, and understand the demand/supply curves etc. If your math is good, that would also be a bonus.
You still have a month to decide whether or not you want to drop economics for modern history, and hey, you might even decide to do both, and drop one of your other subjects instead.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
k_m said:
is eco a lot of problem solving though?
I'm an 04'er so I've just finished the HSC. I did economics as well as modern hist and hist ext. Economics is about learning theory and applying it into hypothetical as well as real cases. The problem solving does play a role but it isnt as prominant as I think YOU are thinking :p

Im also a "essay" type person and maths isnt really my thing in terms of interest as well as capability. Eco is alot of essay writing as well. Maths barely comes into it. (this is only high school economics of course). Eco is only hard if you cannot see the big picture and make everything CLICK. I really like economics as a subject but I also love modern and hist ext LOTS.

Edit: I only just realised that you're only in yr 10. Hmmm, I think you should give economics the first try, rather than dumping it as a consideration right off the bat before even trying it. The weird thing is that yr 11 economics is very different to year 12. In every situation, this is a difficult thing to answer because it's early days. I dont think a few weeks of beginners yr 11 economics is truly enough to determine your interest in it.

This might go down to gut instinct. Just keep in mind that poeple's opinions on subjects vary wildly and there is always ALWAYS another opinion to contradict something else.

pungpui

HSC
from wat i heard from friends...history is so much essay work...my friend said most is just writing and shit...i'd walk past the classroom and everytime without fail i'd c them head down, while the teacher was staring at them...mayb it was just him being lazy but i dont think so...

eco is awesome...i did it 04 and its sooooooo much more interesting and useful than history IMO...its soooooo not maths as well...misconception to say the least... the hardest thing you gotta do is pluck numbers into a really simple formula...my sister in yr 8 can even do em!

1 question...y on earth r u choosing ur subjects fr yr 12 now?

S

Shuter

Personally from my experiance, I found economics very easy, it's all just common sense, and you just have to learn a few specific names for a few terms. I probably did about 20 hours of study for economics over the course of the whole 2 years. Give it a try, as long as you 'get' it, you'll be fine.

I also started business studies in year 11 but found it literally so easy it was boring. I heard it got a bit harder after I dropped it but really I just found the subject a joke. I changed to biology which I probably didn't like the content as much, but still ended up topping that. Again Bio is just pretty much a common sense course - learn a few concepts then apply them to a variety of situations.

So just give ecos a try and see how you go, it probably depends on the person. History will be alot more rope learning and remember precise dates ect (which I don't really like too much). While Economics is rather learning concepts and applying them (something I find much easier to do), and there's a few fairly easy calculations and formulas you have to remember.

The level of english required and the amount of writing will probably be in general pretty similar.

Last edited by a moderator:

monique66

Eco isn't that bad, its a lot of essays and logical reasoning, not that much calculations, just mostly explaining things...

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
pungpui said:
from wat i heard from friends...history is so much essay work...my friend said most is just writing and shit...i'd walk past the classroom and everytime without fail i'd c them head down, while the teacher was staring at them...mayb it was just him being lazy but i dont think so...
That's a misrepresentation of what history subjects are about. That is merely THAT class. History is about discussion and debating in order to make you think. That's the hard (but more engaging way if you really like the subject) way to create better responses at the end of the year. Of course, if you wanna rote learn, do it. History IS essay work but the original poster is an "essay" person. History is not about writing 10000 pages every lesson and doing something non-intellectual like copying from the textbook word for word. At least it shoudln't be. It's what you make of it.

emily_13

HSC
I'll be sitting the 2005 hsc and i do both modern history and economics. Both are enjoyable in different ways, but i think i prefer Eco. I think i would go a lot better in modern if i was better at english because there is a lot of essay writing. i dont know whether this is just my school but in my prelim exam for modern history we had to write 6 essays :S

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
eco has only suddenly really clicked for me now since i started the yr 12 course (im an 05er)... i think you should give it a go and if u dont enjoy it.. drop it. but dont just give it up because of what other people say. its up to you to make ur own decisions

k_m

HSC
THANk YOU ALL VERY MUCH WHO REPLIED TO AND ANSWERED MY QUESTIONS...IT HAS HELPED ME ALOT!

i think i want 2 change business 2 modern hist now. eco sounds pretty gud i think i will keep it.

but will i b in 2 much pressure and stress with d rest of d subjects i do, plus wif me doing mod hist aswell as eco?

im not really an organised person wat do yous think?

