B Arts vs B international and global studies??? (1 Viewer)

cryovolcano

HSC
N/A
:smile:
Got an Atar of 93.25...and have't decided which one to take...
Why the big difference between the cut-offs of the two courses?Does B International Studies has better career opportunities?

Last edited:

DanielSpaniel

HSC
Uni Grad
Neither have good career opportunities. I would suggest doing a solid commerce degree with arts or INGS :)

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
If you're 100% sure about the majors you want to pursue, go with INGS. If you want more flexibility, go with the BA. It's really not too important.

At this stage job prospects are the last thing you should be worrying about.

DanielSpaniel

HSC
Uni Grad
Dude, job prospects are the first thing they should be worrying about.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
No, it's the last thing they should be worrying about, that's why I said it. You're in uni to learn, not to get a job.

Last edited:

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC
No, it's the last thing they should be worrying about, that's why I said it. You're in uni to learn, not to get a job.
What's the point in graduating with a degree that can't get you a job? Ofc uni is for learning but considering job prospects at this stage is also important.
I would suggest op to do a dual degree so can pursue passion for one degree and actually get a job for the 2nd degree

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Not at all. There are job prospects in every field, and while some may have more than others, if you are good at what you do there will always be something available to you when the time comes.

But that's far into the future. What is most important now, when you are first entering university, is to study something you enjoy. There's no point in doing a Commerce degree just for the job prospects.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
I just said there are job prospects in every field. I have no idea where you got that Gloria Jeans crap from.

My point still stands.

DanielSpaniel

HSC
Uni Grad
There ARE job prospects in the humanities...maybe 50-100 grad jobs per year for thousands of grads to fight for.

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC
Show me your sources.
Danielspaniel is probably exaggerating the stats but yea with that type of degree it's kinda hard to find a job. I have a family friend who graduated with design (fashion), whole class only 3 got hired and her being one of the lucky ones. Even then, the pay isn't great. And another who has been stuck with unemployment for 3yrs since graduation (i don't know this person but my parents told me about him/her).

Tldr: find a degree that's employable (not saying find a degree purely based on job prospects) or be stuck with a 40k debt working at a coffee shop. Take the advice or leave it.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
All the examples you've brought up are hearsay, but nevertheless, there is a great difference between fashion and the humanities/social sciences, which the OP is looking at studying. The creative arts (fashion, visual arts, music and the like) are one of the few areas where the job prospects are likely so limited that you would seriously want to consider what you wanted to get out of your qualification. Fortunately, most of the people studying creative arts have an extreme passion for what they do, and that's enough for them to make up their minds. And that's fine.

Creative arts degrees teach a very specific set of skills that are only applicable in a few areas, and depending on the institution, have varying degrees of academic rigour. Meanwhile, Arts degrees teach skills which can be applied to a wide range of areas. If you do well in an Arts degree, you'll have enough options open to you. And even if the pay isn't great, so what? You're presumably doing something you enjoy, and you'll at least be making enough money to live in reasonable comfort. The idea that somehow an Arts degree will condemn you to a life of making coffee is simply ludicrous.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)