Econometrics (1 Viewer)

sida1049

HSC
Hey guys.

I'm enrolling into Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics) and Bachelor of Arts this year, and currently planning to major in statistics and economics.

Regarding the Arts aspect of my degree, I have to take 18 credit points (12 of which are from senior units) outside of my major (economics). Naturally the next most relevant area of study is econometrics. However, since I'm already planning to major in statistics and economics, is econometrics actually useful for me? The contact hours of econometrics isn't particularly attractive, and I harbour interests towards other areas of Arts, such as philosophy. I asked an econometrics student during Open Day a similar question, and he said that I wouldn't be missing much, though I'd be grateful if anyone else would like to confirm this.

Thank you!

JasonG123

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys.

I'm enrolling into Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics) and Bachelor of Arts this year, and currently planning to major in statistics and economics.

Regarding the Arts aspect of my degree, I have to take 18 credit points (12 of which are from senior units) outside of my major (economics). Naturally the next most relevant area of study is econometrics. However, since I'm already planning to major in statistics and economics, is econometrics actually useful for me? The contact hours of econometrics isn't particularly attractive, and I harbour interests towards other areas of Arts, such as philosophy. I asked an econometrics student during Open Day a similar question, and he said that I wouldn't be missing much, though I'd be grateful if anyone else would like to confirm this.

Thank you!
If you're considering Honours in Economics, then do the minimum required Econometrics to do Honours (ECMT1020, ECMT2150 and ECOS3903/4) and leave it at that.

I haven't done any stats so can't really comment further. However if an Econometrics subject has a stats/maths substitute, I would generally always looks to do the maths/stats substitute (with the exception of ECOS3903 which is a great subject and ECOS3904 if you're really into Macro).

pHyRe

HSC
economics/stats should be enough. thats what im doing. ecmt would overlap quite a bit id suspect. ive only done ecmt1020 though

but you would still learn a lot because its a lot more applied

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)