Last edited:

*Ya_So_CuTe*

HSC
hey km! yeh keep eco, change business to modern!

hey km!

i do both economics and modern and i love them both! im taking ext history as well and modern is really interesting..but don't think it's not hard! it's a subject where you do have to think about it! not as clear cut as some others. essays are my strength as well and both economics, modern and ext history require essays. i also so advanded eng and ext english so i've found all the essay writing in my subjects has made essays my strong point. Economics is a challenging subject but if u take an interest in news/current affairs ..it'll come a lot easier to you as u can relate what you learn in class to what's actually happening in the economy.

My friend does business studies and it's based on business reports not essays and from what i hear ,can be very dry. Scaling wise as well, Business scales down, Modern scales up +2 and Economics scales up +5 or +6 so if ur after the best UAI u can get..definitely change business for economics!!!

Conspirocy

HSC
k_m said:
THANk YOU ALL VERY MUCH WHO REPLIED TO AND ANSWERED MY QUESTIONS...IT HAS HELPED ME ALOT!

i think i want 2 change business 2 modern hist now. eco sounds pretty gud i think i will keep it.

but will i b in 2 much pressure and stress with d rest of d subjects i do, plus wif me doing mod hist aswell as eco?

im not really an organised person wat do yous think?
hey i did economics, business studies and legal studies. now if your pretty lazy i would recomend doing economics and business studies just because some of the topics overlap and just gets you in the right frame of mind for those subjects. the stuff you said about problems solving...i dunno i thought business studies are more problem solving but then you just really have to apply the textbook answer so not alot of thinking maybe just more writing. if anything i would look at legal studies cause that was just hard with really bad textbooks depending on what options you do.

k_m

HSC
na i wanna do legal studies.... im eager 2 do d topic of crime.

i think im gonna change biz coz i already am goin 2 do eco. hopefully i'll b allowed 2 change subjects... fingers crossed!!!

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
k_m said:
na i wanna do legal studies.... im eager 2 do d topic of crime.

i think im gonna change biz coz i already am goin 2 do eco. hopefully i'll b allowed 2 change subjects... fingers crossed!!!
hey i'm in yr 12 + i do economics and legals.. good work on the selection.. but u asked the question on organisation before about the subjects.:
economics: i think u have to be pretty organised, because the course generally works faster than others (e.g. legal)
legal: preliminary legal isn't that hard, maybe because i learnt some of it in the 'law' topic from commerce. generally keeping the notes together will get u a good mark. legal definately isn't as rushed as economics.

matthewmorris

HSC
k_m said:
hey ppl,

im in yr 10 and hav aready chosen d subjects im gonna do 4 yrs 11 n 12

-Advanced english -2 units of religion (compulsory at my skul)
-mathematics -business studies
-economics -legal studies

but i wanna change eco 2 modern history n take up extension history coz i heard eco is really hard n alot of problem solving. im better at doing essays n writing stuff den problem solving, i am alrite in maths.

wat should i do? is eco really dat hard? would i b better of doing modern history?

no economics is not hard at all, it is only a "myth" that only bright students do it because it is so hard......wrong! im in yr 11 now and do eco and also mod hist. econimics only will ever use basic maths skill, eg work out a % etc etc... once u get the basic "vibe" of the subject which u understand in the fisrt term of yr 11 eco all the rest of the course is an extensoin on that basic understanding.....it is no harde than any subject in ur school. i personally think that ecos is easier than mod hist. i must say im a lazy student at home and dont do a great deal of study but i came 5th out of 15 in my half yearly for ecos......and i love it!!!!!!!!! econmics is great! how often can u talk mod hist at the dinner table, but with eco it is every where every day

regards matt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)